Throwback Thursday: 1973 - A season of many team & individual accomplishments | Rams Yearbook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, but he went to my mother's high school in the town where I was conceived. And he made one career pass reception (from GABE) in the NFL that helped the LA RAMS avoid an upset at the hands of Atlanta in 1970 at the Coliseum (10-10 tie).
Did you like the Gabriel & Hadl pictures? As a 7 year old back then I could not believe the Rams went from Gabriel to Hadl, I thought it was such a downgrade, in essence, they both had one more good year in them. I thought Gabriel was so much younger, but Hadl and Gabe were born the same year 1940, however, Gabe was 6 months younger.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yeah, but he went to my mother's high school in the town where I was conceived. And he made one career pass reception (from GABE) in the NFL that helped the LA RAMS avoid an upset at the hands of Atlanta in 1970 at the Coliseum (10-10 tie).
That's cool.

I just need a little more time, and I will get over it.

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
Did you like the Gabriel & Hadl pictures? As a 7 year old back then I could not believe the Rams went from Gabriel to Hadl, I thought it was such a downgrade, in essence, they both had one more good year in them. I thought Gabriel was so much younger, but Hadl and Gabe were born the same year 1940, however, Gabe was 6 months younger.
Yeah, the pics illustrate the comment elsewhere in the thread that GABE looked the part and Hadl had the receding hairline. But before Hadl got the back injury in the Green Bay game, the LA RAMS were as good as Miami and better then the Minute Scrotum BiQueens.

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
David Ray did miss three FG's in that playoff loss, sad part, in 1973 Ray had a great year. Rams struggled finding a kicker during the Knox years. Ray was replaced by Tom Dempsey (God Bless his Sole) in 75, but Dempsey struggled to get trajectory on the football because of the half foot and that led to many blocked FG's a couple in the playoffs that were catastrophic.

The Rams finally parted ways with Dempsey in 1977 and claimed a kicker off waivers from the New Orleans Saints by the name of Rafael Septién and the Rams had their first soccer style kicker. In 1978 the Rams drafted Frank Corral from UCLA thus replacing Septién for several years until 1982 when Mike Lansford from the University of Washington beat out Corral.
Ray was the NFL scoring leader for the 1973 season.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yeah, the pics illustrate the comment elsewhere in the thread that GABE looked the part and Hadl had the receding hairline. But before Hadl got the back injury in the Green Bay game, the LA RAMS were as good as Miami and better then the Minute Scrotum BiQueens.
Do you know the story about behind the injury and when it happened? I do recall reading about it somewhat, but Hadl was never the same, however, he played that whole game and it was week 6 of that season. It's too bad because I agree the Rams were special that year and I actually believe because of the loss against Dallas that Knox change his philosophy in the playoffs after that loss.

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
Do you know the story about behind the injury and when it happened? I do recall reading about it somewhat, but Hadl was never the same, however, he played that whole game and it was week 6 of that season. It's too bad because I agree the Rams were special that year and I actually believe because of the loss against Dallas that Knox change his philosophy in the playoffs after that loss.
I think I only became aware of the injury and the circumstances surrounding it (vs. the Pack) in the internet age with all the information that is available when you search. I really noticed the decline in his fastball in 1974, so it must have become chronic.

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
If you fondly recall the 1973 LA RAMS, you might find this interesting:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
1654359939916.png

Los Angeles, January 24, 1973--Rams' New Coach--Chuck Knox (center) talks with Los Angeles Rams' owner Carroll Rosenbloom (right) and Don Klostermnan, ...