Throwback Thursday: 1973 - A season of many team & individual accomplishments | Rams Yearbook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What an amazing year, although it ended bad in Dallas with a playoff loss. Back then, the NFL rotated home field for the playoffs and even though the Rams beat Dallas in October and had a superior record to the Cowboys in post season, it was in Dallas, where the Rams lost 26-17.

Chuck Knox first season as Head Coach with Dick Vermeil as his running back coach & Ray Malavasi as Defensive Coordinator with Ken Meyer as the Offensive Coordinator highlighted a renown coaching staff, it was a season to remember and special for yours truly as that was my first year as a true Ram fan...Here since Hadl.
1654277349617.png

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
That was one of my all-time-favorite seasons as a Rams' fan; and they didn't even win a playoff game!

I was thirteen, and had been a Rams' fan for four years. So, of course, I knew everything.

I fell in love with the Rams' helmets and uniforms. When changes were announced, I was confused, disappointed and worried. Did not see the new uniforms and colors until highlights of the Rams' Week 1 win at K.C. were shown. That's how little football coverage there was back in the Dark Ages.

When the Rams hired Chuck Knox, I said "Who!?!"

When they traded Coy Bacon to the Chargers for John Hadl, I yelled "Why!?!"

When they traded Roman Gabriel to the Eagles, I screamed "NO!!!"

Did I mention that I was kind of an idiot when I was thirteen?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

That's the way I felt and I was 7 years of age in September of 73 and was extremely disappointed when they brought in the balding dumpy looking John Hadl for the Greek God Like Roman Gabriel. However, the Rams wanted to add a quality QB because of the injuries the Gabe had in 72, but it was Gabriel that requested a trade once the Rams acquired Hadl. Thus they traded Gabriel to the Eagles for WR Harold Jackson & RB Tony Baker.

One more quick tidbit, I remember they televised a preseason game between the Rams and Miami Dolphins in August of 73 and I recall watching with my father as the Rams were down 28-0 and Knox looked clueless on the sideline. Hadl looked awful the Rams made the score look respectful as James Harris came in in the 2nd half and threw two TD's as the final was 28-14, but I remember my father saying to me..."Den it might be a long year for your Rams."

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What a season that was. The names on that team too, boy were they loaded. Blood, Hacksaw, Dryer, Olsen, Jackson, Saul, just on and on.

Fantastic watch too btw Den thx for putting it up. :thumbsup1:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
So many new starters that year; and they were a nice combination of veterans and youth.

Stukes (CB), Williams (OT), Preece (S), Hadl (QB) and Jackson (WR) came from other teams.

Reynolds (MLB), McCutcheon (HB), McMillan (CB) and Geddes (OLB) were young first time starters.

The O-Line was really old and really good. If you watch the game-highlights, #90 DT Larry Brooks is dominant. Thought Brooks was a great player in the 1970s.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Stukes (CB), Williams (OT), Preece (S), Hadl (QB) and Jackson (WR) came from other teams.

The O-Line was really old and really good. If you watch the game-highlights, #90 DT Larry Brooks is dominant. Thought Brooks was a great player in the 1970s.
Brooks was vastly underrated as to Steve Preece, I won't forgive him in the playoff game against Dallas with the Rams climb back into that game to make it 17-16 and Preece had an easy interception against Drew Person, but collided with another DB (think it was Eddie McMillian) thus enabling Person to catch the ball and take it the distance for a 24-16 lead late in the game.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
What an amazing year, although it ended bad in Dallas with a playoff loss. Back then, the NFL rotated home field for the playoffs and even though the Rams beat Dallas in October and had a superior record to the Cowboys in post season, it was in Dallas, where the Rams lost 26-17.

Chuck Knox first season as Head Coach with Dick Vermeil as his running back coach & Ray Malavasi as Defensive Coordinator with Ken Meyer as the Offensive Coordinator highlighted a renown coaching staff, it was a season to remember and special for yours truly as that was my first year as a true Ram fan...Here since Hadl.
View attachment 54428
I love how you love this year as it was my first year as a fan. (Didn't know that at the time.)

I asked my dad to bring me to an even John Hadl was going to make a talk in my hometown Bakersfield. He was a busy, dedicated Physician and he had responsibilities that night. I felt crushed. Still gives me pause that ended up being his only season with the Rams.

I have favorite Rams players for different reasons. For the rest of my life I suppose I will wear #99 but Hadl is my sentimental favorite along with Harold Jackson as those too were the magic to me that year.

That team so many years ago produced a love for a team I may never have had to celebrate 24/7 as World Champions this year.

RAMS life is sooooooo GOOD!!!

GO RAMS!!!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You buncha old bastids!

Yes, my first Rams game I ever saw was the Browns @ Rams in 1973. We won at the Coliseum and the following week lost in Dallas. I bought the game day program for that game vs. the Browns on Ebay, because the original one we had was long gone.......

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
For the rest of my life I suppose I will wear #99 but Hadl is my sentimental favorite along with Harold Jackson as those too were the magic to me that year.

That team so many years ago produced a love for a team I may never have had to celebrate 24/7 as World Champions this year.

RAMS life is sooooooo GOOD!!!

GO RAMS!!!
For me it was Merlin Olsen just special in so many ways. At first I was anti Hadl as I posted Roman Gabriel looked the part whereas John Hadl looked like a guy that on weekends spent it up at his trailer camp with a fishing hat, but I ended up really liking Hadl in 73.

Problem was in the Green Bay game that year apparently Hadl hurt his back, which was week 6 and it just continued to get worse. That's why in 74, at practice Rams owner Carroll Rosenbloom asked Hadl what was wrong with his arm and why he could not throw a spiral and Hadl responded by saying, it wasn't his arm, it was his back and a couple weeks later, Hadl was dealt to Green Bay.

Always felt the Rams had great teams those years, but could never get over the top because the Cowboys & Vikings had superior QB's in Staubach & Tarkenton. I liked Harris, but he was not consistent and I never felt the Rams gave Jaworski a legitimate shot, in fact, I still feel he should have started in 1975 against Dallas and maybe the outcome would have been different.

1654315638700.png

1654315679310.png

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
That was my first *full* season as a Rams fan, as I had become one in the latter part of the previous season. Lot of good memories.

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
That was one of my all-time-favorite seasons as a Rams' fan; and they didn't even win a playoff game!

I was thirteen, and had been a Rams' fan for four years. So, of course, I knew everything.

I fell in love with the Rams' helmets and uniforms. When changes were announced, I was confused, disappointed and worried. Did not see the new uniforms and colors until highlights of the Rams' Week 1 win at K.C. were shown. That's how little football coverage there was back in the Dark Ages.

Their game at Miami in the preseason was nationally televised and they wore the new white jerseys. Such a cool look and basically the same uniform they wore in Super Bowl XXXIV.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Their game at Miami in the preseason was nationally televised and they wore the new white jerseys. Such a cool look and basically the same uniform they wore in Super Bowl XXXIV.
I have no memory of a nationally televised 1973 pre-season game featuring the Rams but you’re the second poster to mention one, so I must have forgotten.

I seem to recall your namesake missing three FGs in the ‘73 playoff loss in Dallas.

Tano

Legend
This was my first full season as a Ram fan as well.

I watched the Rams on TV in prior years with my dad but 73 was the first year that I also listened to them on the radio.

Enberg was awesome to listen to.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I seem to recall your namesake missing three FGs in the ‘73 playoff loss in Dallas.
David Ray did miss three FG's in that playoff loss, sad part, in 1973 Ray had a great year. Rams struggled finding a kicker during the Knox years. Ray was replaced by Tom Dempsey (God Bless his Sole) in 75, but Dempsey struggled to get trajectory on the football because of the half foot and that led to many blocked FG's a couple in the playoffs that were catastrophic.

The Rams finally parted ways with Dempsey in 1977 and claimed a kicker off waivers from the New Orleans Saints by the name of Rafael Septién and the Rams had their first soccer style kicker. In 1978 the Rams drafted Frank Corral from UCLA thus replacing Septién for several years until 1982 when Mike Lansford from the University of Washington beat out Corral.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
David Ray did miss three FG's in that playoff loss, sad part, in 1973 Ray had a great year. Rams struggled finding a kicker during the Knox years. Ray was replaced by Tom Dempsey (God Bless his Sole) in 75, but Dempsey struggled to get trajectory on the football because of the half foot and that led to many blocked FG's a couple in the playoffs that were catastrophic.

The Rams finally parted ways with Dempsey in 1977 and claimed a kicker off waivers from the New Orleans Saints by the name of Rafael Septién and the Rams had their first soccer style kicker. In 1978 the Rams drafted Frank Corral from UCLA thus replacing Septién for several years until 1982 when Mike Lansford from the University of Washington beat out Corral.
Yes, and Septien kicked for Dallas for about a decade.

Dempsey's blocked-FGA in the first quarter of the 1976 NFC Championship Game was brutal.

As I recall ... and my memory has already been corrected on this thread ... the Rams took the opening kick-off and moved down-the-field mostly with their running-game. Drive took-up much of the first quarter, and the Rams had first-and-goal but failed to get into the end-zone. Knox chose the extra-point-distance FGA. It was blocked and returned 90-plus-yards for a Vikings' score.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As I recall ... and my memory has already been corrected on this thread ... the Rams took the opening kick-off and moved down-the-field mostly with their running-game. Drive took-up much of the first quarter, and the Rams had first-and-goal but failed to get into the end-zone. Knox chose the extra-point-distance FGA. It was blocked and returned 90-plus-yards for a Vikings' score.
You're right about that also in 1975 NFC Championship Game the trailing 7-0 the Rams drove down and had to settle for 3, but again, FG blocked Dallas returned it into Ram territory and scored another TD. Dempsey was very frustrating that way IMO and what took the Rams so long to go with a soccer style kicker.

David Ray

Rookie
Name
Randall
I have no memory of a nationally televised 1973 pre-season game featuring the Rams but you’re the second poster to mention one, so I must have forgotten.

Yeah, but he went to my mother's high school in the town where I was conceived. And he made one career pass reception (from GABE) in the NFL that helped the LA RAMS avoid an upset at the hands of Atlanta in 1970 at the Coliseum (10-10 tie).