Three Words

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Interest? surely- who wouldn't be. When they dig deep enough to see the truth, I think they will go another direction. Working hard in a pro day is hardly a measure of someones work ethic. A measure is when nobody is looking and you are working because you know it makes you better- not when people are scheduled to come see you and you are trying to get paid. Who doesn't have great work ethic in that scenario? These rumors have legs- they have been around a while. Most ignore them. Sure there have been players with questionable work ethic overcome it= but odds are- if you are the type that does just enough to get by, you don't usually develop hard work ethic. You don't work out in the off season all of a sudden (unless maybe going into a contract year). I have been a sales manager for many years, and one thing is certain with most- if you don't come in with good work ethic, you don't usually develop it. true for all scenarios including sports.
Nobody at this level, being drafted this high, will have anything ignored. Those days are long gone. Our staff does as much, or MUCH more than any staff in this particular area, IMO.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Deion Sanders, Julius Peppers....and I watched a lot of Vernon Gholston's tape, and to me, it wasn't that he took plays off, it is that he wasn't a very good player technique wise, or instinctive wise. Body like Tarzan, played like Jane.

I don't recall that anyone ever said Dieon was lazy on the field.

RamzFanz

Damnit
makes you also wonder how well some of those guys could have been had they been workaholics? some maybe realized they needed to work harder and did, and some maybe never got to their full potential. I will say this- I think Clowney will be a very good player, but I don't think he will be all time great because of that factor.

Moss didn't come in with that label- he developed it- he came in with Weed issues if I remember correctly.

All I needed to hear was his own coach question it- that is telling. he praised Lattimores work ethic and when asked about clowney's said "it isn't Lattimores" which is a nice way to say it isn't great. Not to mention what my eyes saw the last 2 years. We will see. talent alone will make him a very good DE- if he doesn't improve his work ethic, he wont ever be all time great.

What you saw the last two years was out performing Quinn in his 2 college years. Think about it.

What I have found is that almost all analysts who watch multiple entire games, never come away with the "takes plays off" attitude. They all seem to come away with the "freak athlete" attitude.

Does he have a top work ethic and regimen? Maybe not. Will he be an immediate starter and impact player especially on a team that already has a pass rush? I can't see how he couldn't be.

He is excellent at applying pressure even through double and triple teaming. Some teams even used quadruple teaming. My god.

Did he get the sacks last season like in his first two seasons? No. But he did chase down RBs from behind, push defenders into QBs, and clear the field of O players that could have been running routes.

Clowney and Watkins are probably the only two players the Rams could take that would have to be accounted for by every team every game. Well, maybe evans and robinson at 13.

I hope we get Cowney or Watkins.

Last edited:

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As long as it does not affect the play in question and they get the job done when it matters, why would anyone care? This is more a question then a statement.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
As long as it does not affect the play in question and they get the job done when it matters, why would anyone care? This is more a question then a statement.
Because you develop "tells"

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because you develop "tells"

I get that, but you could use those "tells" and do the opposite too. If I was the HC I would want the high motor guy with less talent the a lazy guy with talent coming out of his azz. I just can't do laziness, just burns my azz!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I get that, but you could use those "tells" and do the opposite too. If I was the HC I would want the high motor guy with less talent the a lazy guy with talent coming out of his azz. I just can't do laziness, just burns my azz!
Except tells tend to be subconciuos,and yeah good things happen when you hustle,unexpected good things

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
(1)Start (2)The (3)Season

Is this what you're looking for? :whistle:

Or would this be better...

(1)She (2)Is (3)Hot

th

jap

Legend
I don't recall that anyone ever said Dieon was lazy on the field.

Watcha talkin' 'bout, Willis!?! Primetime was not a tackler, never placed great effort into pure, fundamental tackling. That is his #1 all-time knock!

jap

Legend
I don't care what anyone says about Clowney! If he came to the Horns, if he is truly a competitor (and I believe 1000% he is), I don't see how he can possibly be on the same team with resident Energizer Bunnies like Chris "Clark Kent" "Superman" Long and The Mighty Quinn without developing into an Energizer Bunny himself. Those two guys would simply be infectious to Clowney with their all-out, relentless assaults on the backfield. There is no way Clowney would be able to live up to his stated wish to be the best of all time without developing at the very least a similar work ethic! Remember, he would have to look these two guys in the eye every single blessed day! with sports reporters constantly asking him whether he feels he is truly on his way to being the GOAT. If you can't get respect in the locker room, any other external respect doesn't matter.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
none of which are all time greats- maybe if they did indeed have great work ethic they would be all timers?

Well, between Peppers and Carter, you have 223.5 career sacks. Mario Williams is one of the NFL's best DEs.

I'd say you could do a whole lot worse than that group. So if you're saying pass on Clowney because he won't be an all time great...might your standards be a little bit too high? I mean, how many other players in this draft do you think are absolute Hall of Fame locks? Just saying.

As far as the label, there have been plenty of great examples named. As others said before me, freakish athletes like Moss, Peppers, Mario Williams, Kevin Carter, etc. have been given that label as have big, athletic DTs.

Frankly, I think it's a bit unfair to expect a DL to go 110% on every single play. Especially those 300+ pound guys.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interest? surely- who wouldn't be. When they dig deep enough to see the truth, I think they will go another direction. Working hard in a pro day is hardly a measure of someones work ethic. A measure is when nobody is looking and you are working because you know it makes you better- not when people are scheduled to come see you and you are trying to get paid. Who doesn't have great work ethic in that scenario? These rumors have legs- they have been around a while. Most ignore them. Sure there have been players with questionable work ethic overcome it= but odds are- if you are the type that does just enough to get by, you don't usually develop hard work ethic. You don't work out in the off season all of a sudden (unless maybe going into a contract year). I have been a sales manager for many years, and one thing is certain with most- if you don't come in with good work ethic, you don't usually develop it. true for all scenarios including sports.

I guess the real question is...because there's smoke...is there fire?

People said the same thing about Alshon and yet that guy has worked his arse off in the NFL. Especially during the off-season. Spends his off-seasons with Brandon Marshall.

Some may not believe it but it's a South Carolina thing. It's the way Spurrier runs the program. He lets the guys get away with it. So they take advantage. He's very hands off. Clowney is not a passionless guy. He loves the game. He's not a guy that doesn't care about the team or winning. Some South Carolina players have overcome the culture(Jeffery) and some haven't(Rok Watkins). I guess we'll see with Clowney but, personally, I think that the Rams are the perfect spot for him. We have a couple veteran leaders in Long and Sims. We have a young superstar that Clowney will be able to work with(Quinn). We have the best DL Coach in the game. And Clowney won't have the weight of the world on him because he'll have time to be eased into his role and coached up.

I don't think Clowney will be a guy that fails to overcome the culture. I see him being a major success in the NFL.