This deserves its own thread (contract extensions)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
Have had a lot of bad luck lately. The only ones that befuddled me were Tavon and Ogeltree. I like both players but both had some serious weaknesses that were obvious when they were traded so quickly. Gurley and Cooks, while it sucks that we have to deal with it now, both were not surprising contracts for their current production. If both were healthy and still doing what they did for most of 2018 no one would care. I feel bad for all RBs in the NFL. Just continues to be very little evidence that paying a RB is worth it in the long run.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
had the Rams won the super bowl this wouldnt be such a pressing issue. but since they gambled and lost, it's a double whammy. the extensions that seem to be the worst are those that didnt necessarily need to be signed (gurley, etc.) at that point in time. not my money, and i'm not buying tickets to their stadium to support these signings either.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Have had a lot of bad luck lately. The only ones that befuddled me were Tavon and Ogeltree. I like both players but both had some serious weaknesses that were obvious when they were traded so quickly. Gurley and Cooks, while it sucks that we have to deal with it now, both were not surprising contracts for their current production. If both were healthy and still doing what they did for most of 2018 no one would care. I feel bad for all RBs in the NFL. Just continues to be very little evidence that paying a RB is worth it in the long run.

That’s the way I see it.

Gurley and Cooks should still be A+ players... At their ages and production it supported the extensions.

Kevin61

UDFA
Name
Kevin
The problem is that the wounds are entirely self inflicted. The best teams in the NFL are absolutely brutal when it comes to extending player contracts.
The Rams chose the nice guy route and got what usually comes from that.
Neither Gurley or Cooks ( and for that matter a few others like Tavon Austin) needed new contracts. They were given them despite the evidence that such extensions are extremely risky, especially in Gurley’s case. Writing off 20% of the teams yearly payroll allotment for dead money was entirely unnecessary.

I get the win now mentality, but in this case the players in question were already under team control for the next 2 years. It was a bad screw up , no way around it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Another question. Did you actually research other teams to see if they really don't have this issue?
This is my issue whenever we get these success or dysfunctional discussions about our Rams' draft history, contract history,...etc. They're usually pointed negative which is totally fine, but without looking around at the other 31 teams and doing some research on their their canvas...IMO these takes are simply myopic. This idea that other teams aren't eating contracts or paying players who's careers suddenly take a turn for the worse is kind of naive.

I felt the same way about Sneads talent track record going back to 2012. Fans have pointed fingers at the GRobs, the Tavons, the other busts...but refused to look at the big picture and the track record of other GM's, which i did...and posted...and Snead has drafted very well. Above average. There are a lot of teams out there who are really bad at consistently finding good and great players by whatever means necessary.

Anyway, just a personal gripe. Carry on.

TexasRam

Legend
Not to toot my own horn but I didn’t like the the Cooks huge signing at the time. The reason is Goff can take any WR and be productive. Look at Kupp and Woods and Now Higbee.

So I will admit that Mcvay and Snead were wrong in that signing, especially in view of the fact that they put less priority on Saffold and other areas.

So can’t argue that there is not fault on this dead money.

But cutting your losses is really
Hard, and at least Mcsnead are able to recover from some bad luck and decisions.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't like the signing at the time either. He was given a contract that an elite top 5 receiver should be given.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I didn't like the signing at the time either. He was given a contract that an elite top 5 receiver should be given.

Yeah... He kind of was, though. 4 straight seasons top 15 in yards receiving, all topping 1000yds.

14th, 2018
11th, 2017
7th, 2016
14th, 2015

But, I am tracking your logic... he isn’t exactly that #1 type. He piles up yards and makes plays. He wins matchups with speed and quickness.

Not the big strong target we want as the #1 guy in that top 5 category.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think JL55, CL91 and RQ94 were all justifiable. But signing Foles and Cooks to extension before they ever took a snap was irresponsible. Although I’m glad Foles didn’t get a massive deal.

Tavon Austin and Alex Ogletree were complete failures IMO. Both should have gotten the 5th year option.
Again lets play the hindsight game and criticize a team of executives and coaches that put us in the playoffs twice, super bowl once and a game away from a third playoffs in three years. Then we can call them dysfunctional and suggest we can them all. I don't like cutting Gurley or trading Cooks it negatively affected the cap a year earlier than we should have done IMO. But getting rid of this front office is foolish.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Again lets play the hindsight game and criticize a team of executives and coaches that put us in the playoffs twice, super bowl once and a game away from a third playoffs in three years. Then we can call them dysfunctional and suggest we can them all. I don't like cutting Gurley or trading Cooks it negatively affected the cap a year earlier than we should have done IMO. But getting rid of this front office is foolish.
Woah. When did I say we should fire them?