Think I'm the only one who didn't like the Donald pick...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
So let's forget about offense for a second then. Why use a high pick on a guy at a position of ABSOLUTE strength when you have immediate needs that can be filled??? Deone Bucannon, Darquez Dennard, Jason Verrett, Ha Ha Clinton Dix were all there and we could have traded back and got one...

I just don't really like it over other positions. Even if Donald is some Gerald McCoy type penetrator.
The trenches are where it's at, man. There's not a GM in the league that would take even Earl Thomas over an elite interior pass rusher. And there's definitely not an Earl Thomas in this draft.

fancents86

Starter
Defense wins championships. Just look at what the sea chickens did to a offensive juggernaut, and they're in our division!

scifiman

screenshot_322.png
Would like to see us improve on PD and INT. FF were great however.

scifiman

Too many other needs to fill. I don't expect to strike gold again in the late rounds like last year with Stacey. Fisher and Snead made their bed when they took Pead.
Every team has a couple of stinkers every draft. Injuries and such or sometimes players just dont fit or just dont get it (lights dont come on). Sh it happens. I think I wanted someone else and would have to look at that draft again. Same with Quick. Had high hopes for him too. But look at some of the guys we got as udfa. That makes up for it. Especially at RB. Take an RB who does not have many miles on him and teach him if he has the tools just like you would in college.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who is going to start scoring TDs? They must be expecting lots of forced fumbles and interceptions from the most explosive DL in the NFL.

Having a nasty DL is nice but the Rams were first in the NFL in sacks last year and still 15th in the league in D. The real deficincies were in the secondary at corner and safety where multiple options were open. Maybe even LB with a talent like Mosley! But holy crap we get another DL. And he's an undersized three technique. Cmon man.

Donald is a stud. Top 5 talent in this draft. He's a true game changer and those are rare.

So let's forget about offense for a second then. Why use a high pick on a guy at a position of ABSOLUTE strength when you have immediate needs that can be filled??? Deone Bucannon, Darquez Dennard, Jason Verrett, Ha Ha Clinton Dix were all there and we could have traded back and got one...

I just don't really like it over other positions. Even if Donald is some Gerald McCoy type penetrator.

The #2 defense in the league, the Carolina Panthers, had a starting secondary of Captain Munnerlyn, Melvin White, Mike Mitchell, Quintin Mikell, and Drayton Florence.

They won because their front 7 was dominant and they had a great scheme. Our defense under-performed because our scheme sucked. With a dominant front 7, you don't need a stellar secondary. You just need a DC that knows what he's doing.

You don't reach for lesser talent. That's what Linehan, Spags, Shaw, Zygmundt, etc. were great at doing.

V3

Hall of Fame
Every team has a couple of stinkers every draft. Injuries and such or sometimes players just dont fit or just dont get it (lights dont come on). Sh it happens. I think I wanted someone else and would have to look at that draft again. Same with Quick. Had high hopes for him too. But look at some of the guys we got as udfa. That makes up for it. Especially at RB. Take an RB who does not have many miles on him and teach him if he has the tools just like you would in college.

I have problems getting over stinkers when they were obvious stinkers when they were picked. Hated the Pead and Quick picks when they were made.

crazyhorns

Rookie

He will make everyone on the line better.

Who is going to start scoring TDs? They must be expecting lots of forced fumbles and interceptions from the most explosive DL in the NFL.

Having a nasty DL is nice but the Rams were first in the NFL in sacks last year and still 15th in the league in D. The real deficincies were in the secondary at corner and safety where multiple options were open. Maybe even LB with a talent like Mosley! But holy crap we get another DL. And he's an undersized three technique. Cmon man.

I share your worries, when you are as poor at defending the pass as we are why not improve on such a major weakness?

That said if Fisher identified a problem in play calling rather than personnel and in his opinion went out and fixed it by firing Walton and hiring Williams then I have less of a problem with going BPA.

I just hope he's right, he has more knowledge of D than I do.

xander47

Rookie
I share your worries, when you are as poor at defending the pass as we are why not improve on such a major weakness?

That said if Fisher identified a problem in play calling rather than personnel and in his opinion went out and fixed it by firing Walton and hiring Williams then I have less of a problem with going BPA.

Can't throw it if you don't have the time to

fastcat

Pro Bowler
They were open cuz when it was 3rd and 3 or 3rd and goal on the 2yd line and your CBs are 10yds off the line, u are giving away easy tds and 1st downs

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

We are. We brought in the best interior pass rusher in the draft.

No more 10 yard cushions with Williams

Hopefully, our D could be really good with that front 4 and our CBs playing press coverage, or the same problems we had last year could reappear, as I said I'll defer to Fisher on this one, but it does raise worries.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Sounds like a few of you think the draft is already over. We've got 10 more picks to use or maneuver with. Keep your chin up fellas.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I can't see how we will have the same problems when the CBs are close to the los on 3rd and short yardage. It's impossible to break up a 4yd pass when your 10 yds off tje los. I noticed the bad play calling in preseason then it varried over into the reg season. With a williams calling the plays I dont see a problem.

I don't know how to answer that apart from have a sit down and think about what you just said.