There's just something about Keenum, huh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Definitely has that Doug Flutie mojo on him. Hope it carries on in a full season. Otherwise, I'll be happy with the Goff era.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Best I can guess is, ask a pitcher what it's like to throw to a 5'7 batter.
Strike zone is quite a bit smaller.

I imagine that's some of what's going on here too, and I think Quick/Britt will begin to get the lion's share of Keenum's targets (unless instructed otherwise).

That's not a knock on Austin, btw. It's not an insult to say a short man is short.
And to hit a small, moving target that moves that fast? Takes incredible timing and placement.
Maybe that will improve as the season wears on though. Or not. Maybe Goff will be better at that placement.

You would think Goff will be when he's ready. This is why Tavon needs more pitches and runs. They need to go back to what works, IMHO, and save the new typical WR stuff for Goff. Training camp is over.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
heycase.gif

GAME BALL!
600x360-160918_RamsSeahawks_Social_JL_026.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
And to hit a small, moving target that moves that fast? Takes incredible timing and placement.
Maybe that will improve as the season wears on though. Or not. Maybe Goff will be better at that placement.:yay::banana:
Exactly....that's why he's here...he can fit the ball into small (smaller) windows....I see you played a lil football too...young man!:mrburns:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You would think Goff will be when he's ready. This is why Tavon needs more pitches and runs. They need to go back to what works, IMHO, and save the new typical WR stuff for Goff. Training camp is over.

I don't agree. Austin is getting open this year. He gave both Peterson and Sherman fits at times. No reason to go away from him. Case is a big boy. He's gonna have to figure out a way to make it work. Same with Tavon.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I don't agree. Austin is getting open this year. He gave both Peterson and Sherman fits at times. No reason to go away from him. Case is a big boy. He's gonna have to figure out a way to make it work. Same with Tavon.

Square pegs / round holes.

Why not scheme for the players on the field? Why make it work when it already worked?

Tavon has 8.1 YPC and they aren't handing him the ball. That can never be explained away as being logical.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
He give you a warm and fuzzy feeling! He has this hanging in his locker.
Warm-Fuzzy-Feelings.jpg

Last edited:

A55VA6

Legend
He's a guy that his teammates love, want to play hard for. He's no Brett Favre, but I think Goff learning behind him is a plus. Keenum prepares and works really hard.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Square pegs / round holes.

Why not scheme for the players on the field? Why make it work when it already worked?

Tavon has 8.1 YPC and they aren't handing him the ball. That can never be explained away as being logical.

You're not scheming for the players on the field. Austin is getting open as a traditional WR. You don't take him out of that role because Keenum is struggling to hit him consistently. That falls on Keenum to fix. It falls on Austin to improve the drops.(I'm not counting that deep ball as a drop, though)

This has nothing to do with Austin running with the ball. Can still do that a few times a game. But you don't take Austin out of the role he's playing right now to do that.

RamzFanz

Damnit
You're not scheming for the players on the field. Austin is getting open as a traditional WR. You don't take him out of that role because Keenum is struggling to hit him consistently. That falls on Keenum to fix. It falls on Austin to improve the drops.(I'm not counting that deep ball as a drop, though)

This has nothing to do with Austin running with the ball. Can still do that a few times a game. But you don't take Austin out of the role he's playing right now to do that.

Then we will agree to disagree. He's not thriving in his new role, regardless of why, and he does thrive as a rusher/misdirection player. Seems to me they threw out the baby with the bathwater.

Now, when Goff starts, that may completely change. But if he can't catch Keenum's throwed rolls, how is going to catch Goff's zingers? Remember how he struggled catching Bradford's? Hopefully Goff has more touch.

I'm counting the deep ball as just another wasted play trying to throw to Austin deep. A taller receiver catches that.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
He's a guy that his teammates love, want to play hard for. He's no Brett Favre, but I think Goff learning behind him is a plus. Keenum prepares and works really hard.

That. I just don't see how anyone can piss and moan about the situation thus far. It would appear to be a win/win. The team is playing well and getting better. Goff doesn't HAVE to be the guy right now. He gets the luxury of more coaching and seeing how it is done at this level. When/If Goff is called on this year, we can only hope the OL has become more cohesive and TGII is....you know...contributing a lil. In the meantime, let's enjoy the ride..

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
He is tough and smart and he really wants to win. Case has the offense playing pretty darn good right now. That first TD pass to Quick was just beautiful to watch.....Way to go Case Keep it up!

RamWoodie

Legend
He's definitely reading and recognizing defenses better! He's got a better rapport with his WRs too. I think we have to credit Boras and Weinke with that...and naturally Keenum.

I'd still like to see them roll him out more though. It puts more stress on a defense.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I've been thinkin about something Weinke said on hard knocks, Goff has always been the starter as long as he has played, so he has never had someone above him on the depth chart to show him how to work to get as good as he can be. As long as CK is winning Goff gets to see what CK does to prepare and this will improve Goffs work habits, not to say they arent already good.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then we will agree to disagree. He's not thriving in his new role, regardless of why, and he does thrive as a rusher/misdirection player. Seems to me they threw out the baby with the bathwater.

Now, when Goff starts, that may completely change. But if he can't catch Keenum's throwed rolls, how is going to catch Goff's zingers? Remember how he struggled catching Bradford's? Hopefully Goff has more touch.

I'm counting the deep ball as just another wasted play trying to throw to Austin deep. A taller receiver catches that.

He's absolutely thriving in his new role. They'd be fools to turn him back into a gimmick. They paid this man $40+ million to do what he's doing now. To become a legitimate WR.

A taller receiver catches the deep ball? How many taller WRs can run past Patrick Peterson? I can count on one hand the number of WRs who are fast enough to run in the 4.28 to 4.34 range. How many tall WRs are on that list? A tall WR doesn't get to that ball. A tall WR doesn't separate on that route.

Yep, there will be no agreement here. You don't hit reverse on a talented player's career when he's starting to become exactly what you need him to be. Especially not because Case Keenum is struggling to consistently throw the ball accurately to him. That's Keenum's issue to fix.

RamWoodie

Legend
A QB throws to his WR..which in that case it was TA. It was on Keenum to put the ball in TAs hands. The play wasn't wasted either. Even though Keenum missed him. TA didn't need to be taller...Keenum needed a better throw.

RamzFanz

Damnit
He's absolutely thriving in his new role. They'd be fools to turn him back into a gimmick. They paid this man $40+ million to do what he's doing now. To become a legitimate WR.

He's up .8 yards per reception and down 4.3 yards per carry. Explain how he's thriving.

If they paid him $40M to be a standard "legitimate" WR, then I have to go with they have no idea what TA does well.

A taller receiver catches the deep ball? How many taller WRs can run past Patrick Peterson? I can count on one hand the number of WRs who are fast enough to run in the 4.28 to 4.34 range. How many tall WRs are on that list? A tall WR doesn't get to that ball. A tall WR doesn't separate on that route.

Yes, a taller receiver catches that ball. In fact, a receiver Tavon's height with hands catches that ball. Anyone who thinks that wasn't a great thrown ball is crazy.

TA doesn't catch deep balls, almost ever. He has maybe 3-4 to his name. Every season, with many QBs, I point this out and every season he proves me right. Every season people also deny it. Shampoo, rinse, repeat.

Tell me the next time he catches a deep ball from anyone. He's dropped in the basket deep passes many many times or has been easily defended because he has no verticle leap or top end speed. He's quick, not straight line fast over distance, and he'll be the first to admit it and has multiple times.

Guess what? Taller receivers go up and get the ball, TA doesn't. Britt is nowhere as fast and way out plays Tavon deep even against top coverage. Are you seeing the pattern here?

I say this with love. Look at my profile pic. Dude's a beast when used properly.

Yep, there will be no agreement here. You don't hit reverse on a talented player's career when he's starting to become exactly what you need him to be. Especially not because Case Keenum is struggling to consistently throw the ball accurately to him. That's Keenum's issue to fix.

Reverse a players career? Look at his stats WITH Keenum this season and last. Now look at TAs drops which were worst in the NFL last I looked last week. Keenum is probably 85% accurate enough to catch. We don't need to quibble, Britt and Quick have far less trouble catching from Keenum. It's self-evident.

A QB throws to his WR..which in that case it was TA. It was on Keenum to put the ball in TAs hands. The play wasn't wasted either. Even though Keenum missed him. TA didn't need to be taller...Keenum needed a better throw.

TA has dropped numerous balls in his hands, especially deep. He's also very easy to defend deep because if he's not separated, and he's usually not, it's not going to be a catch. This isn't a new thing, it's his entire career.

I'm 100% pro TA, just not as a deep ball threat. I want the 8.3 YPC back that crushed last season.

There's NO REASON to subtract the positive, add to it.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's up .8 yards per reception and down 4.3 yards per carry. Explain how he's thriving.

If they paid him $40M to be a standard "legitimate" WR, then I have to go with they have no idea what TA does well.

Seattle - 5 receptions for 50 yards*
Tampa Bay - 5 receptions for 82 yards
Arizona - 2 receptions for 14 yards**
* - Keenum missed him on two plays where he was wide open. Should have had 7 receptions for 80+ yards.
** - Keenum missed him on at least two plays where he was wide open. He also had a 50+ yard catch jarred lose by the ground on a great throw by Keenum. Could have had 5-6 receptions for 80-100 yards.

I think it's pretty clear how he's thriving. He's becoming a legitimate threat as a traditional WR. And he's beaten guys like Patrick Peterson and Richard Sherman badly while doing that.

Rather than being a gimmick, Austin is developing into a WR with 1000+ yard potential. That's what the Rams paid him to be. Now, Austin needs to stop dropping passes. But, in the end, if he can keep separating, I don't care if he drops a pass a game.

Rest of your argument has been addressed many times over in the past.