There's just something about Keenum, huh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Seattle - 5 receptions for 50 yards*
Tampa Bay - 5 receptions for 82 yards
Arizona - 2 receptions for 14 yards**
* - Keenum missed him on two plays where he was wide open. Should have had 7 receptions for 80+ yards.
** - Keenum missed him on at least two plays where he was wide open. He also had a 50+ yard catch jarred lose by the ground on a great throw by Keenum. Could have had 5-6 receptions for 80-100 yards.

I think it's pretty clear how he's thriving. He's becoming a legitimate threat as a traditional WR. And he's beaten guys like Patrick Peterson and Richard Sherman badly while doing that.

Rather than being a gimmick, Austin is developing into a WR with 1000+ yard potential. That's what the Rams paid him to be. Now, Austin needs to stop dropping passes. But, in the end, if he can keep separating, I don't care if he drops a pass a game.

Rest of your argument has been addressed many times over in the past.

People use gimmick as if it's a bad word. Gimmick is a plus to any offense. A strong offense with gimmick is a layer stronger than one without.

Back to my original point. Yes, with Goff throwing these anticipated pinpoint accurate balls, leading the receiver, and dropping it in the basket, TA may benefit as a "traditional" wide receiver.

The talent that is ready to play and actually on the field, would benefit from using the plays where TA excelled. The NFL leading rusher for all players with more than 50 carries is sorely missed in this offense. We had few advantages and they wiped one out.

I like that TA is finally becoming a traditional receiver because Goff and TA have massive potential. THIS week, though, we are going to fight for every inch and that is not what Keenum and TA do well in this new scheme. TA needs space, misdirection, and short to mid balls. He is an explosive player. Let him roll.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm 100% pro TA
I'd love to see what you'd say if you're only 50% behind a guy.....LOLOLOL

THE GOOD AND THE BAD: CASE KEENUM
Hot: Keenum has completed eight of 14 passes for 153 yards and three TDs without an INT when targeting Brian Quick. Not: Keenum ranks last in Total QBR (32.8) and has twice as many sacks (eight) as scoring passes (four).

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You may misunderstand. I'm 100% for what he does well and very disappointed the coaching doesn't get him despite absolute proof.
Okay, you've got me interested now....Don't you think he's looked better this season, than before? My eye-test says, he's getting some really good looks...and different routes too...Boras & Groh have him going in the right direction....
And personally, I thought he was running a lil too much from the "I" formation...the fly sweep is a great play...but straight "I"...naw, wasn't feeling that....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People use gimmick as if it's a bad word. Gimmick is a plus to any offense. A strong offense with gimmick is a layer stronger than one without.

Back to my original point. Yes, with Goff throwing these anticipated pinpoint accurate balls, leading the receiver, and dropping it in the basket, TA may benefit as a "traditional" wide receiver.

The talent that is ready to play and actually on the field, would benefit from using the plays where TA excelled. The NFL leading rusher for all players with more than 50 carries is sorely missed in this offense. We had few advantages and they wiped one out.

I like that TA is finally becoming a traditional receiver because Goff and TA have massive potential. THIS week, though, we are going to fight for every inch and that is not what Keenum and TA do well in this new scheme. TA needs space, misdirection, and short to mid balls. He is an explosive player. Let him roll.

I have no issue with them using him in the run game if it does not affect his role in the passing game.

Sgt. Ram

the present moment is all you will ever have
I would like nine TD passes, in one game Mr. Keenum. Please and Thank you.:banana:

RamWoodie

Legend
TA has dropped numerous balls in his hands, especially deep. He's also very easy to defend deep because if he's not separated, and he's usually not, it's not going to be a catch. This isn't a new thing, it's his entire career.

I'm 100% pro TA, just not as a deep ball threat. I want the 8.3 YPC back that crushed last season.

There's NO REASON to subtract the positive, add to it.
Doesn't change the fact. Keenum needed a better throw...PERIOD!!!

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's definitely reading and recognizing defenses better! He's got a better rapport with his WRs too. I think we have to credit Boras and Weinke with that...and naturally Keenum.

I'd still like to see them roll him out more though. It puts more stress on a defense.
He also said he loves his teammates. That right there, these guys are all on the same page. The "I'd die for ya man" page. That special bond is something we haven't seen for a long time.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
He also said he loves his teammates. That right there, these guys are all on the same page. The "I'd die for ya man" page. That special bond is something we haven't seen for a long time.
THAT is what will get this team over the hump. It will make everyone give the extra effort that teams give that make them winners. When you feel close to your teammates, you lay it on the line for them. It suddenly isn't about money or me me me anymore.

KayJay

Starter
Keenum becoming more comfortable in this system can only help us. That being said there is nothing in particular that he does really well. So to say he's getting more comfortable with the offense and his WR's could just mean he ends up making the mistake all below average QB's start to do; Start to make lazy reads telling himself "I can make that throw" when in reality he can't. This is why he's kind of Tim Tebow to me, well loved but not a whole lot to like about his game aside from his "grit". But he's our starting QB right now so until that changes I'm behind him 100%.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Doesn't change the fact. Keenum needed a better throw...PERIOD!!!

I would debate your point but you said PERIOD!!!, so I can't. Slick move. :censored:

I guess we'll just have to accept that hitting a receiver in the hands 50 yards downfield, a receiver who, it should be noted, adjusted shallow to the ball in the air, just isn't good enough and that Austin's long history of dropping or being easily defended on deep passes is immaterial. :thinking:

Yes, I watched coaches film and yes, he clearly adjusted to the ball in the air shallow for a full 10 yards, so no, it was not a bad pass. (shhhhhhh, it doesn't make him a bad guy, just a bad deep ball catcher)

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
Okay, you've got me interested now....Don't you think he's looked better this season, than before? My eye-test says, he's getting some really good looks...and different routes too...Boras & Groh have him going in the right direction....
And personally, I thought he was running a lil too much from the "I" formation...the fly sweep is a great play...but straight "I"...naw, wasn't feeling that....

Finally! Bait and hook, meet fish! ;)

Take away the NFL leading drops and I think he looks night and day better as a WR. I LOVE that they are using him that way. What I don't understand is why they didn't add that to his repertoire, rather than replacing his runs, pitches, and misdirection.

As for me, I would like to see him run 5-10 different ways 5-10 times a game, depending on success. Call me crazy, but there's not a chance in hell I'm ignoring 8.1 YPC in a struggling running game.

Do you know wich player with 50 or more rushes in 2015 had a higher YPC?

Yes, none is correct. Best in the NFL is hanging on a hat rack. :thinking:

And then you have to wonder what not using him as a runner and decoy is doing to Gurley's production.

My HOPE is that adding Spruce or Cooper frees up TA for more imaginative and productive plays.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
Maybe Fisher just knows TA is going nowhere against a stacked box and is using him as a receiver for now to break that up.

Na, he's just dumb. ;)

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
that play against the cardinals where he scrambled around, avoided like 7 sacks, and then found Kendricks down field was straight ridiculous (even though it was called back :ROFLMAO::mad:)