The "whine about the REFS" thread, Tampa v Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I certainly remember a much less obvious tripping call on Jake Long that negated a long TD to, I believe, Tavon Austin.
Yes, that was the play (against Carolina). But it was a pretty obvious leg-whip by Long.

LongTrip_medium.gif

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I certainly remember a much less obvious tripping call on Jake Long that negated a long TD to, I believe, Tavon Austin.

I remember that, against Carolina last year. Long's leg barely moved.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Yes, that was the play (against Carolina). But it was a pretty obvious leg-whip by Long.

LongTrip_medium.gif

I don't see how you can call that intentional. Or at least how the caption in the pic can.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anyone else pick up on this one? Late hit out of bounds on Stacy which wasn't called? Flip play to Stacy past left end, he's chased by #92 Gholston, but still turns the corner he's caught by #38 Gholdson who rides him out of bounds, with the help of LB Fletcher who shoulders him out. I took a bit of issue with DB Gholdson who tackled Stacey all the way past the out of bounds point, but that wasn't the worst part of this play. The BAD part was #92, perhaps frustrated from chasing Stacey, helps drive the pile out of bounds and then proceeds to jump onto the pile a good 3 yards out bounds. How far out of bounds does Stacy have to be before this becomes a late hit out of bounds?? That might have been "piling on" even if was on the field of play. If you compare that to the little pushes when someone is a half step out of bounds which somehow draw a roughing penalty, this one was a head scratcher for me. I didn't mind SO much at the time 'cuz Stacy is a tough dude and the Rams got a first down on the play, but geez Louise.

upload_2014-9-15_10-33-0.png

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't see how you can call that intentional. Or at least how the caption in the pic can.
It was. Jake knew it right after he did it. Doesn't matter though - what's done is done.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
It was. Jake knew it right after he did it. Doesn't matter though - what's done is done.

I agree Long TRIED to leg whip the guy, stuck his back leg waaay out, but he totally missed. The guy was falling down even before he got past Jake Long, having gotten creamed on a chip block by Harkey. You can't see it from that angle, but I remember the play well, super slo mo'd it a bunch of times from a bunch of angles at the time.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Someone falling and their leg flying up and hitting someone, I dont think that falls under the rule.

I'm likewise a little stymied by the rule book, so I can't say exactly what rule is being broken. Is there a section on illegal use of Kung Fu?

But if a player is just falling down their legs will stay mostly together unless they are trying to get a wider base for balance, in which case their feet will be SEEKING the ground rather than trying to get away from it. You can see from the photo (re-copied) that Fletcher used his left leg and both elbows (all of which appear to be on the ground) to force his right leg WAAAAAY up into the air, past the left side his body over to where Stacy's head was. I mean, how is it that not intentional??

upload_2014-9-15_8-17-17-png.3149

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
What caught your attention? The out-of-bounds play they missed on Harvin... where the REFS didn't review it... and the league actually admitted they were wrong?

Yeah that! And then they gave the 9er's a TD on a play where the play clock expired.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
No one got screwed more than Chicago.
Crabtree clearly bobbles a TD pass that gets left on the ground. Call, after review....TD.
The worst part of the play though, was the non delay of game call. The clock ran off for a full second and it wasn't called.
Two of the worst calls all day. On the same play.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm likewise a little stymied by the rule book, so I can't say exactly what rule is being broken. Is there a section on illegal use of Kung Fu?

But if a player is just falling down their legs will stay mostly together unless they are trying to get a wider base for balance, in which case their feet will be SEEKING the ground rather than trying to get away from it. You can see from the photo (re-copied) that Fletcher used his left leg and both elbows (all of which appear to be on the ground) to force his right leg WAAAAAY up into the air, past the left side his body over to where Stacy's head was. I mean, how is it that not intentional??

upload_2014-9-15_8-17-17-png.3149
Hard to tell, maybe it was.
I have seen D players called for tripping not for legwhip. The refs are actually very good with this stuff (minus blaring misses like Harvins TD in SD). I am fine assuming this was a good no call. In two games this year I have seen several calls on DBs that were border line to me....called on the Rams and the other guys. The lack of holding calls bother me, outside of that, I have not seen a call I think the Rams got jobbed on.
As an aside....I love Barksdale going for the finish in this picture.

bskrilla

Starter
First drive of the 3rd quarter, the Rams offense is really moving, having gone 37 yards in 5 plays. Zac Stacey takes a run up the middle but fumbles on what looks like very little contact. So what happened?

On the fumble, the Bucs Dane Fletcher blindly (and blatantly) leg whips Stacy in both the facemask and his hand causing the fumble. Not sure where this is in the rule book, but I'm pretty sure this is illegal, right?? The still photo doesn't quite do this justice. Watch the live action and see how Fletcher kicks his leg back at Stacy as he goes by.

View attachment 3149

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014091409/2014/REG2/rams@buccaneers#tab=videos&menu=gameinfo|contentId:0ap3000000394720

Not sure where the REFS were on the play. Surely someone would actually be watching the ball carrier. I mean, if they caught Jake Long on the phantom leg whip last year against Carolina (long TD pass to Austin called back), surely someone would be watching the guy carrying the football, and notice that THE LEG WHIP ACTUALLY CAUSED THE FUMBLE?!?

Geez Louise.

I remember when watching this play live I thought it looked like the reason the guys leg whipped way up was because of the block he took from the Rams player. I'd have to see it again to be sure, but I'm fairly certain he got blocked hard in the lower half and it flipped him upside down cause his leg to swing around into Stacy. I thought it was unfortunate, but a good non-call.

F. Mulder

Starter
I hate to say it but refs are people to and they know teams that are elite and teams that suck and they know teams with reps of being penalized or playing past the edge and those who don't. Unfortunately the Rams have a rep as a lower tier team AND a team that yaps a lot and commits a lot of penalties. Either the Rams need to become division winners, stop yapping, or play like choir boys, or the same thing will happen on 50/50 calls. I personally thought Fisher being on the Competition Committee would help but it hasn't. For all the bogus calls on the Rams (and there have been a ton) there have been some undeniable boneheaded plays over and over the past 3 years. At some point something has to give.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
The play right before the Dunbar roughing the passer was a perfect (and blatant) example. See screen print below. It's better to see with live action so you can see how Quinn's progress is impeded (and I haven't figured out how to do that), but Quinn has a clear path to the QB, except that the OL has BOTH ARMS WRAPPED TOTALLY AROUND HIM FROM BEHIND like a toddler trying to stop his mom from leaving him at day care.

I could take screen prints of Quinn getting held all day long. It's really the ONLY issue with the Rams worth arguing about; it happens so often that it kinda makes sense to get in the REFS ears and asking them what it'll take for them to throw the flag on that. It goes without saying that they'd make that call against the RAMS OL.

View attachment 3152

Brutal...

We weren't suppose to win that game.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/15/clock-was-handled-properly-at-end-of-rams-bucs-game/

Clock was handled properly at end of Rams-Bucs game
Posted by Mike Florio on September 15, 2014

evans.jpg
AP

The Buccaneers didn’t get an opportunity to try a game-winning field goal against the Rams on Sunday because of a 10-second runoff resulting from a player injury occurring when Tampa lacked time outs. The rule, aimed at avoiding the fabrication of offensive injuries in crunch time, ended the game following an injury to Bucs receiver Mike Evans, with the home team at the St. Louis 33.

As pointed out by the Big Lead, the play in question finished with 11 seconds on the clock. Since 11 minus 10 equals (hang on a second while I confirm this) equals one, the Bucs arguably should have had enough time to try a 50-yard field goal for the win.

Per a league source, that’s not how it works in real time. The clock continues to tick after the play ends, with the officials stopping the clock when it’s obvious a player is injured. In this case, the officials recognized that Evans was unable to get up with less than 10 seconds remaining.

If Evans had been clearly injured with more than 10 seconds left, the Bucs would have had one second left. He wasn’t, and that’s just the way it goes, given that any other rule would allow any player on offense to fake a broken arm in order to ensure that his team will get more opportunities.

Right. It would defeat the purpose of the rule if a player hurt, or acting hurt, was allowed to stop the clock on a play like that.

Athos

Legend
The play right before the Dunbar roughing the passer was a perfect (and blatant) example. See screen print below. It's better to see with live action so you can see how Quinn's progress is impeded (and I haven't figured out how to do that), but Quinn has a clear path to the QB, except that the OL has BOTH ARMS WRAPPED TOTALLY AROUND HIM FROM BEHIND like a toddler trying to stop his mom from leaving him at day care.

I could take screen prints of Quinn getting held all day long. It's really the ONLY issue with the Rams worth arguing about; it happens so often that it kinda makes sense to get in the REFS ears and asking them what it'll take for them to throw the flag on that. It goes without saying that they'd make that call against the RAMS OL.

View attachment 3152

I must have missed that play. It absolutely looks like that douche is not only holding Quinn but ready to ride him to the ground as well. It also looks like hands to the face by #66.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This flag infestation(and that's what it is)...needs to be addressed league wide. It's ridiculous and i'm even hearing feedback from the more casual NFL fans via my facebook page.