The true cost of the Sammy Watkins trade for Buffalo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend

People love to employ mathematics to provide the illusion of having intelligence. As an undergrad math major, it particularly disgusts me how people abuse statistics.

jap

Legend

Oh, I almost never! call out people for math. I also taught it at the high school and technical college level. I have just come to accept that many do not like math and avoid it as much as possible. It's very useful where it is applicable. Sometimes people attempt to stretch its usefulness too far.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
N32NH.gif

tumblr_lmzcyhgMqs1qzwhb0o1_400.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
OBJ was pretty soundly a late first to early second round pick, wasn't considered among the elite and if they had taken him would have been labeled a reach. Right before the draft a lot of draft types elevated him after they found consistent reports of how high teams were on OBJ but still.

Goes to show it's about hitting on the pick. Everyone lambasted Dallas the previous draft for "reaching" for a center but you don't hear anything about it now that he's a key part of the best OL in this league.

Hitting on the pick is the key.

Memphis Ram

Legend
OBJ was pretty soundly a late first to early second round pick, wasn't considered among the elite and if they had taken him would have been labeled a reach. Right before the draft a lot of draft types elevated him after they found consistent reports of how high teams were on OBJ but still.

Goes to show it's about hitting on the pick. Everyone lambasted Dallas the previous draft for "reaching" for a center but you don't hear anything about it now that he's a key part of the best OL in this league.

Hitting on the pick is the key.
Late first to early second???

According to who? He was even mocked to the Rams quite a bit (Donald selection).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I follow the draft year round, he was a guy who was undervalued and rose in the last few months when, as I mentioned above, the talking heads could not ignore the reports of team interest in him.

Prior to that point he was listed consistently as a late first to early second round pick, a "second tier" type of guy that was not in the elite prospect range.

Same thing is going to happen with other prospects this year, happens every year. Guys get undervalued but as the talking heads realize they had it wrong they correct and align themselves with the team boards. Among the QBs that is going to happen this year with Petty. All we hear is 3rd round, that is going to change dramatically. Plus of course you have the fact that QBs tend to be overdrafted as it is.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I follow the draft year round, he was a guy who was undervalued and rose in the last few months when, as I mentioned above, the talking heads could not ignore the reports of team interest in him.

Prior to that point he was listed consistently as a late first to early second round pick, a "second tier" type of guy that was not in the elite prospect range.

Same thing is going to happen with other prospects this year, happens every year. Guys get undervalued but as the talking heads realize they had it wrong they correct and align themselves with the team boards. Among the QBs that is going to happen this year with Petty. All we hear is 3rd round, that is going to change dramatically. Plus of course you have the fact that QBs tend to be overdrafted as it is.

Hello fellow draftnik,

I follow the draft year round, too. Have for years. But, I'm very selective of who I read and I don't go for the media driven rises up imaginary draft board stuff put out by some internet draftniks out there. But, yeah, ala Brockers, early on Beckham might have suffered from those not expecting him to declare with Landry leading the team in receptions.

Either way, his "ranking" right before the draft after most of the draftnik media caught up would probably be the consideration used by most grading his selection I would think.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do not doubt that some, to include yourself, had him higher. Just going off of the reference provided by the talking heads and draftniks I heard from at that point.

The hot guy was Watkins. Even Evans had many quetioning him as a guy who would need time. Benjamin was a Quick type who would need development maybe in excess of a year.

For me it goes back to coaching and utilization. Coaches are teachers so I focus heavily on talent.