The time Todd Gurley was threatened by a troll and answered back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Helpful for some people who aren't aware of what "social media" has really become these days.

Hey, find a way to "get out there more".

It's a business and if you are using any of these platforms you are a "product" that is being sold.

Oops here is the link

https://devumi.com/twitter-engagements/

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
LOL.....I'm essentially in Naples. So it's different here.

Here it's #naplesgirlproblems.

Which means you can't get a last minute appt at the organic nail salon. Hahahahaha.

So yes I agree.

One thing that this Cambridge scandal and the Russia troll farms being exposed has done, if people have read/watched and paid attention, is that it's revealing how FB (and others) monitors, saves and uses analytics to "figure out" who a user is so they can market those groups of users. And how people get emotionally and psychologically manipulated in ways we have not seen in the past. The software can identify pretty much what you are and how you feel and think which makes it easy to "nudge" someone in a direction with content delivers to them or moreso groups of people who are like them.

That should not be legal. They should not be allowed to just follow you all around and collect everything and then pimp you out.

If the general public that was on FB knew how they were being tracked and having profiles built based on everything they do on that social media clusterfuck they would leave in droves.

This is IMO dangerous stuff and should be squashed.

Adam Ruins Free Websites explains the basics of this in very nice detail and with some humor.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Adam Ruins Free Websites explains the basics of this in very nice detail and with some humor.

This is a good summary, not the entire picture but yeah that's the intro.

People just don't know..........and many don't care.

America. The best entertained and least informed country in the First World.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
The difference is that if something really terrible happened, you could change schools. We all had the space to change if we made a change...behaved differently, worked on a problem differently, relocated, etc.

Now, if something goes viral, you'd have a hard time changing countries.

the reach of social media is such that instead of having a few bullies who are in your local vicinity, a person could have literally thousands of bullies.

As far as the danger, social media has absolutely escalated that. There are been murders, assaults and a plethora of death threats that simply wouldn't have happened without social media.

It's like the difference between dealing with family at a reunion... and having that broadcast live over network TV during the Super Bowl.

Lastly, what are people supposed to do as we get people to stop self-medicating with drugs and alcohol? That's how MANY dealt with those issues, even as teenagers.

With VASTLY more inputs, potentially good and bad, almost no check on the volume or amplitude of those inputs and virtually no editing system in place (I mean, that little thing here...Think before you post...is kinda genius)... I tend to swing close to Les' outlook.

Yeah, it's always been hard, but we can't ignore that kids today aren't growing up in our time. Heck, who here didn't have a dad that thought WE were soft??? That sorta ignores the point.

Rather than tell people to toughen up, maybe we should go after the assholes who make life harder for others??? I mean, rather than just admit defeat and accept that there will always be assholes.

I dunno. I just blanche at the notion that it's okay to be an icehole, but not take issue with the icehole or their actions (not that you're saying that).

I heard we signed OBJ to 400 years and $8 Trillion dollars. It must be true, I read it on Twitter.
But you can opt out of social media. You don't have to be on Twitter. Middle School is less optional.

(Sorry if it seems like I'm following you. You're fun to disagree with because you're smart. Hard to find good disagreements these days)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the general public that was on FB knew how they were being tracked and having profiles built based on everything they do on that social media clusterfuck they would leave in droves

No they wouldn't. Everyone knows their every move on the internet is being tracked and data collected. They don't care.

Me, I'm not into all that social media crap but i do like looking at sexy women. So i click on bikini ads and stiletto ads so every page I'm on always has sexy women and legs on it.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
But you can opt out of social media. You don't have to be on Twitter. Middle School is less optional.

(Sorry if it seems like I'm following you. You're fun to disagree with because you're smart. Hard to find good disagreements these days)

Actually, it's increasingly difficult. By the time my younger kids were in HS, not being on social media wasn't possible. There were elements of their classwork that required being online.

I mean, because people tend to ignore emails and email blasts can get expensive to manage, they resorted to posting notices on the school's Facebook page.

With dwindling resources, teachers are increasingly turning to social media.

They may use teaching tools they find on Facebook within certain groups.

So, you can't just opt out in many instances.

Also, as many social conservatives have chosen, you can homeschool or do one's entire K-12 education online. That's a thing.

I don't understand how kids are supposed to socialize, but that's another conversation.

It's not a question of if our lives are going to fully digital. In many respects, they already are.

The question is how do we choose to function in the fully digital world.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Actually, it's increasingly difficult. By the time my younger kids were in HS, not being on social media wasn't possible. There were elements of their classwork that required being online.

I mean, because people tend to ignore emails and email blasts can get expensive to manage, they resorted to posting notices on the school's Facebook page.

With dwindling resources, teachers are increasingly turning to social media.

They may use teaching tools they find on Facebook within certain groups.

So, you can't just opt out in many instances.

Also, as many social conservatives have chosen, you can homeschool or do one's entire K-12 education online. That's a thing.

I don't understand how kids are supposed to socialize, but that's another conversation.

It's not a question of if our lives are going to fully digital. In many respects, they already are.

The question is how do we choose to function in the fully digital world.
But you don't have to have a Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, and Facebook. If you need a Facebook for school, make one, lock it down, and don't have any friends except for the school page.

Homeschooling sounds good, but that isn't a choice the child can make. That requires parents to homeschool them. The child can choose to disengage from any social media that isn't absolutely necessary for school.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
No they wouldn't. Everyone knows their every move on the internet is being tracked and data collected. They don't care.

Me, I'm not into all that social media crap but i do like looking at sexy women. So i click on bikini ads and stiletto ads so every page I'm on always has sexy women and legs on it.

We disagree.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I don't do any of this social media bullshit, to me is just seems like people want to but all their business out there and who really cares. Just a lot of drama and gossip from people that don't have anything better to do.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

It's nearly impossible to avoid for most kids.

In fact I am in the middle of a job search and was asked on a couple of occasions if I had a FB page or Twitter account. Employers know it can give them a good "view" into your real self. They were taken aback that I had neither.

It's just a "norm" anymore.

I want to answer more in depth.

You are right, and I should not have said that we disagree.

But very,very precious few know what is happening behind the curtain with the info, and how it's being used. In many cases it's used to manipulate them as we are discovering now with the excellent investigative journalism we are seeing. It's gone over the line and needs to be stopped!!!

I don't know if you saw the video of the woman that CNN pounced on..........it was disturbing. She had been interacting with a Russian troll farm about the election and actually got manipulated into running a FB page to support Trump. She had no idea what had happened, and when faced with the fact that she had been duped she still denied it.

Brexit was influenced by sending images and statements to British citizens. The people behind it may end up in jail since election meddling is a serious crime there. They are the same group by the way that STOLE info on 50 million American FaceBook users. Now people who don't understand what is happening to that info may think "I don't care about what ads they show me" but that's not what it is anymore and it hasn't been that for a few years now.

It's much, much, much more ominous and it's growing.

It's gone beyond "target marketing" to try to get you to switch to a different product. Way beyond that, "target marketing" is a dot in the rear view mirror at this point. Now a profile is being created and companies have software that decides which type of things you should be shown to manipulate your feelings and emotions on certain issues, and even can go so far as to make some people take actions that they may not have otherwise. Even the most strong willed person can be influenced subliminally by what they see and hear. Seeing ads is one thing, seeing images or other items that emotionally manipulate is WAY over the line.

And anyone who doesn't think that kind of thing should be illegal as fuck should not be allowed on the internet LOL.

As far as cyber-bullying and hate speech on the web IMO not a single one of the social platforms are doing anything close to shutting that shit down. They don't bother to curate content until they receive multiple complaints and even then what they delete from an account can be reposted anyway. YouTube by itself might be the largest distributor of fake news and hate speech in the world. If they aren't then it's FaceBook or Twitter. They are the Big Three and they need to be handed parameters that they must live within. I'm all for free speech and I know that it will always allow for lunatics to spout off but when a platform helps and enables that type of thing then IMO they have a responsibility to stop doing that.

Anyway, this is an interesting discussion, and most people aren't really up to speed on what it being done with the info and how dangerous this is. So in that way you are right that people don't care..........but if they knew what was happening they would for sure care.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
giphy.gif

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
One answer to end trolling: no more anonymity. Name and address along with a picture. The only problem with that is how would it be enforced?
It could go either way really. Here's an article about a boxer coming face to face with a troll, and it results in the troll stopping.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2293168/Curtis-Woodhouse-meets-Twitter-troll-Daybreak-TV-show.html

But if you lookup "Charlie Zelenoff" you'll find the opposite result. He's somewhat famous for trolling professional boxers to the point where they actually get in the ring with him.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

In fact I am in the middle of a job search and was asked on a couple of occasions if I had a FB page or Twitter account. Employers know it can give them a good "view" into your real self. They were taken aback that I had neither.

But very,very precious few know what is happening behind the curtain with the info, and how it's being used. In many cases it's used to manipulate them as we are discovering now with the excellent investigative journalism we are seeing. It's gone over the line and needs to be stopped!!!

I don't know if you saw the video of the woman that CNN pounced on..........it was disturbing. She had been interacting with a Russian troll farm about the election and actually got manipulated into running a FB page to support Trump. She had no idea what had happened, and when faced with the fact that she had been duped she still denied it.

Brexit was influenced by sending images and statements to British citizens. The people behind it may end up in jail since election meddling is a serious crime there. They are the same group by the way that STOLE info on 50 million American FaceBook users. Now people who don't understand what is happening to that info may think "I don't care about what ads they show me" but that's not what it is anymore and it hasn't been that for a few years now.

It's gone beyond "target marketing" to try to get you to switch to a different product. Way beyond that, "target marketing" is a dot in the rear view mirror at this point. Now a profile is being created and companies have software that decides which type of things you should be shown to manipulate your feelings and emotions on certain issues, and even can go so far as to make some people take actions that they may not have otherwise. Even the most strong willed person can be influenced subliminally by what they see and hear. Seeing ads is one thing, seeing images or other items that emotionally manipulate is WAY over the line.

And anyone who doesn't think that kind of thing should be illegal as freak should not be allowed on the internet LOL.

As far as cyber-bullying and hate speech on the web IMO not a single one of the social platforms are doing anything close to shutting that crap down. They don't bother to curate content until they receive multiple complaints and even then what they delete from an account can be reposted anyway. YouTube by itself might be the largest distributor of fake news and hate speech in the world. If they aren't then it's FaceBook or Twitter. They are the Big Three and they need to be handed parameters that they must live within. I'm all for free speech and I know that it will always allow for lunatics to spout off but when a platform helps and enables that type of thing then IMO they have a responsibility to stop doing that.

Anyway, this is an interesting discussion, and most people aren't really up to speed on what it being done with the info and how dangerous this is. So in that way you are right that people don't care..........but if they knew what was happening they would for sure care.

Also, most people don't realize that Facebook tracks all their calls.

Which means that they know who you're calling, where and when.

And I've seen this. I was talking with my best friend on our cells. He mentioned a product I've NEVER heard of, let alone put into a search engine. In less than a day, I started getting ads for that product. The ONLY way that's possible is if a) Facebook is actually monitoring the call b) they are parsing the call and c) they are selling the content of the call in real time to advertisers.

Now, even if I gave permission to Facebook to use all my POSTED data (which I didn't), I most certainly didn't give Facebook permission to wiretap my phone, parse the content and then sell that information. Just the act of monitoring my phone without a warrant is a serious crime and they commit billions of these felonies per year.

And that's just the surface.

I'm trying to get my daughter to go into analytics because it's the future.

When you see what analytics can do now and then project into the future using advanced profile analytics and what's possible with quantum computing to map out decision matrices... you can start to see the power.

They can already tell when women are first pregnant by the products they buy. They can tell so much more and using psych profiles and massive data sets, the ability to not only predict what you will and won't buy with a stunning degree of accuracy but also where you stand on almost any issue AND... if you're mind is changeable and what it would take to change it. If there's maleability, that's for sale. If not, then that's for sale.

At the heart of the matter is manipulation (and everyone can be manipulated). It's just on a scale that is almost incomprehensible.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

And anyone who doesn't think that kind of thing should be illegal as freak should not be allowed on the internet LOL.

As far as cyber-bullying and hate speech on the web IMO not a single one of the social platforms are doing anything close to shutting that crap down. They don't bother to curate content until they receive multiple complaints and even then what they delete from an account can be reposted anyway. YouTube by itself might be the largest distributor of fake news and hate speech in the world. If they aren't then it's FaceBook or Twitter. They are the Big Three and they need to be handed parameters that they must live within. I'm all for free speech and I know that it will always allow for lunatics to spout off but when a platform helps and enables that type of thing then IMO they have a responsibility to stop doing that.

So you're saying we can absolve everyone of responsibility for their actions because trolls and Facebook have mind control powers? I'm not sure how to respond to that.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And I've seen this. I was talking with my best friend on our cells. He mentioned a product I've NEVER heard of, let alone put into a search engine. In less than a day, I started getting ads for that product. The ONLY way that's possible is if a) Facebook is actually monitoring the call b) they are parsing the call and c) they are selling the content of the call in real time to advertisers.

i'm confused, i don't use facebook. did you call each other through facebook?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
So you're saying we can absolve everyone of responsibility for their actions because trolls and Facebook have mind control powers? I'm not sure how to respond to that.

I said nothing of the sort..........how did you get that out of what I said? Not even close LOL.

Read about what Cambridge Analytica and others have done with analytical programming and profiling. It's not mind control but people can be influenced and that includes you and I as well as anyone else reading this.

You know that the CEO's of the top social platforms got called on the carpet to Washington about this right?

Now, even if I gave permission to Facebook to use all my POSTED data (which I didn't),

Guess what......you DID give permission. And all the games and apps on FB got your permission too. Every. Single. One.

Yeah, you gave them permission, go read the fine print. You gave them permission to sell you to anyone too.

Now as far as phone calls, I don't think FB is tapping calls so I'd say that's a bit out there.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
In many cases it's used to manipulate them as we are discovering now with the excellent investigative journalism we are seeing. It's gone over the line and needs to be stopped!!!

Marketing is manipulating people. That's it's nature.

She had no idea what had happened, and when faced with the fact that she had been duped she still denied it.

Using troll behavior as a back channel for a social engineering attack that gets someone to support (what I'm assuming is) the political view opposite their own, to the extent that they don't know about it afterwards, is some grade A mind control.

Brexit was influenced by sending images and statements to British citizens. The people behind it may end up in jail since election meddling is a serious crime there.

Unless they have wildly different laws, sending images and statements isn't election meddling. That's campaigning. And political campaigning is usually done using emotional manipulating, trying to make people sad or angry or defensive or excited about the future. So sending statements and images isn't election meddling... Unless it's mind control and the people lost their free will due to the images and statements.

Now a profile is being created and companies have software that decides which type of things you should be shown to manipulate your feelings and emotions on certain issues, and even can go so far as to make some people take actions that they may not have otherwise.

Again, emotional manipulating isn't new. Market profiling is designed to make people take actions they wouldn't unless they saw the ad specifically designed for them. That's not new... Unless it's mind control!

Even the most strong willed person can be influenced subliminally by what they see and hear.

While technically true, the extent to which you're suggesting this is possible seriously points to brainwashing and mind control.

The only assumption I really made in my previous post was some you were suggesting we can't hold people responsible if they are subject to this. But that's just a logical extension. If you're coerced into a crime, say at gunpoint or something, you aren't charged as an accomplice. You're also the victim of a crime. There is arguably no crime worse than removing someone's free will. It just stands to reason that if that you're saying is happening, then we can't hold the victims responsible.

It just seemed to me that you were suggesting that the trolls and Facebook marketers can force people to do things they don't want to through marketing and trolling, beyond what normal marketing or trolling would do. Sounds like mind control.