The things that lead to the Rams offensive woes (a lot of hindsight in this thread)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Make mine a third vote for scheme and identity on offense with a coaching staff, draft and free agency policy to support it.

A lot of people seem to assume that Shottenheimer was hired to run a rush first scheme. As a once casual Chiefs fan after the Cardinals left St. Louis I saw a enough of Marty to draw some obvious parallels to Fisher. But it was obvious to me that Brian was perpetually trying to do his own thing in building a more pass oriented offense albeit one designed to eat time and oriented towards coaching player match ups which I think ran contrary to Fisher's overall philosophy. At heart, I think Fisher accepts and embraces change but is simply less knowledgeable on the offensive side of the ball and really requires a strong coordinator to support that, lest he revert to what he knows works.

I do criticize the OC choice because he should have gone with what he knew from the start, expanding only after establishing what he knew would work, and Brian wasn't really a logical choice for that on the grounds that Marty and Fisher share similar philosophies. In fact it's more logical to say that if anything he'd want to prove himself otherwise especially after his father retired with fans perceiving him as obsolete.

I don't blame them for not drafting a QB. They had a lot of holes to fill. Sam was already getting shelled though, and in my opinion serving as a stop gap anyway, to what you have use as an opportunity to address the offensive line, rather than patch the same four positions ignored by Martz who seemed only to care about the quarterback position. I don't blame them for missed picks in the draft, only for not addressing the O line sooner.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Regarding Robinson.... I was just reading the PFF grades on all 2015 first round picks. PFF is hardly perfect. But I think their metrics do give at least a rough approximation of offensive line play.

Every single o-line pick in the first round has graded out to be underwhelming at the very best. Many are bad, if not awful, and some are not even starting despite their teams having injuries on the line. Which is pretty telling for how far away they are. And wasn't last year supposed to be a good draft year for offensive linemen (correct me if I am wrong)?! You can see the article here: https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...are-all-32-rookies-faring-in-the-2015-season/

Going back to 2014, I know Jake Matthews really struggled in his rookie season too. I have not checked up on him this year. Maybe he has been great. I don't know. But G-Rob and Matthews were regraded as a cut above all the other o-linemen prospects on draft day. Neither had a stellar rookie campaign. I will say that when at LG Robinson looked solid though unspectacular.

For me, this article gives lots of credence to the widespread belief colleges are just not producing quality linemen any more. As things currently stand, I'm don't think it is generally worth spending a high 1st rounder on a lineman going forward. Even if there is an organizational need. If you want or need a lineman that badly in round 1... trade down. If nobody is willing to trade down then that sucks. But better you address another need and grab OL in round 2 than vastly over-reach and waste a high 1st round pick that should be a impact player. Exceptions to every rule of course e.g. obvious generational talents.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Going back to 2014, I know Jake Matthews really struggled in his rookie season too. I have not checked up on him this year. Maybe he has been great. I don't know. But G-Rob and Matthews were regraded as a cut above all the other o-linemen prospects on draft day. Neither had a stellar rookie campaign. I will say that when at LG Robinson looked solid though unspectacular.

C'mon, go ahead and read the grades on 2014 draft class Ts who've played 50% or more of the snaps.

upload_2015-12-2_14-51-39.png

Both Taylor Lewan and Jake Mathews, picked right behind Robinson, are doing reasonably well. Morgan Moses (a 3rd round pick) is a pleasant surprise.

Bottom of the list? 2nd overall pick Robinson. Not just the worst of all the 2014 picks, mind you, but worst of all Ts who've played 50% of snaps including 4 rookies from 2015 (one of which is our injured Havenstein).

Those 6 guys from 2014 draft class listed higher than Robinson? One 3rd round pick, 2 7th rounders, 3 free agents.

Yeah, I know that Pace didn't make his first pro bowl until year 3, that's the classic excuse for Robinson. But Pace didn't suck az$ his first two years like this. It's time for Robinson to get his d@mn head out of his bu++ and start playing some g0d d@mn football.

Side note, the 2014 draft class for Gs was very good. Every time I see this chart, I'm reminded of how we could have had Trai Turner or Gabe Jackson instead of Tre Mason.

upload_2015-12-2_15-3-25.png

If Robinson doesn't turn this around, his name will go right next to Jason Smith and Lawrence Phillips on the Rams all time draft busts list. He could be challenging Tony Mandarich.

DON'T DO IT TO US GROB!!! TURN IT AROUND!!!

Last edited:

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Did not see the 2014 rankings. That is indeed very damning. Based on the eye-test, Robinson has not seemed like the league's worst LT to me even if he hasn't been great, but those numbers are just brutal. Let's hope he can pick things up.... wow.