The sting of the Rok cut...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
albefree69 said:
Yamahopper wrote:
They rolled the dice on those guys going for upside. What the worst that can happen..Going 15 65 again.
I have no quarrel with the picks. Just saying that Jenkins and Brockers didn't make the draft. Even in a meh draft you should get three great players with two first round picks and two 2nd round picks, one of which is very high. That's the baseline for me. You get a C for that.
Ugh, I have to smack you now. Please don't forget about Trumaine Johnson - extremely talented corner who will play a lot for us this year and beyond; Daryl Richardson - prob your opening day starting RB; Brian Quick - a project that is only half finished; Chris Givens - tremendous rookie year, Pead - we don't know what he is yet; Zeurlein - tons of talent, will own NFL longest field goal soon.

Nobody hits on everything. If you don't believe me, and we are still both here, lets revisit your draft again in two years. You show me one team that hit on everybody they drafted that had multiple picks through multiple rounds.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I think you guys are misunderstanding what I'm saying about this draft. I thought it was a very good draft and I gave it an A-/B+. I'm simply arguing that Jenkins and Brockers alone didn't make this draft a good one like Yamahopper contends. We needed all those good picks like Johnson and Legatron and DR and Hekker to make this draft a very good one. I'm not complaning about any of their picks. If Quick, ROK and/or Pead don't work out it will still have been a good draft. Not a great one though considering the ammo we had. I also realize that it's a crap shoot and we had a very good hit rate.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

2 great players from one draft is a great draft, no two ways about it.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
kurtfaulk with very low expectations:

I think I'll wait until they play at least 3 seasons before I call any of them great. None of them have played great yet. A few of them appear to be headed in that direction though. Knock on wood.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
albefree69 said:
kurtfaulk with very low expectations:

I think I'll wait until they play at least 3 seasons before I call any of them great. None of them have played great yet. A few of them appear to be headed in that direction though. Knock on wood.

actually i was talking in a general nature. if a team ends up with two great players from one draft it can be considered a great draft. so many drafts end up with no great players at all. some end up with all the players out of the league within 3 or 4 years, eg - clown linehan and co. drafts.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
kurtfaulk cleared up my misunderstanding:
actually i was talking in a general nature. if a team ends up with two great players from one draft it can be considered a great draft. so many drafts end up with no great players at all. some end up with all the players out of the league within 3 or 4 years, eg - clown linehan and co. drafts.

In a normal draft or in a draft where you have two 1st round picks?

I'd agree when we're talking about a normal draft but not when you have 2 first rounders.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
albefree69 said:
iced admonished:
it's still too early to judge the draft
Agreed.
Not to early to judge the ROK pick though.

I don't fault the pick myself, ROK needed to grow up and control his appetite for food, if Jenkins doesn't control his appetite for pot ,he ends up a bad pick,es verdad ?

As my Aunt Minnie would say " You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him quit eating".

I think ROK had potential to be an outrageously good pick , but he wanted to eat worse than he wanted to play football.

FOR ALL WE KNOW, Fisher just told him to get his BMI right and try again,which could yet happen,for now though he's just another tubagoo who ate himself out of a job.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Honestly, how does one define a great draft? What does an A or A+ draft really look like? We really need to benchmark it against universally accepted great drafts of the past by any NFL team.

The draft that always comes to mind is the Pittsburgh Steelers 1974 draft. Here are their first 5 picks...

Round Overall Player
1 21 Lynn Swann WR
2 46 Jack Lambert LB
4 82 John Stallworth WR
4 100 Jimmy Allen DB
5 125 Mike Webster C

This is widely considered the greatest draft in NFL history. They hit the jackpot on 4 players. The rest of their draft was irrelevant. This is an A++ draft.

My view is that if the Rams hit big on 3 players, say Brockers and Jenkins, and either Givens or TruJohnson. That is, these guys become ProBowl quality players, then that's an A draft.

You don't need to hit on every high pick to have an A draft. You need to hit on at least 3 players big time, I don't care what round they come from.

The Seahawks have had some A drafts recently. That's why they are where they are right now. And they got no more than 3 top players from any of their drafts.

So, I really don't care all that much if the Rams didn't hit on every 2nd round pick. All I want is at least 3 top players, and I'm really happy. I'd give them an A for that. And think they may have done that. Sure, Snead probably messed up on the trade down for Pead and Rok, but that comes with the territory when you're a high roller. As long as they hit on Brockers (who was a trade down), Jenkins (who was a big risk player), and one other guy, then Snead gets his A grade.

Lesson

Oh, really?
max said:
This is widely considered the greatest draft in NFL history. They hit the jackpot on 4 players. The rest of their draft was irrelevant. This is an A++ draft.

What about Richardson? Considering where he was picked plus how he has performed, is that not a huge hit for a guy who was the 2nd to last pick in the draft?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lesson said:
max said:

What about Richardson? Considering where he was picked plus how he has performed, is that not a huge hit for a guy who was the 2nd to last pick in the draft?

Can Richardson be a huge hit? Sure. But I don't care about where a guy was drafted when determining a great draft. It all come down to the quality level of the player.

Richard Sherman was a 5th rounder. Great player no matter where he was picked.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Lesson said:
max said:

In my opinion the answer is oh hell yes.

Anytime you can get a player with what is essentially a throw away pick and the lowest salary allowed that can contribute you won that pick. Even if its just a guy who is a situational type that is used sparingly a producer that low in the draft is a great find. As much as a street free agent really.

One of the things that elevates a team is the talent of the role players and backups so if you get a guy like Richardson who can at least be a change of pace type for you then you are better than if he wasn't on the roster. If you have enough of these layers and are good at identifying them then you win more.

If he becomes a regular part of the rotation then this selection gets an A grade in my book. Usually you have to spend a low second or a third to get a guy like that. And with the improvement up front and another year under his belt he may look even better.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
We missed on Rok..... You cant ever say a pick was a waste because they passed on another specific player(Wagner). Hindsight is 20/20. Always has been, always will be. We have no idea what kind of grade they had on him or if he was even under consideration. There was a lot of speculation that we were targeting him, but nothing definitive.

Les Snead has been afraid to take gambles. With all gambles, some pay off and some dont. I, for one, appreciate his willingness to roll the dice. More of his gambles have paid off than havent.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I think the bigger sting is that the day before this, goddamn John Greco gets an extension from the Browns and glowing reviews from everyone in that organization.

Now I know full well that he was another staff's player, but damn that cat didn't get any play here. Oh well, living in the past now :roll:. Otherwise, yeah bummer to see the big lug take off so soon, but damn if some kid wants to throw away his golden ticket...I don't want him around.