The sting of the Rok cut...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I posted this 4 months ago....

Snead made the move to trade down in the second round to pick up a 5th rounder.

The result was missing out on Bobby Wagner, who they wanted, and getting Pead and then Watkins in the 5th.

At this point, it looks like Snead's biggest error in his first draft.

Now with Rok gone, if Pead doesn't make it, then Snead botched that trade down. Sometimes you get whacked.

A55VA6

Legend
You can't win at everything. Snead has done an incredible job as our GM. Rok Watkins was a fail... and I'm still not sure on Quick. But everything else has been a success so far.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Good post max.

Yeah, they don't all work out. Hopefully Pead delivers.

I've always been a skeptic of trading down. I think there is more risk trading down, so you better have damn good scouts.

None of us expect perfection, but we need to hit more than miss. Which hasn't happened around here of late.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sometimes you just gotta roll dem bones.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CGI_Ram said:
Good post max.

I've always been a skeptic of trading down. I think there is more risk trading down, so you better have damn good scouts.

None of us expect perfection, but we need to hit more than miss. Which hasn't happened around here of late.

My guess is that Snead would say this one went south on him. But you just keep swinging. That's how you get an Ogletree. Win some, lose some. All in all, trade downs are a huge gamble. And these boys are high rollers.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
max said:
CGI_Ram said:
Good post max.

My guess is that Snead would say this one went south on him. But you just keep swinging. That's how you get an Ogletree. Win some, lose some. All in all, trade downs are a huge gamble. And these boys are high rollers.

Yup. At this point Ogletree hasn't done squat. Snead knows how it works in the NFL... GMs are graded on results of choices like this.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
X said:
Sometimes you just gotta roll dem bones.

Took the words outta my mouth Brudda.

More picks always increases your chances of hitting.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Rok had the talent, but not the heart. Unfortunately it's easy for guys to fake it through the process.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like that the Rams now are going for quality picks and not the head scratcher picks we had for a few years. I can live with just getting 5 or 6 guys in the draft every year if they can trade up and get us some division ranking/changing quality guys. Who wants a ton of late rounders (unless his name is Deacon Jones, steal of the century for the Rams).

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Maybe he can join up with Ojinakka and become a stud wrestler....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Tron said:
Boom. Problem solved.

They could be the tag team champions of the WWE2a.org.tv circuit.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Tron said:

Lol.

He can also win a shit load of hotdog eating contests and perhaps make a carnie gig out of it.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Having a 5th rounder bust because he ate too much is not end of the world. Odds are against late rd choices anyway. Anything you get after the 3rd is icing on the cake.
Brockers and Jenkins made that draft for the Rams. Even if Pead and Quick don't become all pro's it's still very good draft.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Yamahopper said:
Anything you get after the 3rd is icing on the cake.

I disagree. What you'd like to see is a good miss/hit ratio on picks after the 3rd, IMO. Not a 100% perfect hit ratio, but a better rate at making the right pick than the wrong one.

Later picks will provide cheap depth-at least- for a few seasons. If they prove to be worth a new contract, they'll be resigned. If not, a new guy will step in.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Yamahopper settling for less:
Brockers and Jenkins made that draft for the Rams. Even if Pead and Quick don't become all pro's it's still very good draft.

The deal we did with Washington to get those extra draft picks is a once in a lifetime opportunity that must be taken full advantage of IMO.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
albefree69 said:
Yamahopper settling for less:

The deal we did with Washington to get those extra draft picks is a once in a lifetime opportunity that must be taken full advantage of IMO.

They rolled the dice on those guys going for upside. What the worst that can happen..Going 15 65 again.

catcheryea

UDFA
Wagner did have a good rookie season, but we all know what happened to the last good rookie LB the Seahawks drafted. The thing that gets me is Rok went from the favorite to win the LG spot to being completely out of a job.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Lesson said:
Yamahopper said:
Anything you get after the 3rd is icing on the cake.

I disagree. What you'd like to see is a good miss/hit ratio on picks after the 3rd, IMO. Not a 100% perfect hit ratio, but a better rate at making the right pick than the wrong one.

Later picks will provide cheap depth-at least- for a few seasons. If they prove to be worth a new contract, they'll be resigned. If not, a new guy will step in.

Late RD guys come and go, if you don't like your own late rounders then pick up another teams late rounders off the waiver wire. They are late rounders because they are flawed in some way.

Last half of the draft is for long term upside in the teams scheme and depth. Depth player might just be that, depth Think Josh Hull. Hull is here for depth till someone with upside arrives.
McGee is a upside player. Might take a year or so but he has the tools to become a starter.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Yamahopper wrote:
They rolled the dice on those guys going for upside. What the worst that can happen..Going 15 65 again.
I have no quarrel with the picks. Just saying that Jenkins and Brockers didn't make the draft. Even in a meh draft you should get three great players with two first round picks and two 2nd round picks, one of which is very high. That's the baseline for me. You get a C for that.