The small NFL stadium experiment...could it be the start of a trend?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bnw

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They do..but they also reward cities that build new stadiums that hold over a certain amount....I imagine after all of the cities that have new stadiums being built now are complete, it will be a rotation of Phoenix, Dallas, and LA. Maybe some of the stadiums with retractable roofs....

I remember when it was Joe Robby Stadium in Florida, the LA Coliseum almost every year there for a while.....
Add Tampa, Miami and New Orleans and I'll agree. From now on at least 75% of SBs will be hosted by those 6 cities.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Can't help noticing that 29,000 Chargers fans were dressed as empty seats yesterday.
Its a scrimmage open to season ticket holders and waiting list only with only the lower bowl seating available. 8000 were in attendance.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Add Tampa, Miami and New Orleans and I'll agree. From now on at least 75% of SBs will be hosted by those 6 cities.

And Houston. NRG is massive.

Also there's Indy, SF, and Minnesota (it's domed and amazing). I think it'll be diluted out more than you think.

Oh and I wouldn't rule out them going to Chicago for the first time or NY again.

bnw

Pro Bowler
And Houston. NRG is massive.

Also there's Indy, SF, and Minnesota (it's domed and amazing). I think it'll be diluted out more than you think.

Oh and I wouldn't rule out them going to Chicago for the first time or NY again.
Good catch! I forgot about Houston. Domed won't be a guarantee as both Atlanta (SB34 remember?) and Detroit had horrible weather. NFL realizes people spending that much money to attend don't want to be miserable.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its mostly because the NFL prefers a warm weather venue.
Not mostly, the renovations gave those two the edge over other warm weather area's that haven't done the same. New Orleans, Carolina, Jacksonville... All could have hosted instead but haven't done anything for their stadiums lately.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Not mostly, the renovations gave those two the edge over other warm weather area's that haven't done the same. New Orleans, Carolina, Jacksonville... All could have hosted instead but haven't done anything for their stadiums lately.
Yes, mostly. Jax won't get another because they got around the rule for minimum number of hotel rooms by docking cruise ships for the event. Won't happen again. Same for Charlotte is the lack of hotel rooms, plus open air stadium and the reasonable threat of inclement weather. Sorry but its still warm weather that is the motivator since Philly has been waiting since 2003 and Chicago isn't being considered years after their expensive renovation. Seattle is never mentioned either given open air stadium and threat of inclement weather.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Man.....you know what I learned....bunch about stadiums....but

@bnw
tatted baby and all....but the brother is DEEP......lololol

and I mean in the knowledge department....LOL

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Some stadiums around the NFL are already blocking off sections of the stands that they cannot fill and others are buying out seats to have the game broadcast locally. Smaller stadiums closer to 40,000 may be the future compared to the 70,000+ that seem to be the norm today.

No more blackout, at least for now. Teams do that so it doesn't look like shit on TV and they sell ad space on the tarps.

Of course.

A premiere stadium in the right geographical location will get the Olympic Games for a host city. You can bet Kroenke used the Olympics as a selling point to the Owners when everything was decided.

It takes A LOT more to get the Olympics than a premier stadium. A whole lot.

The NFL only cares about money. Small stadiums make less money. Therefore it won't happen.

You are correct.

I don't think it is about ticket sales as much as it is about grandeur. The NFL wants BIG.

Yeah it's about ticket sales, because the venue is what makes the owners TONS of money. The TV revenue pays for operations. The "gate" is the cake. Parking, concessions etc. The gate is the cake.

I'm actually ticked this stadium is being built for 66K....instead of 90k people.

I think it's built for 80,000 and can expand to 100K right? We would have to check.

While Miami and Tampa may be classified as old they both recently received some major work/remodel. That's the reason they are hosting SB's. They put money into the stadium so they get "rewarded".

The reason they get SB's is the weather that time of year is almost always perfect, and there are TONS of hotel rooms since it's Florida and tyhere are hotels everywhere. And they were getting SB's well before they got any upgrades.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The reason they get SB's is the weather that time of year is almost always perfect, and there are TONS of hotel rooms since it's Florida and tyhere are hotels everywhere. And they were getting SB's well before they got any upgrades.

Hehe you got it. The stadium upgrades didn't have anything to do with them getting the Super Bowls.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Good catch! I forgot about Houston. Domed won't be a guarantee as both Atlanta (SB34 remember?) and Detroit had horrible weather. NFL realizes people spending that much money to attend don't want to be miserable.

Assume Vegas will enter rotation also!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No more blackout, at least for now. Teams do that so it doesn't look like crap on TV and they sell ad space on the tarps.

Of course.

It takes A LOT more to get the Olympics than a premier stadium. A whole lot.

You are correct.

Yeah it's about ticket sales, because the venue is what makes the owners TONS of money. The TV revenue pays for operations. The "gate" is the cake. Parking, concessions etc. The gate is the cake.

I think it's built for 80,000 and can expand to 100K right? We would have to check.

Well I said...."A premiere stadium in the right geographical location..." Which meant to be correctly located near hotels and the weather is even more perfect in LA than Florida...:fighting:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well I said...."A premiere stadium in the right geographical location..." Which meant to be correctly located near hotels and the weather is even more perfect in LA than Florida...:fighting:

LOL it takes billions of wasted dollars to get the Olympics unless it's held in one of a few cities in the world that already have all the infrastructure in place to play the games without huge expenditures.

Like LA.

I think the world should get together and put 4 locations in place for this shit show. Rio and Sochi were the straws that broke the camels back for me.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL it takes billions of wasted dollars to get the Olympics unless it's held in one of a few cities in the world that already have all the infrastructure in place to play the games without huge expenditures.

Like LA.

I think the world should get together and put 4 locations in place for this crap show. Rio and Sochi were the straws that broke the camels back for me.

You and I must get attuned to the purpose of the games "The purpose of the modern Olympic Games is to promote peace and unity within the international community through the medium of sports." kum-ba-ya my Lord...kum-ba-ya....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You are correct....

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/19/architecture/new-nfl-stadium-los-angeles/index.html
Los Angeles will welcome the return of NFL football with the construction of a new 80,000-seat stadium complex and "NFL Disney World," expected to become the world's most expensive sports arena.............The capacity of the new stadium could exceed 100,000 for special events, say developers.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-inglewood-stadium-delay-20170518-story.html
The 70,240-seat stadium and adjacent performance center will be covered by a sail-shaped roof.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Got me curious so I went to vividseats.com and compared ticket prices for the Rams Skins at the colesium and Chargers Skins at the StubHub. Cheapest ticket for Colesium is 33$. Cheapest seat at StubHub is 86$. 50 yard line row 3 at Colesium is 386$. 50 yardline row 2 at StubHub is 1250$.

When the Stubhub deal was announced I was listening to Kirwan and the first thing he mentioned was that the owners of visiting teams are still going to expect a full ticket split on gameday, so the cost of the tickets would likely double. And by God that's pretty much what it looks like as they try to make that up.

What that means is they're going to play in a stadium filled with golf clappers who don't know when to be loud. Types who drink chardonnay and snap pouty-faced selfies while they snack on gluten free flatbread pizzas.

You can have that BS.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When the Stubhub deal was announced I was listening to Kirwan and the first thing he mentioned was that the owners of visiting teams are still going to expect a full ticket split on gameday, so the cost of the tickets would likely double. And by God that's pretty much what it looks like as they try to make that up.

What that means is they're going to play in a stadium filled with golf clappers who don't know when to be loud. Types who drink chardonnay and snap pouty-faced selfies while they snack on gluten free flatbread pizzas.

You can have that BS.
A jug of Boones Farm Apple is $50? WTF!
~Merlin @ StubHub