The small NFL stadium experiment...could it be the start of a trend?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Or does the NFL mandate the minimum seating capacity for teams?

If not, then the Chargers playing a few years in the much smaller stadium might pose an opportunity for cities or team owners or both to arrive at a much more cost effective solution for future stadiums.

The fans in attendance will certainly benefit from a much smaller stadium. Much closer to the field of play. Much smaller crowd to deal with. Less traffic to deal with in the vicinity of the stadium. Easier to sell out games to get the games broadcast locally. Would most likely increase the price of tickets though.

Some stadiums around the NFL are already blocking off sections of the stands that they cannot fill and others are buying out seats to have the game broadcast locally. Smaller stadiums closer to 40,000 may be the future compared to the 70,000+ that seem to be the norm today.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Vz3J7df.png

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stadiums are used for more than just NFL games, of course. A premiere stadium in the right geographical location will get the Olympic Games for a host city. You can bet Kroenke used the Olympics as a selling point to the Owners when everything was decided. Every fan wants to experience an in person game at some point, and a pigmy stadium with insane ticket prices will prevent average fans and their kids from ever experiencing that (by and large).

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
The NFL only cares about money. Small stadiums make less money. Therefore it won't happen.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't think it is about ticket sales as much as it is about grandeur. The NFL wants BIG.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
I don't see it catching on as a trend. This is a stop-gap; nothing more.

If UCLA and/or the Rose Bowl had been willing to strike a deal like the one between the Rams and USC, I bet the Chargers would be playing their home games in Pasadena for the next 3 years.

PLUS: small stadium = no shot in hell at hosting a Super Bowl

bnw

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
PLUS: small stadium = no shot in hell at hosting a Super Bowl

Lots of large stadiums are built with no chance of hosting a Super Bowl. Though I do get your point.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't think it is about ticket sales as much as it is about grandeur. The NFL wants BIG.
All you have to do is look at the Newest Stadiums that have been built, and you can see your absolutely right!!(y)(y);):D

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm actually pissed this stadium is being built for 66K....instead of 90k people.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Got me curious so I went to vividseats.com and compared ticket prices for the Rams Skins at the colesium and Chargers Skins at the StubHub. Cheapest ticket for Colesium is 33$. Cheapest seat at StubHub is 86$. 50 yard line row 3 at Colesium is 386$. 50 yardline row 2 at StubHub is 1250$.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Which modern NFL stadiums are those? I'm curious.

As a general rule those in locations that have a cold January and February although indoor stadiums can be thrown a bone. Only 7 Super Bowls have been played in locations that have cold weather and 6 were played indoors the one exception being 2014 in MetLife Stadium.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
With more and more people watching online and on tv and fewer attending games, the smaller, upscale stadium has a chance to catch on.

As the current prices show, people are willing to pay for a MUCH better view in a smaller venue. I've been to StubHub to watch the LA Galaxy and it's really hard to describe that there ARE NO BAD SEATS THERE. There are no "nose bleed" seats where you rely on the crowd and jumbotron to really convey the action moreso than what you're actually seeing. Many of the crappiest seats in a large venue are significantly worse than any at home experience with the only benefits being tailgating and "being there".

If a team that's struggling to fill a large venue went with this concept (presuming they still had luxury boxes and all the accoutrement), then the smaller, upscale venue is definitely an option. The event remains being an "event" while the organization has greater opportunities to upsell and upscale the venue to allow for greater profit margins.

bnw

Pro Bowler
With more and more people watching online and on tv and fewer attending games, the smaller, upscale stadium has a chance to catch on.

As the current prices show, people are willing to pay for a MUCH better view in a smaller venue. I've been to StubHub to watch the LA Galaxy and it's really hard to describe that there ARE NO BAD SEATS THERE. There are no "nose bleed" seats where you rely on the crowd and jumbotron to really convey the action moreso than what you're actually seeing. Many of the crappiest seats in a large venue are significantly worse than any at home experience with the only benefits being tailgating and "being there".

If a team that's struggling to fill a large venue went with this concept (presuming they still had luxury boxes and all the accoutrement), then the smaller, upscale venue is definitely an option. The event remains being an "event" while the organization has greater opportunities to upsell and upscale the venue to allow for greater profit margins.

I see it the same way. Exclusivity sells and at a high price. LA is a place where it could work.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Hopefully the dolts will just decide to call that wonderful tiny stadium their permanent home then.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
As a general rule those in locations that have a cold January and February although indoor stadiums can be thrown a bone. Only 7 Super Bowls have been played in locations that have cold weather and 6 were played indoors the one exception being 2014 in MetLife Stadium.

Right, but which modern locations are those? Every modern, newly built stadium puts in for a Superbowl bid. Kinda go hand in hand with the league.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Right, but which modern locations are those? Every modern, newly built stadium puts in for a Superbowl bid. Kinda go hand in hand with the league.
Modern doesn't have much to do with it. It is the climate which is almost always warm weather for the 2 weeks before the game. Any stadium can put in for it but doesn't mean they will get it. The NFL was surprised by the ice storm in Atlanta for Super Bowl 34 which is usually decent that time of year which only reaffirmed their desire to keep the event in warm weather. Only 4 locations (I'm including Indy) north of the Mason-Dixon Line have had a Super Bowl. Of the remaining 11 locations 7 are in the south and 4 in the west. Cities having hosted the game are as follows:

Miami 10 times
New Orleans 10 times
Los Angeles 7
Tampa 4
San Diego 3
Phoenix 3
Houston 3
Atlanta 2
Detroit 2
San Francisco 2
Minneapolis 1
Jacksonville 1
Dallas 1
Indianapolis 1
New York metro 1

In a 32 team league 7 cities account for 60% of the games.

From Wikipedia:

Selection process[edit]
The location of the Super Bowl is chosen by the NFL well in advance, usually three to five years before the game. Cities place bids to host a Super Bowl and are evaluated in terms of stadium renovation and their ability to host.[42][48] In 2014, a document listing the specific requirements of Super Bowl hosts was leaked, giving a clear list of what was required for a Super Bowl host.[49] Much of the cost of the Super Bowl is to be assumed by the host community, although some costs are enumerated within the requirements to be assumed by the NFL. Some of the host requirements include:

• The host stadium must be in a market that hosts an NFL team and must have a minimum of 70,000 seats, with the media and electrical amenities necessary to produce the Super Bowl. Stadiums may include temporary seating for Super Bowls, but seating must be approved by the league. Stadiums where the average game day temperature is below 50° Fahrenheit must either have a roof, or a waiver given by the league. There must be a minimum of 35,000 parking spaces within one mile of the stadium.
  • The host stadium must have space for the Gameday Experience, a large pregame entertainment area, within walking distance of the stadium.
  • The host city must have space for the NFL Experience, the interactive football theme park which is operated the week prior to the Super Bowl. An indoor venue for the event must have a minimum of 850,000 square feet, and an outdoor venue must have a minimum of 1,000,000 square feet. Additionally, there must be space nearby for the Media Center, and space for all other events involved in the Super Bowl week, including golf courses and bowling alleys.
  • The necessary infrastructure must be in place around the stadium and other Super Bowl facilities, including parking, security, electrical needs, media needs, communication needs and transportation needs.
  • There must be a minimum number of hotel spaces within one hour's drive of the stadium equaling 35% of the stadium's capacity, along with hotels for the teams, officials, media and other dignitaries. (For Super Bowl XXXIX, the city of Jacksonville docked several luxury cruise liners at their port to act as temporary hotel space.[50])
  • There must be practice space of equal and comparable quality for both teams within a 20-minute drive of the team hotels, and rehearsal space for all events within a reasonable distance to the stadium. The practice facilities must have one grass field and at least one field of the same surface as the host stadium.
  • The stadium must have a minimum of 70,000 fixed seats, including club and fixed suite seating, during regular season operations.
The NFL owners meet to make a selection on the site, usually three to five years prior to the event. In 2007, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suggested that a Super Bowl might be played in London, perhaps at Wembley Stadium.[51] The game has never been played in a region that lacks an NFL franchise; seven Super Bowls have been played in Los Angeles, but none were held there in the 21-year period when the league had no team in the area. New Orleans, the site of the 2013 Super Bowl, invested more than $1 billion in infrastructure improvements in the years leading up to the game.[52]

Last edited: