The scariest part of our attempt to trade back in to rd 1 for Z Martin is...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Is that why fisher is so quick to say Robinson will start at G?

What is REALLY scary is the thought of Robinson starting at T!

I don't think so Robinson could start at RT and be an instant upgrade over Barksdale, however, they might want to keep him on the left side in between the veteran Long and Wells. RFIP IMO OL Coach Paul Boudreau is one of the best in the NFL and if he was pounding on the table for Robinson, I feel this kid is going to be truly special and in the end I know you want him to be the next Orlando Pace!

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The fact they tried hard to move up for Martin makes me worry what they are thinking about Jake Long's re-hab and future.

That would be smart would it not? Martin as discussed yesterday early is a very good candidate for a starting OLG or a fair ORT. I not all that high as most as others were. Martin was NOT a good fit for this Boudreau power blocking scheme.

Could be that the ORG. is thinking Jake Long may end up @ Right OT thus fielding & starting Robinson @ OLT & Martin @ OLG in 2015 with Jake Long replacing the departed Joe Barksdale in UFA'cy.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The fact they tried hard to move up for Martin makes me worry what they are thinking about Jake Long's re-hab and future.
I don't know if I would go that far in the thought process. Barksdale did a decent job @ RT last yeat......maybe they would like an upgrade and put Robinson there let Barksdale be the swing tackle he was originally thought to be and plug in someone to handle the LG position and then instead of "decent job" they are as close to dominant as any line can be in the NFL. Can you see how crushing it would be to SF, Seattle or Arizona, if we just lined up and drove the ball straight down the field. None of those teams believe anyone can run on them that well.........It would be de-moralizing.....

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I don't I just think they loved Martin and wanted to solve the offensive line issue once and for all. IMO they could be looking at Billy Turner or Joel Bitonio today, however, CB and Safety are a major need as well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't think so IMO Robinson could start at RT and be an instant upgrade over Barksdale, however, they might want to keep him on the left side in between the veteran Long and Wells. RFIP IMO OL Paul Boudreau is one of the best in the NFL and if he was pounding on the table for Robinson, I feel this kid is going to be truly special and in the end I know you want him to be the next Orlando Pace!

Yes I agree fully den...... GR will be a LEFT side OL'er. Remember GR only started one season in college. Before that .....GR was an all star LEFT OG! Once GR learns & masters the Boudreau technique of NFL OL play (whenever that happens) GR will be our starting LEFT OT. If it early then Jake Long will be our new starting RIGHT OT.

I don't I just think they loved Martin and wanted to solve the offensive line issue once and for all. IMO they could be looking at Billy Turner or Joel Bitonio today, however, CB and Safety are a major need as well.

That need for a Nickle CB is the biggest at this point in time.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This

Totally agree. If they were looking to trade back into the 1st for another OT/OG I think there concerned with what they have. Still

Alan

Legend
SaneRamsFan trying to read tea leaves:
Had we drafted Clowney would you be worrying about Long and Quinn?

We could use another OT/G for sure but not because of fears about Long per se. Fears about keeping any of our O-line players is a factor though. IMO.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No doubt. If the kid is Pace-like then we hit a grand slam yesterday. So we shall see.

I don't think so Robinson could start at RT and be an instant upgrade over Barksdale, however, they might want to keep him on the left side in between the veteran Long and Wells. RFIP IMO OL Coach Paul Boudreau is one of the best in the NFL and if he was pounding on the table for Robinson, I feel this kid is going to be truly special and in the end I know you want him to be the next Orlando Pace!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
WHAT THE HE'LL IS GOING ON WITH BARRETT JONES ALREADY.
I sure wish someone can give us an in depth look at the situation.

He could be a huge contributor if ready.

I'm still hoping for a top guard at 44.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I sure wish someone can give us an in depth look at the situation.

He could be a huge contributor if ready.

I'm still hoping for a top guard at 44.

If the plan is to play Robinson at LG we will already have two premiere guards. I know we tried trading up for martin but that may just be because we had him rated that highly on our board, doesnt necessarily mean we are going to draft a guard.

One thing is for sure, if robinson plays lg, run plays to the left will be devastating behind him and long, plus you have saffold pulling which he showed how well he can do that last year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I sure wish someone can give us an in depth look at the situation.He could be a huge contributor if ready. I'm still hoping for a top guard at 44.

Not sure that we will know anything about whats planned for Barrett until TC. Out recon ROD team on the ground in TC should keep briefed and up to date with Barrett. All we can do is go off what we already know from his history....meaning whatever is needed whatever post needs him he will be inserted and will perform up to standards needed to win. One would imagine that he will be a key game day reserve due to his great ability to play all five OL positions....that's a rare thing in itself.

Yes I am with you on that top OG @ #44 but with six teams ahead of us that need OG's badly i.e. Washington, Cleveland, Oakland, Tampa, Jags & NYG's. Fisher want a top OG like Su'a-Filo, Joel Bitonio, Morgan Moses or maybe Cyrus Kouandjio. Snead may need to use some of that third day trade fodder to move up to secure their player.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
If the plan is to play Robinson at LG we will already have two premiere guards. I know we tried trading up for martin but that may just be because we had him rated that highly on our board, doesnt necessarily mean we are going to draft a guard.

One thing is for sure, if robinson plays lg, run plays to the left will be devastating behind him and long, plus you have saffold pulling which he showed how well he can do that last year.

My biggest fear is having Saffold start at T if Long isn't ready and getting hurt. I would like to keep him at guard full time.
If Long isn't ready I would hope that Robinson can get up to speed and start at LT.

Long, Wells and Saffold are great when they're on the field.

I want a deep, dominant line. Sounds greedy, but this subpar line has gone on for too many years now.

I like where this is all heading, though

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Not sure that we will know anything about whats planned for Barrett until TC. Out recon ROD team on the ground in TC should keep briefed and up to date with Barrett. All we can do is go off what we already know from his history....meaning whatever is needed whatever post needs him he will be inserted and will perform up to standards needed to win. One would imagine that he will be a key game day reserve due to his great ability to play all five OL positions....that's a rare thing in itself.

Yes I am with you on that top OG @ #44 but with six teams ahead of us that need OG's badly i.e. Washington, Cleveland, Oakland, Tampa, Jags & NYG's. Fisher want a top OG like Su'a-Filo, Joel Bitonio, Morgan Moses or maybe Cyrus Kouandjio. Snead may need to use some of that third day trade fodder to move up to secure their player.

Completely agree.

O line was a hot position in the first rnd.
I'm expecting ting more of the same with the guards in the second rnd.

BeerOClock

Rookie

Dead on. Adding a talent like Martin to the younger Robinson, Saffold, B. Jones and Barksdale would have shored up the offensive line for the next five years. It would be both dominating and flexible. Having 2014 and 2015 offensive line of LT-Long LG-Robinson C-Wells then B. Jones/Barnes RG-Saffold RT-Martin with Barksdale as the swing lineman, it would be one of the better lines in the NFL. If Long's rehab takes longer than expected, your well covered. If someone gets injured, your well covered.

Because Martin is both talented and flexible, it would have been a great move.

If nothing else, the attempt to get both Robinson and Martin should end the tiresome argument about Fisher never drafting offensive linemen in the first round.

Last edited:

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Really hurts that we couldn't land Martin at 16, I wanted him at 13 if we got Clowney at 2.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
RFIP I know your steamed that watkins
Is not a Ram. I get its frustrating but to
Already be comparing Robinson to a hugely failed pick is ridiculous and screams tantrum chill out

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Just that if Jason Smith was an all pro LT most likely maybe the Rams could have gone WR. Basically if you whiff in the first round especially that early there are ramifications years later. Even if Smith was an all pro RT most likely the Rams take Watkins and then Martin, but that's JMHO.
Still not sure I'd call Smith a "whiff" since everyone being discussed who would not have been considered a huge reach for that pick bombed. If success is impossible, failure is not because of incompetence.

That said, picking up another first round OLer wouldn't have said to me that they don't think Robinson can play. They obviously think they do, since THIS year, there WERE options. It would have said they're so dedicated to fixing the OL, that they'd be willing to risk even a first round pick being on the bench (or displacing a proven talented player)... and I still think that's incredibly wrong headed. Pick people who will PLAY. LATER rounds are for depth.