The scariest part of our attempt to trade back in to rd 1 for Z Martin is...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

...they were winning to mortgage a significant part of our future picks to acquire a guy who could come in and play T right now when they just drafted a guy @ 2 who can not.

Think about this, they can EASILY stay at 44 and get the OG of their choice and play Robinson at tackle IF they so choose, can they not?

If your listening, that should speak volumes where they perceive Robinson to be at as a T, which is right in line to where I see him as well.

Praying he's the next Larry Allen and not the next J Smith!

jjab360

Legend
I swear to god I'm going to nut punch the next person who says Jason Smith. Not even in the context of comparing him to Robinson, just in general don't want to hear the name again.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
...they were winning to mortgage a significant part of our future picks to acquire a guy who could come in and play T right now when they just drafted a guy @ 2 who can not.

If your listening, that should speak volumes where they perceive Robinson to be at as a T, which is right in line to where I see him as well.

Or they planned to play Robinson at RT and Martin at LG.

And wanted to trade up for Martin for two reasons:
A) They think protecting Sam and opening holes for Stacy is the key to the offense's success
and
B) They projected Martin to be an exceptional NFL OG

It seems to me that being unhappy with the pick, you chose the conclusion that confirms your view.

Think about this, they can EASILY stay at 44 and get the OG of their choice and play Robinson at tackle IF they so choose, can they not?

No. Because Martin was the OG of their choice. More or less, this is no different than saying they could stay at 44 and get a WR rather than taking Watkins at #2. I think we both recognize the talent difference between the two.

Alan

Legend
RFIP with a supposition:
Martin is so much more valuable than any guard we can draft at #44. Only Bitonio can even come close to his versatility. He's really only capable of playing RT or G. I question whether Bitionio even makes it to us at #44 and he's a lesser player IMO.

I'm glad we didn't waste major resources in trading up for him though.

Had we picked Watkins and Donald in the first round, we'd still have 4 major holes to fill at OT, G, FS and CB with a realistic chance of only filling two of them.

Memphis Ram

Legend

What's scary to me is that you can't see that Martin (and his 32 7/8" arms) would have obviously been playing LG and Robinson would have started out at RT.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's because of the Jason Smith pick that Robinson was the pick and not Sammy Watkins and that's where the comparison ends. I concur with jrry & Memphis and for the record Jonathan Ogden played OG in his first year and you know the rest of the story.

RFIP I understand and the Rams do have to score points, but they can't pass the ball if the QB is on the ground and it does not matter how fast the WR is. Seahawks just won the Super Bowl and who were the WR's?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dont pretend to know what they were or werent willing to trade.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What's scary to me is that you can't see that Martin (and his 32 7/8" arms) would have obviously been playing LG and Robinson would have started out at RT.

Is that why fisher is so quick to say Robinson will start at G?

What is REALLY scary is the thought of Robinson starting at T!

Memphis Ram

Legend
Is that why fisher is so quick to say Robinson will start at G?

What is REALLY scary is the thought of Robinson starting at T!

It was reported that they would play Robinson at LG, but I actually heard Fisher in an interview say that they weren't sure where he would play yet.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agree 100% on the J Smith analogy.

That said, it's the chicken/egg scenerio because you can block all day but if your guys can't win down field (how many announcers do we have to hear say this about Rsm wrs?) it don't matter how well you pass pro.

It's because of the Jason Smith pick that Robinson was the pick and not Sammy Watkins and that's where the comparison ends. I concur with jrry and for the record Jonathan Odgen played OG in his first year and you know the rest of the story.

RFIP I understand and the Rams do have to score points, but they can't pass the ball if the QB is on the ground and it does not matter how fast the WR is. Seahawks just won the Super Bowl and who were the WR's?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
They may have wanted Martin to play center for them at first then move to either OG or OT.

iced

It's because of the Jason Smith pick that Robinson was the pick and not Sammy Watkins and that's where the comparison ends. I concur with jrry & Memphis and for the record Jonathan Ogden played OG in his first year and you know the rest of the story.

What Do you mean by this?

Could have been that they viewed Martin as an elite OG prospect and have enough faith in Robinson to start him at LT day 1 and cut Long, thus giving us the money to re-sign Barksdale and have our line solidified for the next 5 years.

Or maybe Robinson sucks and they realised they'd made a mistake the moment they turned in the card?

Or maybe none of the above, who outside of the war room knows?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
What Do you mean by this?

Just that if Jason Smith was an all pro LT most likely maybe the Rams could have gone WR. Basically if you whiff in the first round especially that early there are ramifications years later. Even if Smith was an all pro RT most likely the Rams take Watkins and then Martin, but that's JMHO.

iced

Just that if Jason Smith was an all pro LT most likely maybe the Rams could have gone WR. Basically if you whiff in the first round especially that early there are ramifications years later. Even if Smith was an all pro RT most likely the Rams take Watkins and then Martin, but that's JMHO.

Thanks - the wordin had me confused..and i agree

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Agree 100% on the J Smith analogy.

That said, it's the chicken/egg scenerio because you can block all day but if your guys can't win down field (how many announcers do we have to hear say this about Rsm wrs?) it don't matter how well you pass pro.

This is where you and I disagree, if you give a good QB time, he will always find a WR open and the Rams have plenty of speed at WR in Austin & Givens so I understand where you're going with vertical congestion, however, IMO the Ram WR's need to hang onto the ball and have a QB that can actually throw the ball down field.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
The fact they tried hard to move up for Martin makes me worry what they are thinking about Jake Long's re-hab and future.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
And to add on the den-the-coach's comments. Since we are a run first team, by establishing the run at a dominant level will allow our receivers better matchups and possible help w/ secondary guys "peeking" in the backfield and giving seperation where before we were stuffed by the frount 7....or less. A stronger Oline plays across for our offense.