The Safety Situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Stewart
McDonald
Daniels
McLeod

That is what we have, other than the UFDAs. We saw in Fish's defense last year that he likes a single high safety (FS) and a guy who plays around the LOS and in the box (SS). Problem is, I think both Stewart & McDonald play their best football around the LOS. They can lay the wood and are very aggressive. I don't think we have an issue with a SS who can play in the box (in fact Daniels can too), its the single high FS which worries me.

Watching McDonald at SC the past few years (being a west coast guy), his physical tools and leadership are undeniable, its his discipline that worries me. Too often have I seen him get sucked in by play action or overrun a play going for the big hit. His range is good, not great. On the other side I think Stew has underrated coverage ability. The few times he was put in intermediate to deep coverage in 2012 he made plays and didn't allow any big completions. This is not to say that Stew is the long-term answer at FS.

My gut feeling is Fish and Co. want to employ McDonald as our FS and play Stew around the LOS as our SS. Do they have any plans to bring in a vet like Mikell, Rhodes, or Woodson? Are they content with the 4 they have?

IMO, we have three strong safeties & a special teamer filling our safety depth chart. There is some versatility with McDonald & Stewart, but they play their best football around the LOS.

Thoughts?

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
When Dahl went out for a few plays last year, Stewart came in at FS. The opposing QB took a couple shots at him, thinking he was the backup, and he covered WAY better than Dahl did. So he's an upgrade immediately at that position. I think MacDonald is the replacement for Mikkel.

Besides the coaching staff might be willing to start Mcleod their too. I'm not so worried about the position.

fearsomefour

Legend
I hadnt seen McDonald much. What I read it seemed the opposite not a big risk taker....maybe those reports were wrong. To be honest, much of what you read on draft sites is rehashed notes from someone else. Anyway, when he played Stewart stood out because he made some plays....on a D that didnt make many. But, he took chances. He gave up plays also. It will be interesting to see if Mikkle is brought back, although again, he played best up toward the line of scrimmage.

bluecoconuts

Legend
If I remember correctly, and someone who's seen more of him (DR?) can correct me... McDonald played a fair amount of S at the single high spot at USC. But to be honest I hardly ever watched USC the past few years, just a few plays at a time. I think I remember seeing him there quite a few times though when I did.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
If I remember correctly, and someone who's seen more of him (DR?) can correct me... McDonald played a fair amount of S at the single high spot at USC. But to be honest I hardly ever watched USC the past few years, just a few plays at a time. I think I remember seeing him there quite a few times though when I did.
He kind of moved around a little. Started his career at SS as a freshmen, and then moved to FS, didn't red shirt. Here's the thing, he was awesome in his second year, and pretty good as junior, but people didn't think he was a good fit for the Tampa 2 that Monte Kiffin started running, I don't remember which year. The Tampa 2 puts a lot of responsibility on the FS, and with so many teams that are playing the spread, they send out and flood the field creating multiple targets.

It seems as if the Rams alluded to this in their press conference that McDonald had some legitimate excuses to why his production fell off, and I hate to say that, it was in some categories his best, 112 tackles, but everyone thought that he would be more of an impact player. I thought he'd be more of an impact player...

Most think that he is an "in the box" safety, but I think that he can play free safety, and he might even be a better "free" than "strong," because with his body type(long legs), it will be hard for him to transition in short areas. On the flip side, his body type, IMO, will help him to gobble up ground in space, and he has very good ball skills. He was at his best in the single high spot, IMO.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
DR RAM said:
bluecoconuts said:
He kind of moved around a little. Started his career at SS as a freshmen, and then moved to FS, didn't red shirt. Here's the thing, he was awesome in his second year, and pretty good as junior, but people didn't think he was a good fit for the Tampa 2 that Monte Kiffin started running, I don't remember which year. The Tampa 2 puts a lot of responsibility on the FS, and with so many teams that are playing the spread, they send out and flood the field creating multiple targets.

It seems as if the Rams alluded to this in their press conference that McDonald had some legitimate excuses to why his production fell off, and I hate to say that, it was in some categories his best, 112 tackles, but everyone thought that he would be more of an impact player. I thought he'd be more of an impact player...

Most think that he is an "in the box" safety, but I think that he can play free safety, and he might even be a better "free" than "strong," because with his body type(long legs), it will be hard for him to transition in short areas. On the flip side, his body type, IMO, will help him to gobble up ground in space, and he has very good ball skills. He was at his best in the single high spot, IMO.
That's good info, I was wondering what Fisher meant by "there was a reason for that". I also heard others say that his best position might be free safety, but watching the highlights of him (admittedly I've see few USC games) he seemed more of a SS type. I think the Rams' biggest need on defense was a FS. Someone who could be a ball hawk type...another OJ Atogwe. The one thing this defense is missing is turnovers. Sometimes if you have a rangy FS that help facilitate that. I'm not sure there was a FS like that in this class.

I agree with what another poster alluded to...I think Fisher is planning on using Stewart as a SS, guy near the LOS...but he seemed to play well when asked to go deep into coverage at FS. I guess we'll have to see how the whole thing plays out.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm just glad Dahl plays for San Fran now,I hope he tries to cover Jarred Cook

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The Rams know what they got at Safety. We just see names.
If they were concerned they could have drafted different. or moved around more in this draft using some picks from next season to get more players. They didn't. We saw Mcleod and Daniels in glimpses last year, they saw them everyday in practice. They might be ready to step up.
There's a few vets still out there and will be more cuts coming now that the draft is over to pick up.

Any backfield without C. Dahl is a improvement.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
The additions through UDFA's of Cody Davis and Ray Ray Armstrong are intriguing too.. Both big, hitters. Both can cover a bit. One of those two along side TjMcD would be an imposing backend.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Based on what we were told draft day... The Rams wanted McDonald bad. They are definitely confident in this guy.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
Based on what we were told draft day... The Rams wanted McDonald bad. They are definitely confident in this guy.

:plus1:

Im excited to see how TJ plays in our scheme

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
CGI_Ram said:

Fisher probably has some serius inside information on this kid. He also most likely knows his dad! The fact that our 3rd rd safety was asked to play the rover LB'er hybrid in 2012 had all the prospect sites cemented in stone that he was a pure bonified Archuleta type in the box up serious close to the LOS.

When one does erase the 2012 season it does appear to be evident that his best year came when he was playing in the deep. I can not argue with Fisher and his ability to judge DB's. I would jump in more often on the offensive side but with Fisher, Walton & Cecil you know that trio have gotten together here on this critical selection.

This kid is a very tall and at the same time cut 220 pounder! They say without any Range but with some fairly good ball skills. That's new to this back end in that alone. I do think that the safety cadre have a ton of questions that from most outsiders looks unsettling and weak when you put these four together. The other TJ 3rd rd selection from 2012 ended up kicking our past two yr starting corner to the bench named Fletcher. Fletcher is expected to start on his new team this yr. So two 3rd round TJ's playing in the secondary will be confusing to most.

I feel positive about Darian Stewart starting @ strong safety. I am not positive on Matt Daniels ability to be healthy enough after to knee surgeries in 2012 to get the badly needed TC & PS in 2013 plus he missed the TC & PS last year too. So there is a big issue there. The other UDFA Rodney McLeod is a different matter. I am positive about him. He will have benefited from last yrs TC & PS plus the 16 games he has under his belt as our main Gunner on ST's and did see the field at FS early in the season when Stewart was out. McLeod should be stronger smarter & ready to see a bunch of early action in camp @ deep safety! So I expect the Rams to add some interesting UDFA's to this safety cadre and when the cutdowns take place just before the season begins they will add a free safety vet if there is a need.

This current 9 player DB cadre Outside of old man Cortland Finnegan is all 24 yrs or younger very extremely young. But there in lies the concern but also the high possibilities. Tim Walton & Chuck Cecil will earn their pay this season!

jap

Legend
BonifayRam said:
Fisher probably has some serius inside information on this kid. He also most likely knows his dad!

Fish coached TJ's dad, Tim MacDonald, in San Francisco. And Fish has kept tabs on the progress on Tim's two sons all along. In fact, I believe TJ indicated that after he heard from the Rams of his selection, he talked to his dad to find out all he could about Fish. He seems grateful to have been selected by someone his dad truly respects and admires!

Shawnbb158

Starter
Like most of you I didn't watch USC much but from the little I have seen on him he seems to have good ball skills.

bluecoconuts

Legend
jap said:
BonifayRam said:
Fisher probably has some serius inside information on this kid. He also most likely knows his dad!

Fish coached TJ's dad, Tim MacDonald, in San Francisco. And Fish has kept tabs on the progress on Tim's two sons all along. In fact, I believe TJ indicated that after he heard from the Rams of his selection, he talked to his dad to find out all he could about Fish. He seems grateful to have been selected by someone his dad truly respects and admires!

Fisher has been watching him since he went to USC, so essentially he's been scouting him for 3 years (4 if you want to count his Freshman year where he only play ST).... Needless to say, the homework was done there.

nighttrain

Legend
rams24/7 said:
Stewart
McDonald
Daniels
McLeod

That is what we have, other than the UFDAs. We saw in Fish's defense last year that he likes a single high safety (FS) and a guy who plays around the LOS and in the box (SS). Problem is, I think both Stewart & McDonald play their best football around the LOS. They can lay the wood and are very aggressive. I don't think we have an issue with a SS who can play in the box (in fact Daniels can too), its the single high FS which worries me.

Watching McDonald at SC the past few years (being a west coast guy), his physical tools and leadership are undeniable, its his discipline that worries me. Too often have I seen him get sucked in by play action or overrun a play going for the big hit. His range is good, not great. On the other side I think Stew has underrated coverage ability. The few times he was put in intermediate to deep coverage in 2012 he made plays and didn't allow any big completions. This is not to say that Stew is the long-term answer at FS.

My gut feeling is Fish and Co. want to employ McDonald as our FS and play Stew around the LOS as our SS. Do they have any plans to bring in a vet like Mikell, Rhodes, or Woodson? Are they content with the 4 they have?

IMO, we have three strong safeties & a special teamer filling our safety depth chart. There is some versatility with McDonald & Stewart, but they play their best football around the LOS.

Thoughts?
Cody Davis, UDFA from Texas Tech. Guy can play and he is a safety. How he did not get drafted boggles my mind
<a class="postlink" href="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1612470-cody-davis-video-highlights-for-former-texas-tech-ss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1612 ... as-tech-ss</a>
Listed as a SS, but with his 4.4 speed and lift off, perfect CF safety, and put Macdonald in the box at SS, end of problems
train

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Nice, I was worried about this position before reading this thread. Your thoughts have solidified the position a bit for me.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The additions of safeties Cody Davis & Ray Ray Armstrong are legit NFL prospects. I think it spells doom for the likes of rehabbing knee Matt Daniels. Rams have the look of a total different secondary two yrs away from Spags & Billy's days. :bign:

CodyDavis's Texas Tech's pro day, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.42 and 4.41 seconds. He had a 41 1/2-inch vertical and 10-foot-3 broad jump. His short shuttle time was 4.00 seconds and he had a 6.78-second three-cone drill. He had 15 lifts of 225 pounds on the bench press.

"Davis showed exceptional change-of-direction quickness in the pro-agility shuttle and three-cone drills as well as during his positional workout. Davis smoothly executed turns and transitions while displaying better-than-anticipated balance and body control for a guy his size (6-2, 203 pounds). He also showed outstanding ball skills, awareness and hands in drills. With defensive coordinators searching for guys capable of matching up with the big-bodied receivers and tight ends dominating the NFL, Davis will certainly garner strong consideration as a potential mid-round selection."

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/cody-davis?id=2541135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2541135</a>

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Wonder if TJ starts by default. I don't see any other safety that can start while he develops a bit. Darian's probably the other starter...the rest are STers.

nighttrain

Legend
Angry Ram said:
Wonder if TJ starts by default. I don't see any other safety that can start while he develops a bit. Darian's probably the other starter...the rest are STers.
I see Cody Davis, with his speed and skills, as starting FS..Soon if not first game
train