The running QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The reason they try to make pocket passers out of them is that they are trying to protect hem. None of these running QBs are Steve McNair. The closest in size is probably Newton and he can't stay healthy due to taking too many hits. Running QBs don't work in he NFL because they don't last. Every now and then an anomaly like Wilson or Randall Cunningham comes along, but as a group running QBs cannot pull it off against superior NFL athletes. The running catches up to them in the form of injuries.

A winning QB is the most difficult piece to find when assembling a winning team. Guys like Rodgers Manning and even Luck can carry a team through games. They also play a long time. Running QBs don't last and teams that win with one want them to last so the try to protect them.

In a way you are right. The only way to succeed with a running QB is to play to their strengths but too often that means shortened careers and going back to finding a QB for the scouts and GMs. All teams wish to keep their Quality QBs a long time keeping them in the pocket is their best option.

Yet ironically, many of these same running QBs have been hurt while in the pocket meant to proctect them.

Yes, the winning QB is the most difficult piece to find when assembling a winning team if they plan to maintain the traditonal model of the position. But Chip Kelly has inspired me to consider how a creative offensive mind can take away some of the luster of the position. It's Chip Kelly's offense vs. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or even Drew Brees offense.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yet ironically, many of these same running QBs have been hurt while in the pocket meant to proctect them.

Yes, the winning QB is the most difficult piece to find when assembling a winning team if they plan to maintain the traditonal model of the position. But Chip Kelly has inspired me to consider how a creative offensive mind can take away some of the luster of the position. It's Chip Kelly's offense vs. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or even Drew Brees offense.
Chip Kelly's offense also sacrifices the defense as well. Their offensive possessions are so quick the defense is on the field during much of the game. Can that style win in the playoffs. It's clear it can in the regular season.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Chip Kelly's offense wont have long term success in the NFL IMO. Teams will adapt parts of the concepts but overall good defenses will still be good defenses. Just like the GSOT coaches catch up and figure out how to beat it. It is a novelty.

Win1-4Ned

Rookie
Do any of them have the ability to protect the football? I would guess that Fisher places a priority on that above all else. That is Wilson's best trait, in my mind. He rarely turns the ball over. Good Shaun Hill protected the ball and we beat Denver; bad Hill ripped our guts out last week. Now, how to identify such a player and that player being available to the Rams are things beyond my understanding of the game and control.

Ramathon

I'm worried Mariota may fall into that category. He may not. In college he hasn't had to sit and read. He is normally throwing to a wide open target, or he is running. I just wish he played in a system that translates better so we could get a better read on the guy.

1. I seriously doubt we even need to be concerned about drafting Mariotta as it's highly unlikely he'll be on the board when the Rams pick...barring some sort of trade up scenario.

2. I just don't see his style of play fitting into the Rams' style of O...assuming Fisher/Schottenheimer are both back.