The running QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If what you're saying is true and I know you watch college ball (I watch none) then I don't want the guy. I have yet to see a QB develop the ability to read defenses in the NFL after coming out of a college where they didn't have to or only viewed half the field.

It never works.

I have. Steve McNair and Randall Cunningham come to mind right off. It just doesn't happen as fast as most would like to see.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
The Rams are in the market for a QB. The three names mentioned are Winston, Mariota, and Hundley. Winston is a guy who can play from the pocket, he can run but I don't consider him a running QB. He reminds me of Big Ben. He even has the rape allegations Ben has had. I digress. In 2012 people said the running QB was in. In 2014 the tune has changed a bit. RGIII has shown he can't play in the pocket and his body can't withstand the style he is capable of playing. Kaepernick hasn't developed into a pocket passer. Despite having a great support cast the 49ers offense has struggled. Newton, who I feel is the best of the bunch is banged up. Newton also hasn't developed well enough as a pocket guy. We have seen the likes of Vick and Vince Young flame out. Is a running QB what we want? Can Mariota or Hundley play in the pocket or are they more of the same?

If by a 'running QB' you mean the likes of Winston, Mariota, Kaepernick, Vick and the like, no we do not need nor should we want that.
We need a good QB - period. If he comes with the ability to avoid the rush if and when needed, great.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Running QBs thrive off lesser teams. When confronted by a decent defense they fold like a bad poker hand. They're great for winning ESPN time, but bad for winning important games.

Same thing happens to traditional pocket passers.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If by a 'running QB' you mean the likes of Winston, Mariota, Kaepernick, Vick and the like, no we do not need nor should we want that.
We need a good QB - period. If he comes with the ability to avoid the rush if and when needed, great.
I think Winston is different from those guys. He can thrive in the pocket. He is just scary off the field.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well Seattle stopped pocket passing Peyton Manning, too. Strong defenses don't play favorites.

Anyway, there is scrambling and designed runs. The 49ers need to have more of the latter AND more of a commitment to running the football altogether. Even Frank Gore has become an afterthought. That's where is passing success came from in the past. Their running game.

This is hard to argue.

FRO

Legend
I have. Steve McNair and Randall Cunningham come to mind right off. It just doesn't happen as fast as most would like to see.
It doesn't happen a often as you would like though. Coming out I thought RGIII could succeed in the pocket. I was wrong. He played in that college spread which doesn't do much to showcase necessary skills a QB will need in the NFL. Reading defenses is huge. Fitting the ball into tight areas is huge. The spread doesn't eliminate all if it, however it minimizes it. I don't think it's fair to start a spread QB game one. They need time to develop and learn.

Memphis Ram

Legend
It doesn't happen a often as you would like though. Coming out I thought RGIII could succeed in the pocket. I was wrong. He played in that college spread which doesn't do much to showcase necessary skills a QB will need in the NFL. Reading defenses is huge. Fitting the ball into tight areas is huge. The spread doesn't eliminate all if it, however it minimizes it. I don't think it's fair to start a spread QB game one. They need time to develop and learn.

Only because these guys are no longer given the time to do so in this instant gratification league.

FRO

Legend
Only because these guys are no longer given the time to do so in this instant gratification league.
Very true. I can't believe there is talk the redskins are probably going to part with RGIII. That may have to do with him being tough to deal with, I don't know. All I know is there is no way I'm getting rid of him.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Very true. I can't believe there is talk the redskins are probably going to part with RGIII. That may have to do with him being tough to deal with, I don't know. All I know is there is no way I'm getting rid of him.

Well he just might need a change of scenery, IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well Seattle stopped pocket passing Peyton Manning, too. Strong defenses don't play favorites.

Anyway, there is scrambling and designed runs. The 49ers need to have more of the latter AND more of a commitment to running the football altogether. Even Frank Gore has become an afterthought. That's where his passing success came from in the past. off their running game.

That they did.

But again, teams find ways to stop it. You have to be able to win your arm. You have to be able to win in the pocket. We've seen this proven time and time again.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He doesn't fit their system and the guy has completely fallen apart. His confidence is shot, his mechanics are shot, and his composure is shot. Not to mention, his ego and work ethic make it very hard to rebuild him. It's a bad situation.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I would just love to see Gus Malzahn bring his offense to the NFL and open the minds of the NFL hierarchy who believe that you have to have a pocket passer to win big in this league.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would just love to see Gus Malzahn bring his offense to the NFL and open the minds of the NFL hierarchy who believe that you have to have a pocket passer to win big in this league.

I'd be interested in seeing it too. Could work, could not. But Malzahn has had some major defensive issues in CFB.

Memphis Ram

Legend
That they did.

But again, teams find ways to stop it. You have to be able to win your arm. You have to be able to win in the pocket. We've seen this proven time and time again.

Teams find a way to beat pocket passers, too. If that weren't the case QBs wouldn't scramble out of it so often to make plays ala Russell Wilson.

What's actually been proven time and time again is that you can't make everyone into a pocket paser and forcing a kid to go away from his strengths in an attempt to make him one is a mistake.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Same thing happens to traditional pocket passers.

I'll concede that runners are equal to pocket guys when one actually wins a SB. Or puts 3 good games together.
When I say runners, I don't mean scramblers like Steve Young or Russell Wilson. I mean RGIII and Vick style QBs.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'd be interested in seeing it too. Could work, could not. But Malzahn has had some major defensive issues in CFB.

If Bradford is out, I really hope that Fisher does something bold like go back to the Auburn well and nab Malzahn's right hand man, Rhett Lashlee, and this time TRULY commit to building a top notch rushing attack/ play action pass offense with a QB that can beat you with his arm (play action passes) and his legs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Teams find a way to beat pocket passers, too. If that weren't the case QBs wouldn't scramble out of it so often to make plays ala Russell Wilson.

What's actually been proven time and time again is that you can't make everyone into a pocket paser and forcing a kid to go away from his strengths in an attempt to make him one is a mistake.

Russell Wilson scrambles because of his height.

What's been proven time and time again is that these kids who can't become pocket passers(or at minimum win from the pocket while retaining scrambling ability) eventually get figured out.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'll concede that runners are equal to pocket guys when one actually wins a SB. Or puts 3 good games together.
When I say runners, I don't mean scramblers like Steve Young or Russell Wilson. I mean RGIII and Vick style QBs.

It's still a team sport. Brady, Manning, Warner and the like didn't wn those Super Bowls without a lot of help. And Russell Wilson hasn't run for almost 700 yards this year SO FAR, merely by scrambling. And he wouldn't have his ring minus help, too.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Russell Wilson scrambles because of his height.

What's been proven time and time again is that these kids who can't become pocket passers(or at minimum win from the pocket while retaining scrambling ability) eventually get figured out.

So do pocket passers who can't move. Everyone gets figured out. The difference is the pocket passers aren't asked to change what they do best.

And whether or not Wilson scrambles because of his height or not doesn't seem to matter, IMO. The point remains that he makes most of his plays outside of the pocket traditon says he has to stay in to be successful.