The rookie WR's are exciting, but this is Robert Woods' Hollywood story

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
227364_a9b363d95f4d4a269b35d6fa30b0077b~mv2.webp

The Rams have been extremely busy this off-season signing multiple free agents and drafting multiple impact players. The one player that seems like he's primed to breakout is former Buffalo Bills wide receiver Robert Woods.

Woods is a former University of Southern California Trojan. He played at a coliseum in college and was a fan favorite among many of USC fans. Back when he was selected in the second round of the 2013 NFL draft, only USC were the only ones to play in the coliseum. Things have changed since then and now the Rams find themselves playing in the coliseum just where Woods showed out for the Trojan faithful.

The honeymoon in the coliseum won't last much longer as it's only until the Rams Inglewood stadium is completely built. However, it's going to be exciting and a memorable time for the Rams and their franchise's history. Woods actually had a chance to play at coliseum again last season with the Bills. He felt as though it was the last time he would ever step foot in the old home of his, but that wasn't the case.

Woods ended up signing on with the new era in Los Angeles Rams football and agreed to a five-year and 39 million dollar deal with the franchise. Now, with two years left on the Rams "lease" in the coliseum, Woods is ready to savor every second of his time back home. He is likely going to have the opportunity to play at least 14 games there and possibly more depending on what kind of team the Rams are through the 2017-2018 season and the 2018-2019 season. Obviously, it is an exciting moment for Woods who just signed a nice long term contract at the age of 25.

227364_f4c2dfea0ed646fc8ae463c32ff79235~mv2.webp

So what does Woods bring to the table? Well, for starters, he is a great route runner which is something the Rams have definitely lacked or at least seem to have lacked with the lack of separation play in and play out. Woods doesn't just run crisp routes, but he also has the best catch percentage on the Rams roster as of right now. Woods doesn't drop a ton of passes and that will be a breath of fresh air for Rams fans that were shaking their hand and rolling their eyes over the lack of help rookie quarterback Jared Goff would receive from his receivers. Woods' game doesn't end there, he shows off the vertical leaping ability to make the play and on top of that he excels as a ball-tracker, plus he is willing to take hits over the middle and make the tough catches to extend the drive.

Goff is in need of a spark or at least replacements for two receivers that (whether you like them or not) made up of almost half of the on-field offensive production last year for an offense that was a last place offense as well. Woods can now come in and be the number one receiver for Goff. I believe Woods is likely to be a perfect match for new head coach Sean McVay's offense. Goff may not have his 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds receiver in Kenny Britt any longer, but make no mistake Woods has been waiting for his chance to prove everyone he can be a number one receiver and he's definitely not a player to throw away and take lightly.

Why do I find myself so confident in Woods? Well, for starters, the negativity against him is his lack of production in Buffalo. Well, how is any receiver supposed to do anything when all their team does is run the football? The Bills ran the ball 492 times last year which was second in the entire league only behind the Dallas Cowboys. How about the offense though? Oh, no big deal, they just threw the lowest amount of attempts at 474 in the entire league. In 2015, the Bills finished second in the entire league again in carries and second to last in the league in pass attempts. The Bills threw more before Rex Ryan came to town (Woods had 699 yards at age 22), but still, Woods was not given enough of an opportunity to really show what he was made of even with the upside he showed early on.

While in Buffalo, it's safe to say Woods wasn't around any teachers of the offensive side of the ball like he will be with the Rams. Woods is set up for success. With a head coach that is debuting this season as the hottest offensive coordinator after Kyle Shanahan last year, and an offensive coordinator that was the quarterbacks coach under that same Shanahan. There is a good chance Woods is about to take his game to the next level.

Goff is going into his second year and the Rams have added a whole new group of toys to play with. The rookie wide receivers in Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds offer some excitement, but the fun factor is going to be watching how well Woods translates his game. We have seen players who were phased out or not utilized as much on their first team really turn it around with big performances on their next team. Emmanuel Sanders left the Pittsburgh Steelers in free agency at age 26 as a 740 yard max receiver (that is not to say he couldn't have had more) he then went to the Denver Broncos and has been a back-to-back-to-back 1,000 yard receiver ever since.

Woods was not in an offense that suited him and between the idea of coming back home where he played college football, coming to where he will be with coaches that understand offense, coming to a place that has a young quarterback that he can grow with and coming to a place that offered him long term security and a system to succeed in...It's easy to see Woods as the breakout star the Rams have been looking for. Sanders turned his 740 yard career high into legit pro bowl numbers that are well over 1,000 for the past three seasons, Woods has a career high of 699 yards receiving and is younger than Sanders was when he moved on.

Cooper Kupp is going to be a treat for Rams fans to watch starting alongside Woods, but make no mistake about it, Woods came out to make history and make a Hollywood story we won't forget.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wood's has been a little overlooked while we all "ooh and ahh" over the Draft toys Josh Reynolds and Cooper Kupp. WHAT IF Wood's is an actual grade "A" number-one WR? Imagine THREE guys who never drop that d@mn ball?
My God...

What date is week One?:rockon:

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Destiny... Straight up. Most people don't have the privilege to play @ home; nor play at their old college stadium. I believe Woods is going to be something special for this team. Whatever Woods did in Buffalo would be like what Isaac Bruce did while playing for the 9ers. Woods is going to be our next Isaac Bruce....I honestly have a very positive feeling about this.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Destiny... Straight up. Most people don't have the privilege to play @ home; nor play at their old college stadium. I believe Woods is going to be something special for this team. Whatever Woods did in Buffalo would be like what Isaac Bruce did while playing for the 9ers. Woods is going to be our next Isaac Bruce....I honestly have a very positive feeling about this.
For the first time in many years, it feels like we have turned a corner!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
For the first time in many years, it feels like we have turned a corner!

I think you are on the money. Our time is long past due. Its ridiculous it took Dick Vermeil 2/3 years to win us a superbowl. It took *blank* from 7-9, 9-7, to 4-12.....4 years?!.. I think with McVay this is a new beginning. Clean slate, down to the brass tacks of how this team will operate from here on out for decades!..

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Love the write up...but Woods isn't better than Britt. I hope he is a number 1....I hope he can stay healthy.

RAMBUSH

Starter
227364_a9b363d95f4d4a269b35d6fa30b0077b~mv2.webp

The Rams have been extremely busy this off-season signing multiple free agents and drafting multiple impact players. The one player that seems like he's primed to breakout is former Buffalo Bills wide receiver Robert Woods.

Woods is a former University of Southern California Trojan. He played at a coliseum in college and was a fan favorite among many of USC fans. Back when he was selected in the second round of the 2013 NFL draft, only USC were the only ones to play in the coliseum. Things have changed since then and now the Rams find themselves playing in the coliseum just where Woods showed out for the Trojan faithful.

The honeymoon in the coliseum won't last much longer as it's only until the Rams Inglewood stadium is completely built. However, it's going to be exciting and a memorable time for the Rams and their franchise's history. Woods actually had a chance to play at coliseum again last season with the Bills. He felt as though it was the last time he would ever step foot in the old home of his, but that wasn't the case.

Woods ended up signing on with the new era in Los Angeles Rams football and agreed to a five-year and 39 million dollar deal with the franchise. Now, with two years left on the Rams "lease" in the coliseum, Woods is ready to savor every second of his time back home. He is likely going to have the opportunity to play at least 14 games there and possibly more depending on what kind of team the Rams are through the 2017-2018 season and the 2018-2019 season. Obviously, it is an exciting moment for Woods who just signed a nice long term contract at the age of 25.

227364_f4c2dfea0ed646fc8ae463c32ff79235~mv2.webp

So what does Woods bring to the table? Well, for starters, he is a great route runner which is something the Rams have definitely lacked or at least seem to have lacked with the lack of separation play in and play out. Woods doesn't just run crisp routes, but he also has the best catch percentage on the Rams roster as of right now. Woods doesn't drop a ton of passes and that will be a breath of fresh air for Rams fans that were shaking their hand and rolling their eyes over the lack of help rookie quarterback Jared Goff would receive from his receivers. Woods' game doesn't end there, he shows off the vertical leaping ability to make the play and on top of that he excels as a ball-tracker, plus he is willing to take hits over the middle and make the tough catches to extend the drive.

Goff is in need of a spark or at least replacements for two receivers that (whether you like them or not) made up of almost half of the on-field offensive production last year for an offense that was a last place offense as well. Woods can now come in and be the number one receiver for Goff. I believe Woods is likely to be a perfect match for new head coach Sean McVay's offense. Goff may not have his 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds receiver in Kenny Britt any longer, but make no mistake Woods has been waiting for his chance to prove everyone he can be a number one receiver and he's definitely not a player to throw away and take lightly.

Why do I find myself so confident in Woods? Well, for starters, the negativity against him is his lack of production in Buffalo. Well, how is any receiver supposed to do anything when all their team does is run the football? The Bills ran the ball 492 times last year which was second in the entire league only behind the Dallas Cowboys. How about the offense though? Oh, no big deal, they just threw the lowest amount of attempts at 474 in the entire league. In 2015, the Bills finished second in the entire league again in carries and second to last in the league in pass attempts. The Bills threw more before Rex Ryan came to town (Woods had 699 yards at age 22), but still, Woods was not given enough of an opportunity to really show what he was made of even with the upside he showed early on.

While in Buffalo, it's safe to say Woods wasn't around any teachers of the offensive side of the ball like he will be with the Rams. Woods is set up for success. With a head coach that is debuting this season as the hottest offensive coordinator after Kyle Shanahan last year, and an offensive coordinator that was the quarterbacks coach under that same Shanahan. There is a good chance Woods is about to take his game to the next level.

Goff is going into his second year and the Rams have added a whole new group of toys to play with. The rookie wide receivers in Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds offer some excitement, but the fun factor is going to be watching how well Woods translates his game. We have seen players who were phased out or not utilized as much on their first team really turn it around with big performances on their next team. Emmanuel Sanders left the Pittsburgh Steelers in free agency at age 26 as a 740 yard max receiver (that is not to say he couldn't have had more) he then went to the Denver Broncos and has been a back-to-back-to-back 1,000 yard receiver ever since.

Woods was not in an offense that suited him and between the idea of coming back home where he played college football, coming to where he will be with coaches that understand offense, coming to a place that has a young quarterback that he can grow with and coming to a place that offered him long term security and a system to succeed in...It's easy to see Woods as the breakout star the Rams have been looking for. Sanders turned his 740 yard career high into legit pro bowl numbers that are well over 1,000 for the past three seasons, Woods has a career high of 699 yards receiving and is younger than Sanders was when he moved on.

Cooper Kupp is going to be a treat for Rams fans to watch starting alongside Woods, but make no mistake about it, Woods came out to make history and make a Hollywood story we won't forget.
Damn, I'm convinced . 13-3 .... home field throughout the playoffs. What a year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Love the write up...but Woods isn't better than Britt. I hope he is a number 1....I hope he can stay healthy.

I'm not going to believe that . Kenny Britt
Had an excellent year last season. Yes Kenny deserves his accolades.
I just don't like what Britt brought day in & day out. He was not very consistent & when the games were on the line he would disappear .I look forward to Woods as a Ram for a few years. He is a team player , not a me first guy.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I just don't like what Britt brought day in & day out. He was not very consistent & when the games were on the line he would disappear .I look forward to Woods as a Ram for a few years. He is a team player , not a me first guy.

36655587.jpg

BeefJurky

Rookie
We are all sleeping on Woods big time. He will be our WR1 because he is our most complete wide receiver, but beyond that he is an elite blocker and he isn't known for clumsy foolish drops.

He was a 5 star recruit in college and projected in the first round. He fell to round 2 for a dropoff senior season (due to weaker QB play and overall opportunities).
Also, he has been playing in cold ass Buffalo, which is also the 32nd ranked passing team in the league the past 2 years.

I expect him to make a statement on his ability this year... big time.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Says whom?...

Long term....
It's just a Rams fans thing to do. Criticize the hell out of somebody their time as a Ram then the guy leaves and we suddenly put him on a pedestal forgetting how mediocre he was for us.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
It's just a Rams fans thing to do. Criticize the hell out of somebody their time as a Ram then the guy leaves and we suddenly put him on a pedestal forgetting how mediocre he was for us.

Mediocrity is non existent from here on out. This is a new era.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Says whom?...

I just don't like what Britt brought day in & day out.

Mediocrity
Robert Woods career stats
http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=26664
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WoodRo02.htm
http://www.nfl.com/player/robertwoods/2540169/careerstats
Kenny Britt's career stats
http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12556/kenny-britt
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BritKe00.htm
http://www.nfl.com/player/kennybritt/71217/careerstats

You can have a problem with Britt's attitude, work ethic, maturity, whatever, the guy came to play for us. He played well the last TWO years for us.
I always thought Britt was our best receiver. It's almost like Rams fans forget what a player brought to the team, and any replacement, no matter how average, is an immediate upgrade. Woods isn't as good as Britt, even though both struggled with terrible offensive schemes and QB play the last 4 years. I'd say Woods has had better QB play. Woods numbers are comparable to Quick's....whom many here constantly state wasn't any good.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Britt did well. He did not play to his ability all the time. Britt, Quick, Cook all had that lazy work ethic... it's a feeling from the outside because I wasn't privy to the day to day, so it is total opinion. But sideline, Hard Knocks, and in Game actions gave me this opinion. There are players that work hard and play hard, like Jerry Rice. There are player that are gifted and just don't play to their potential, and I feel Britt is one of those.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
KB was a talented S.O.B., no doubt. But he also was a bit lackadaisical in his effort at times. Woods is by definition, a true professional in how he conducts himself at practice and in games. The story coming out about Britt refusing to get together with Goff for extra work shows lack of leadership as well. Now go and look at Woods' first interview after signing...all he talked about was getting together with JG and get the thing rolling. And RW also has quite a bit of talent himself. He may not be the 6'3" - 220 guy, but he has some pretty decent skills. His routes and hands are way better than what we have had on this team.

I'm a big believer in Woods. He is going to be even bigger a compliment in the WR's room as a leader for these young guys than Britt.
All IMHO, but that is my opinion.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Robert Woods career stats
http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=26664
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WoodRo02.htm
http://www.nfl.com/player/robertwoods/2540169/careerstats
Kenny Britt's career stats
http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12556/kenny-britt
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BritKe00.htm
http://www.nfl.com/player/kennybritt/71217/careerstats

You can have a problem with Britt's attitude, work ethic, maturity, whatever, the guy came to play for us. He played well the last TWO years for us.
I always thought Britt was our best receiver. It's almost like Rams fans forget what a player brought to the team, and any replacement, no matter how average, is an immediate upgrade. Woods isn't as good as Britt, even though both struggled with terrible offensive schemes and QB play the last 4 years. I'd say Woods has had better QB play. Woods numbers are comparable to Quick's....whom many here constantly state wasn't any good.

Talk about drops,penalties, & WR around them. Woods had a better catch radius.
--McVay & The Rams could have brought back Kenny Britt , but Woods is the better fit.

Britt got behind CB's because there were no respect for QB play . I enjoyed watching Kenny Britt , but dumb & dumber were never going to help The Rams get to the playoffs.
-- Numbers are numbers so yes your right .

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How do you know? Woods has never been in a pass oriented offense since USC, and Kenny Britt was inconsistent. He COULD take over a game, but rarely did.