The Rams should trade WR Sammy Watkins for Lions CB Darius Slay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thoughts?

• Total voters

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gaines is gojgo to want to get paid . Probably as much as johnson . And he actually played a hell of a lot better than Tru this year .

Gaines doesn't fit our scheme, and he won't get paid anything close to what Trumaine gets paid.

I heard Gaines is on the market. Would rather grab him back for a smaller price and keep Watkins.

We traded Gaines because he doesn't fit Wade's scheme. He's not coming back. I expect us to address the CB position this off-season, but it'll be with CBs who are better fits for the defense we run now. If Gaines is smart, he returns to Buffalo. McDermott's scheme fits E.J.'s skill-set like a glove.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The Rams would have to sign him before they could trade him. If he signs a team friendly deal no reason to trade him.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Gaines doesn't fit our scheme, and he won't get paid anything close to what Trumaine gets paid.

We traded Gaines because he doesn't fit Wade's scheme. He's not coming back. I expect us to address the CB position this off-season, but it'll be with CBs who are better fits for the defense we run now. If Gaines is smart, he returns to Buffalo. McDermott's scheme fits E.J.'s skill-set like a glove.

Well I didn't say anything about him fitting our scheme or not. I said he played better than Tru this season. A lot better . He's going to get paid. Whether it's anywhere near what Tru gets paid is only due to the fact that the Rams are a high profile team and the Bill's are not .

jap

Legend
Well I didn't say anything about him fitting our scheme or not. I said he played better than Tru this season. A lot better . He's going to get paid. Whether it's anywhere near what Tru gets paid is only due to the fact that the Rams are a high profile team and the Bill's are not .

Wade is going to go after the type of CBs he wants. No matter how well Gaines played for Buffalo, he was not doing well under Wade's system---hence, the trade.

Tru was getting paid top dollar for the last two years because he took full advantage of the Horns' need for a solid CB while their FA/draft focus was on other positions. It had nothing to do with the Rams being or not being "a high profile team". They were certainly not high profile in 2016, and their emergence in 2017 was due to Sean & Wade's influence.

The brunt of last year's FA/draft acquisitions were designed to bolster Sean's offensive schemes. This year, I strongly suspect Wade will have more leeway to fortify his defensive arsenal with the types of players he prefers.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I thank @jakebogen95 because this is the off season and all there is left to do until free agency starts is pontificate, but I will try to keep things simple as others like @jrry32 and many have posted going into fine detial, IMHO, the Rams have an offensive coach in Sean McVay and the Lions just hired a defensive coach in Matt Patricia.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why his defense just got torched in the Super Bowl, it was because of their secondary and lack of pressure. Patricia will not give up a quality CB and as to Watkins, I truly believe he is the straw that stirs the drink and with an off season (OTA & Training Camp) to work with Goff, will be even that much better to Slay the defense.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Subjective if he played better or not but again it goes back to scheme. Would TruJo have looked good in their scheme? Would Gaines have been better in Wades defense where he doesn't play that well in the style wanted? Gaines skill set just isn't the type that Wade wants, he's a good corner just might not be as good for us. Which is why we used him in a trade.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry Jake, not one if your best ideas.
Well I got to have 1 idea that goes sideways out of every 99 I get right...Oh well. Thanks for reading. I still believe in it other wise I would not have written it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What I would add to this discussion & your @jakebogen95 suggested trade is ....there seems to some trending in the NFL going into the FA'cy here in less than a month where many NFL teams are leaning or considering the movement or releasing of starting high cost veteran corners at this time. In fact its already begun....

Some examples is the rumors or some that have already been released are corners like Aqib Talib, Richard Sherman, Malcolm Butler, Sean Smith, Darrelle Revis, David Amerson, T.J. Carrie to join our own Trumaine Johnson in joining up with new teams in 2018.

The NE sports writers already have Talib wearing a NE Pats uni:palm:

Last edited:

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
What I would add to this discussion & your @jakebogen95 suggested trade is ....there seems to some trending in the NFL going into the FA'cy here in less than a month where many NFL teams are leaning or considering the movement or releasing of starting high cost veteran corners at this time. If fact its already begun....

Some examples is the rumors or some that have already been released are corners like Aqib Talib, Richard Sherman, Malcolm Butler, Sean Smith, Darrelle Revis, David Amerson, T.J. Carrie to join our own Trumaine Johnson in joining up with new teams in 2018.
Well, and I've seen rumors that Slay was potentially going to be traded for DL help thats why this whole thing was brought up.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well, and I've seen rumors that Slay was potentially going to be traded for DL help thats why this whole thing was brought up.
Hey I would make your suggested trade in a second if I could so that should tell you what I think of the corner Slay I have :love: his play since he came into the NFL plus I am not happy with a luke warm play toy receiver with only one fully working foot like Sammy Watkins getting a large chunk of future Ram salary cap $$$....most know that.:huh:

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Hey I would make your suggested trade in a second if I could so that should tell you what I think of the corner Slay I have :love: his play since he came into the NFL plus I am not happy with a luke warm play toy receiver with only one fully working foot like Sammy Watkins getting a large chunk of future Ram salary cap $$$....most know that.:huh:
Exactly. You are going to end up paying Sammy as much as DeAndre Hopkins which is kind of sad cause one is in the stratosphere the other was the fourth leading receiver for the best offense in the league...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly. You are going to end up paying Sammy as much as DeAndre Hopkins which is kind of sad cause one is in the stratosphere the other was the fourth leading receiver for the best offense in the league...

The question is that with a full off season, how good can Sammy be? How connected can Goff and Watkins become during this time away from the spotlight of game day?

That's the variable that can make the above comparison invalid,which is ignored by looking at stats. Snead and McVay have to determine that to their best ability/guess and act accordingly

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
The question is that with a full off season, how good can Sammy be? How connected can Goff and Watkins become during this time away from the spotlight of game day?

That's the variable that can make the above comparison invalid,which is ignored by looking at stats. Snead and McVay have to determine that to their best ability/guess and act accordingly
The last time we paid a WR double digits because of the potential of what he could be was Tavon Austin and he is leaving this season due to being a cap casualty

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Well I got to have 1 idea that goes sideways out of every 99 I get right...Oh well. Thanks for reading. I still believe in it other wise I would not have written it.
Appreciate the insight. You’re a fun listen. Can’t get em all right ;)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The last time we paid a WR double digits because of the potential of what he could be was Tavon Austin and he is leaving this season due to being a cap casualty
You really are not comparing a real WR like Watkins, with a gadget guy like Austin, are you?

Last edited: