The Rams Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
In conclusion I agree with you here (as usual), if this defense could get better pass rush from our OSLB'ers this Wade D would be one of the best in the NFL in 2017.

I'm with you guys there, in that right now rush LB is our biggest need.

That said, if they lose Tru & NRC in FA, which right now looks possible, CB will be every bit as big a need as edge OLB. This defense not only has a lot of key decisions to be made, but they also are going to need pieces badly this offseason.

I've been expecting them to lock down NRC before the end of the season due to that. It limits the damage considerably, he isn't going to be expecting insane money, and from there drafting one CB makes things look much better than if both those guys depart. Hopefully that happens, and either way defensive needs seem to highlight next year's draft for us.

LT is a position I'd hold off on, putting my trust in Big Whit. Maybe snap up a project type midrounds for our OL coach, but other than that it's gonna be time to elevate this defense with more quality young pieces.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
That's really misleading. I mean REALLY misleading.
If we had even a semblance of an offense, that defense would have been lethal.
Also, the Rams defense broke the teens in points allowed 5 times the previous 25 years.
And two of those times was with the GSOT.

While I completely agree with this, I’d like to expand on it.

There were so many times that the defense was demoralized by the inept offense, they would naturally relax a bit because it wouldn’t change the inevitable.

But here’s where I depart from this excuse. Williams and Haslett are two guys (not unlike the Ryan brothers) who gamble way too often and teach fundamentals too little. They are all about aggression and effort which is great but only part of the equation because even if you’re playing with your hair on fire...if you’re out of position because the coach is losing the chess match against the O Coordinator, it’s a wasted effort. As often as they got home on blitzes, they also got gashed when the blitz didn’t get home. I predicted correctly that Wade’s greatest contribution would be that he would be outschemed far less often than Williams.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Is there any chance we can lure Demarcus Ware out of retirement for a playoff run? :thinking:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We obviously need a NT and CB. I think we franchise Joyner, worst case scenario.
I'd re-sign TruJo for $12 mil per year if he'll take that, but load it up with incentives.

The ideal situation for me is keeping the secondary intact and cutting Quinn. Pick up a NT is free agency and/or later in the draft. I like our depth at DE with Brockers, Donald, Westbrook and Smart.

What I'm wondering about...Ogletree has been so hit and miss. Barron has looked better IMO, and maybe with a better NT he looks better..

But I'm wondering if we could convert Ogletree to OLB in this scheme. He seems to be a good blitzer and would give us some awesome options on defense if he can develop as a pass rusher.

In that case I draft a thumper at MLB.

Focus would be on MLB, NT, T, C in the draft if it fell that way.

VilleDeal

UDFA
It's times like these I'm so glad internet fans remain on the internet. The team would have a new roster after every loss.

Stay the course.

stay-the-course.jpg
Amen