The Rams Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I'm in total agreement. We should look to keep NRC this off-season. I would only keep Tru if he comes at a discount. Malcolm Butler is a CB I'd be very interested in for this scheme. As for Quinn, if he doesn't show something down the stretch, I'm moving on after the year. He looks like a shell of his former self. One guy who intrigues me as a reclamation project is Aaron Lynch, but we'd need something more proven if we're replacing Quinn.(but I'd still be interested in Lynch as depth and competition)

I was really hoping we'd have an opportunity to draft a LT in the first round (like Baby Zeus), but we may need to go pass rusher with that pick. I think Ebukam has a future as our SOLB, but he's such a raw kid that it's hard to see what his ultimate upside is as a pass rusher. I'm disappointed that Shaq Barrett is only a RFA. He'd have been a nice guy to scoop up if he was a UFA.

Love this corner class, could be one of the deeper positions in the draft, so I wouldn't mind spending early capital there. Isaiah Oliver out of Colorado and Denzel Ward are two guys I really like at this point. Both fit well in a heavy man scheme.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Love this corner class, could be one of the deeper positions in the draft, so I wouldn't mind spending early capital there. Isaiah Oliver out of Colorado and Denzel Ward are two guys I really like at this point. Both fit well in a heavy man scheme.
Free Agency will hit hard in our secondary in March & trying to sign more than one or two will be very hard....best to go with a proven already traveled road....Snead has an excellent track record in finding early starters from his rookie DB class. If Snead is able to find a few JJ's, Trumaine's, Joyner's & McDonalds's with the first 3 top selections & even a late day selection like EJ Gaines.....we will be is outstanding shape in our secondary in 2018.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Our players are not suited for a 3 - 4 scheme. We have an all-star pass rushing squad, and line backers that were previously strong safeties. We need to go back to our ball hawking 4 - 3, because it is what best suits the talent that we have acquired. What do you guys think?
We need a few more pieces better suited to Wade's D, for sure....but there isn't enough pass rush here no matter what defensive scheme we're running.

Hayes was a bigger loss than some seem to think. Both vs the run and pass. That was much more about the locker room and a regime change then anything else so i get it. He was a Fisher guy.
Quinn could be less effective now then C.Long was when he left. Barwin isn't scaring any QB's. We need to get better on the outside. Donald is really the only pass rushing threat we've got mano e mano. Despite our CB situation i think a dynamic OLB is priority #1.

Then there's the issue at NT. Well documented here. Donald needs more elbow room. Brockers is playing well but it's not surprising our run D has taken a hit at the point of attack. We're too small in the middle of the front seven.

I look for a defensive-heavy draft and free agency in 2018.

Ram65

Legend
If Quinn and Barwin could pass rush the defense would be enough to get to the playoffs. The corners aren't great in the scheme but, serviceable if healthy. A solid NT is needed.

Is it to late to go back to a 4-3 defense?

The Rams need a overhaul on defense in the off season.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We need a few more pieces better suited to Wade's D, for sure....but there isn't enough pass rush here no matter what defensive scheme we're running.

Hayes was a bigger loss than some seem to think. Both vs the run and pass. That was much more about the locker room and a regime change then anything else so i get it. He was a Fisher guy.
Quinn could be less effective now then C.Long was when he left. Barwin isn't scaring any QB's. We need to get better on the outside. Donald is really the only pass rushing threat we've got mano e mano. Despite our CB situation i think a dynamic OLB is priority #1.

Then there's the issue at NT. Well documented here. Donald needs more elbow room. Brockers is playing well but it's not surprising our run D has taken a hit at the point of attack. We're too small in the middle of the front seven.

I have thought this too. Will Hayes was a stud...Do you think that because Fisher brought him in, that he wouldn't have played hard for Wade or Sean?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I have thought this too. Will Hayes was a stud...Do you think that because Fisher brought him in, that he wouldn't have played hard for Wade or Sean?
I think he would have had a more difficult time buying into a Fisher-less locker room...and as a result, "me not we."

Hayes held sway with alot of guys who are still on this team IMO.

MachS

Hall of Fame
We have an all-star pass rushing squad

We have an all world player on the interior that can rush the passer, but our edge rushers are old and washed up. I'd hardly call that an all-star pass rushing squad.

IMO we need an elite edge rusher with pick 1.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have an all world player on the interior that can rush the passer, but our edge rushers are old and washed up. I'd hardly call that an all-star pass rushing squad.

IMO we need an elite edge rusher with pick 1.
Pick your poison: washed up edge rushers or a suddenly washed up LT. I fear that we will neglect getting a replacement for Whit until it's too late and he is gone, losing his veteran influence for training the new guy...LT is the most important position after QB and it's easy to forget with his outstanding play, Whit could be gone in an instant (career ending injury or falling off a cliff physically.) OT is as high a priority that the Rams have in the 2018 draft, imho.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
My main takeaway from the Vikings game was their OL dominated our D line. We should've been able to get more push/pen from the interior, and they also moved us out of the way with ease to spring their backs. That was disheartening, because I don't know what the answer would be.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Pick your poison: washed up edge rushers or a suddenly washed up LT. I fear that we will neglect getting a replacement for Whit until it's too late and he is gone, losing his veteran influence for training the new guy...LT is the most important position after QB and it's easy to forget with his outstanding play, Whit could be gone in an instant (career ending injury or falling off a cliff physically.) OT is as high a priority that the Rams have in the 2018 draft, imho.

So get one of each. Andrew Whitworth was a second rounder himself.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Our defense the last five years under Jeff Fisher:

2012: 348 points against (14th)
2013: 364 points against (13th)
2014: 354 points against (16th)
2015: 330 points against (13th)
2016: 394 points against (23rd)

Now do we need to list Wade's performances in every single stop in his career? I hope not.

This year's defense under Wade Phillips through 10 games:

2017: 186 (5th)

Quit romanticizing our old defense and acting like Fish was anything near elite as a defensive mind. Our defense was mediocre as F.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Our defense the last five years under Jeff Fisher:

2012: 348 points against (14th)
2013: 364 points against (13th)
2014: 354 points against (16th)
2015: 330 points against (13th)
2016: 394 points against (23rd)

Now do we need to list Wade's performances in every single stop in his career? I hope not.

This year's defense under Wade Phillips through 10 games:

2017: 186 (5th)

Quit romanticizing our old defense and acting like Fish was anything near elite as a defensive mind. Our defense was mediocre as F.
That's really misleading. I mean REALLY misleading.
If we had even a semblance of an offense, that defense would have been lethal.
Also, the Rams defense broke the teens in points allowed 5 times the previous 25 years.
And two of those times was with the GSOT.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Also, the Rams defense broke the teens in points allowed 5 times the previous 25 years.

Jeff Fisher defenses were like flippin a coin. Roughly 50% of the time you'll get a shutdown unit, the other 50% you get a disinterested unit that looked like they were hungover. Blaming it on the offense during those years is something we all discussed a great deal, but I never subscribed to that view and still don't. They far too often could not get themselves off the field.

When Wade was hired the first thing he said was that he wanted to improve the points allowed, bring that down. He knew he was getting a unit that had some real nice pieces, but that had not performed to the level they should. And they are now.

So in the context of the discussion I think it is perfectly appropriate to compare the scoring defenses of five previous seasons to the one we see this year and note the difference. Pining for the units of old is an exercise in romanticizing their contributions IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

You must have had a little time on your hands since most of your posts are very brief...So I ponder'd what you posted here a bit longer...........

This past 2017 winter the Rams changed its entire defensive scheme to go with it very old well seasoned DC. In FA'cy Snead signed only three UFA's to assist this major change. Veteran Edge Rusher/OSLB Conner Barwin & CB Kayvon Webster who has a history with Wade & Veteran NT Tyrunn Walker who played with DL coach with the Saints. Both Barwin & Walker had been playing in a 43 D for the last few seasons on top of that. Later in the May Snead/McVay/Wade 1st draft utilized only two 3rd day draft selections (4th b & 7th ) to acquire two specific 34 "D" players ER/OLB'ers. Those were the only specific moves that were made to help bring about this new 34 "D".

Some 34 changes came about naturally too. Our starting outside corner since his rookie season EJ Gaines was not effective in Wade's D during TC & pre- season was traded off. Our young recent drafted starting safety in the 2015/2016 seasons Mo Alexander proved unable to play effective in Wade's 34 D & was released after 4 gms, the next game Wade started safeties Cody Davis & rookie JJ III. In mentioning Cody Davis it would not surprise me if Wade does actively campaign to sign Cody back in FA'cy.

Some other elements that were surprising were....NT Brockers transformed into a better play making DE. Brockers is leading all of the front five in tackles & is having his best season as a pro. Donald is now hitting his grove & we saw last Sunday where he & Quinn were mixing it up together to molest what was a very solid Saints left side OL. DL Fox has improved into a good rusher back up @ both Brockers & Donald's DL posts. Top reserve OLB ex 43 DE Longacre is also having a outstanding season tied with Barwin with 4 sacks. Both Ogletree & Barron are on course to have well over a 100 tackles in the new role as ISLB'er in the 34 "D". Barron has been playing with a damaged hand & a broken thumb for 5 weeks now!:bow:

In conclusion I agree with you here (as usual), if this defense could get better pass rush from our OSLB'ers this Wade D would be one of the best in the NFL in 2017. The upcoming draft late in the first rd like Arden Key, LSU's All-American junior edge rusher is sure to be there due to his injury history. But the best value @ ER looks to be in the 3rd rd area where an ER like Harold Landry could be still on the boards. I would like to draft a few ER's to take the heat off our new rebuilt secondary.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Not to mention all the pic sixes last year. Counts against the D.