The Rams Are Now In The Balances...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Name someone that would for sure do better than Fisher.
I hear that Linehan guy is doing pretty well with the offense in Dallas.
Maybe we could get him?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
So I saw your reply to 209RamsFan and wanted to ask you something. Firstly, I want to make it clear that I did not say if we lose this Monday night, fire Fisher and Snead. That obviously would be way to drastic. But I will pose this next question to you and others.

If at the end of this season, the Rams end up say ... 4-12 ... would you consider firing Fisher as an option?

I know you didn't ask me, but I'd like to reply, record while it matters isn't all there is ,but if he was 4-12,that would be 18-29-1 overall,nearly twice as many wins as his predecessor while dismantling the roster and the youngest team in the league every year,not to mention being without his "franchise QB " over half those games .
If Sam Bradford playing in the 25 games he'll have missed by then can't have won you 6 of those games and had the record over .500,then Spags shouldn't have drafted him.
The rest of the story is this ,how they played to get to that record, our last two opponents who but for some IMO youthful mistakes we should have won were dominant yesterday, I know fans don't like "moral victories" but people who hire and fire coaches need to be more dispassionate about decisions ,or you end up like the Raiders with flavor of the month coaching (JMO Al Davis was desperate to see his team win once more before he died and was whipsawing it terribly ,something I don't want here).
I personally would not be surprised to see this team go 6-10 and still be a better team than we were last year,we've been blown out once ,and FWIW that was to a full strength Viking team that now is a shadow of what it was when we played them beside the flux we had at QB in that game .

Last , Fisher is on a 5 year contract , it was planned all along for him to have 4 years to produce not the 3 that has become the standard of impatience because some people have done it. we aren't just trying to win now we are trying to establish sustained winning,IMO that's Stans goal and he's got the guy he thinks can do it, he's a man who knows the long game.
I can't say what the end of the season would bring for me, because I don't know how that record would be arrived at ,three narrow wins and 9 miserable blowouts might do it, a complete let down,but IMO that ain't happening, we've got too many solid veterans i.e. the way Cook got set straight fast .
I think we play well tonight ,wish I was going.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Honestly, and I know some are going to vociferously disagree, but yes, while I wouldn't be calling for his head, I'd consider firing Fisher if we go 4-12 and maybe even a bit higher.

The way I see it, the first year of a coach's tenure, he's still carrying momentum and talent over from the previous regime. After that, we see what the coach himself can do.

We saw this with the Rams going 8-8 (4-7 in the last 11 games) during Scott Linehan's first season, then Linehan going 5-27 for the rest of his tenure with the team.

Spags took over, went 1-15 on the momentum from Linehan, then 7-9 in that second season, then went 2-14. While I'm not going to claim Spags (and Devaney) did everything right, to me it seems obvious that the horrific injury situation was far and away the cause of the disappointing record that year.

Fisher comes in and goes 7-8-1 (which would fit both the theories of a coach's first year taking momentum from the previous regime and injuries being mainly responsible for 2011), then 7-9 again. Now, with a couple of big injuries, we're on track for 4-12, and given that the problems seem to be from other positions than the people who got injured, it'd be hard to believe we'd do better than 7-9 this year. People we were relying on to play well aren't, and so far, Williams has been a lot more hype than substance.

I don't think Fisher WOULD be fired... but he would have to be considered on the hot seat next year to finally prove he can get the team over the 7-9 hump.

RamWoodie

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure what 'in the balances' means......but there is no question I'd like to see the Rams improve.

Right now, I would settle for mediocrity - because so far the Rams are a bad team.
They'd have to improve to be mediocre. Now, what I mean by that is that the Rams are finding ways to beat themselves.
That's what bad teams do. They have the talent to become mediocre then good - even this year. We'll see if they improve.
I think they can and hope they will. Time will tell.
I don't see the logic of calling the Rams a "bad team" because that hasn't been the case. Bad teams play bad. By all rights, from the Dallas game the Rams should be 2-2...in my mind officiating cost them that game.

Bad teams play bad...and the only game I see that was bad, is the Vikings game, that Rams really were bad. Every game after that first loss, the Rams had opportunities to win...and what really showed in those losses is their youth. Therefore you and I are on different viewpoints.

RamWoodie

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure what 'in the balances' means......but there is no question I'd like to see the Rams improve.

Right now, I would settle for mediocrity - because so far the Rams are a bad team.
They'd have to improve to be mediocre. Now, what I mean by that is that the Rams are finding ways to beat themselves.
That's what bad teams do. They have the talent to become mediocre then good - even this year. We'll see if they improve.
I think they can and hope they will. Time will tell.
I don't see the logic of calling the Rams a "bad team" because that hasn't been the case. Bad teams play bad. By all rights, from the Dallas game the Rams should be 2-2...in my mind officiating cost them that game.

Bad teams play bad...and the only game I see that was bad, is the Vikings game, that Rams really were bad. Every game after that first loss, the Rams had opportunities to win...and what really showed in those losses is their youth. Therefore you and I are on different viewpoints there's bad, and there'