The playoffs never change. The NFL is no parody.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I always hear about how the NFL is a parody but is it really? I can pretty much predict who's going to be in the playoffs every year and whos gunna suck. It's just getting boring every year watching the god damn Patriots get the #1 seed and basically get in the AFC championship game. How is it possible that the same teams seem to get bad QB play and a mountain of injuries year after year? The Rams, Redskins, Raiders, Bills, Browns, Jets, Jaguars, Titans and Bucs can be pretty much be counted on to round out the top ten of the draft each season. I'm so tired of the refs too. I'm done getting excited now. Of course I'll cheer my ass off each game forever. But until I see some results I'm not going to get my hopes up. It's been too long since the playoffs. And it's frustrating to see the same teams in the playoffs while we struggle to build a fucking Oline for 10 years.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
You could have said the Lions are always in the top 10 a few years back. Same with the Bengals. It's cyclical, but some organizations are good at figuring out how to sustain success.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Parity = the state or condition of being equal, especially regarding status or pay.

Parody = an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect.

And the term you're looking for is a Parity League.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
You could have said the Lions are always in the top 10 a few years back. Same with the Bengals. It's cyclical, but some organizations are good at figuring out how to sustain success.
Where as we're bloody terrific at sustained head scratching

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Oh, it's a parody all right. And will be as long as Goodell is in charge...

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Parity = the state or condition of being equal, especially regarding status or pay.

Parody = an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect.

Blah blah blah.

Rams0307

I agree 100%. Especially in the AFC it seems like it's always the Pats, Denver, Baltimore, Indy, and the Steelers. These teams benefit greatly from having so many horrendous teams in their conference. The Jags, Titans, Bills, Raiders, Dolphins, and Browns all tend to be terrible. Almost 40% of the conference is dreadful.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
The reason is because the winning teams have a system in place that works. It is why the patriots, steelers, packers, broncos etc. are almost always in the playoffs. It is hard to do but it is much easier if you have a franchise QB in place and those are hard to get.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
You could say they're a... parody of parity

I'll see myself out

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Woe is us.
Here's our tree
latest

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

yep I read the title and was like wtf? No offense Legatron..

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
The way the NFL is set up in terms of trying to achieve parity is good in my view. Especially bearing in mind how success in football (soccer) over here is basically down to how much money a team's owner has and very few other factors play a part.

Some things can't be controlled though. Strength of schedule for example is based on the previous season's record. Well a team can go from worst to first making that redundant but how else can it be done?

There are all sorts of things put in place to help a team like the Rams or the Raiders to stop sucking but the league can't achieve parity in relation to the owners. The Raiders are severely hamstrung by the Davis' and we were in the same boat prior to Kroenke became majority owner.

All the teams you mention have put plans in place for sustainable success. Of course it helps if you have Brady behind centre for as long as the Pats have (as well as other extra-curricular activities). It might be boring but I'm not sure what more the league could do as long as you've got mental owners hanging around.