The Official Black Monday Thread: Coaches and GM's Hired and Fired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
It's a shame. That guy was a total dope.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I always felt that it was a BS hire. The fans were pissed about Harblaugh and so the Niners figured that if they give them a year of Tomsula the fans will get over losing Jim quick and just be glad to get rid of Tomsula. I bet it worked. I wonder if they push hard for Chip Kelly. If I were Kelly though I would be looking at one team and that is it. Otherwise head back to college.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'd like to laugh at them, but we've our own mustachioed bumbler to deal with.

Maybe I'll laugh at them anyway and pretend like we're not pretty much in the same coaching spot.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/03/49ers-make-it-official-fire-coach-jim-tomsula/

49ers make it official, fire coach Jim Tomsula
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 3, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwmwmzniymq4njjhmtlkmmrhnge4y2u0mjixnzllywrk1-e1445294887703.jpeg
AP

The 49ers made the expected news official Sunday night, firing coach Jim Tomsula.

Jimmy has been a valuable member of the 49ers organization for the last nine years,” owner Jed York said in a statement released by the team. “We all know he is a man of high character, and his contributions on the field and in our community have always been greatly appreciated. This entire organization is proud and grateful to have worked so closely alongside Jimmy. We all wish him and his family great success in the future.”

They just wish it for him someplace else.

As noted here earlier today, that means General Manager Trent Baalke is still in place, and will be able to take another shot at finding a coach to rebuild there, after a collapse that transcended losses on the field.

After all the offseason retirements and defections and the midseason benching of quarterback Colin Kaepernick, the 49ers looked lost as an organization.

Dammit!!

Dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit!!!!

Dammit dammit dammit!!

Damn!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000613876/article/coach-gm-tracker-whos-fired-whos-on-hot-seat

Twenty teams start the offseason next week, but the coaching changes have already started. The Eagles' firing of Chip Kelly kickstarted the coaching carousel season last week, and more big moves are expected to follow. Be sure to check back here for the latest news on head coaches on the hot seat.

Open jobs

Cleveland Browns:
The Browns fired coach Mike Pettine after the team's Week 17 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Pettine was 10-22 as Cleveland's coach. Ray Farmer, the embattled general manager, was also relieved of his duties after meeting with the team's ownership before Sunday's loss.

The Browns' first three interviews this week will be with Bears offensive coordinator Adam Gase on Wednesday, Jaguars offensive line coach Doug Marrone and Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported. The Browns are also interested in interviewing Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, according to NFL Media's Rand Getlin.

San Francisco 49ers: The 49ers announced on Sunday night that they have fired Jim Tomsula after just one season with the team. The Niners went 5-11 under Tomsula this season. Former Broncos and Redskins coach Mike Shanahan and ex-Eagles coach Chip Kelly have expressed interest in the job.

Philadelphia Eagles: The Eagles didn't wait until the offseason to show coach Chip Kelly the door. The coach was fired Tuesday, just days before the team's regular-season finale against the Giants. After two-10 win seasons, Kelly's offense turned stale and predictable this year. Ultimately, his grab for personnel power proved to be his undoing more than his X's and O's.

The Eagles will interview interim coach Pat Shurmur for the head coaching vacancy on Monday. An interview with Adam Gase will follow Tuesday and Teryl Austin likely will be interviewed later this week, Rapoport added.

Miami Dolphins: Dan Campbell, the fiery interim will get an interview Friday, according to Rapoport. However, NFL Media's Jeff Darlington reported Monday the team does not considered him a legitimate candidate for head coach. They could keep him on as a tight ends coach and associate head coach.

Per Rapoport, Miami will interview former Raiders, Broncos and Redskins head coach Mike Shananhan on Tuesday. The Dolphins also will interview Teryl Austin on Tuesday and Adam Gase on Thursday.

The Dolphins have named former college scouting director Chris Grier as their new general manager. Grier replaces Dennis Hickey, whom the team parted ways with on Saturday.

On thin ice

Chuck Pagano, Indianapolis Colts: The expectation is Pagano coached his final game for the Colts, just one year after taking Indy to the AFC title game. Owner Jim Irsay is scheduled to meet with Pagano on Monday morning, per Rapoport. But there is little belief Pagano will be asked back for 2016 in the form of an extension. He turned down a one-year contract before the season, putting himself on the hot seat.

As for general manager Ryan Grigson, he is expected to be retained for the coaching search, at the very least. While Pagano is in the final year of his contract, Grigson saw his option exercised more than a year. The Colts will think big for their next head coach, with names like Asshole Face and potentially Nick Saban on their radar. It is unclear how receptive both coaches will be. Saban gets inquiries every year and rarely considers them.

Jim Caldwell, Detroit Lions: The fate of Caldwell is in the hands of the unhired new general manager. There is no way of knowing if he'll return until his boss is hired, despite players speaking out for his return. But inside the organization, it does not feel like Caldwell is set to be fired. The Ford family has strong feelings for him, as he's quickly earned their respect.

The Lions requested an interview with Will McClay, the Cowboys assistant director of player personnel, Rapoport reports. However McClay has decided to stay put.

Tom Coughlin, New York Giants: Three people know Coughlin's fate -- co-owners John Mara and Steve Tisch, along with Coughlin. In most organizations, this would be an easy decision. But the Giants aren't like most places, and they'll carefully weigh every issue, including how to send him out (if it's the end) in a respectful way. But everyone outside the organization believes this job will be open. If that happens, offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo will receive strong consideration for the job. Eli Manning loves him and has played some of his best football with McAdoo. Coughlin's meeting with the Giants brass will happen in the early afternoon on Monday, Rapoport reports.

Mike Mularkey, Tennessee Titans: The interim coach hasn't won much, and with quarterback Marcus Mariota, this should be a prime opening. That said, the Titans are expected to consider Mularkey as a legitimate candidate. The organization has strong feelings for him and how he's handled Mariota. They also know it wouldn't be a popular hire for their fan base, which might make it a longshot move. But if they keep general manager Ruston Webster and extend CEO Steve Underwood, this could be the direction they are going.

Coaches to watch

Asshole Face, New Orleans Saints: A long-standing topic of discussion this season, Payton has made no secret of his openness to consider other options. Speaking with people informed of his thinking, he hasn't ruled out leaving New Orleans, with the hope that it's a clean and respectful break from the organization he took to great heights. The Saints, however, could be willing to part ways with Payton in exchange for a second-round draft pick, Rapoport reports.

Payton has privately discussed his interest in the Chargers opening, and he's let it be known he'd be interested in the 49ers' job, Rapoport reported.

Mike McCoy, San Diego Chargers: The Chargers' brass will meet Monday to figure out what to do with McCoy following his third and most trying season. Sources say the Chargers will consider all factors that played into the season, including injuries. I'm told they are taking the long view and stepping back to consider how it got to 4-12. In addition, firing a coach the same day relocation applications for Los Angeles are due is an entirely new obstacle. Anything is possible, but the assumption just a few weeks ago that McCoy would be fired after the season is no longer valid.

Safe

Jeff Fisher, St. Louis Rams: By any measure, Fisher should be on the hot seat. He hasn't delivered a winning record in four seasons with the Rams. It's an offense-first league, and the Rams' offense gets worse by the year. Fisher has six winning seasons in 21 years as an NFL head coach, but Rapoport reported that both Fisher and general manager Les Snead are expected back. They both have strong organizational support from owner Stan Kroenke. The strong finish to this season, with three wins in four games to get 7-9, also helps. Fisher also has strong ties with reporters, which tends to keep the criticism of his team to a minimum. There isn't going to be a fan outcry to get rid of him and the looming potential move to Los Angeles complicates things.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-announce-chris-grier-is-new-general-manager/

Dolphins announce Chris Grier is new General Manager
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 4, 2016

screen-shot-2016-01-04-at-10-46-37-am.png

The Dolphins didn’t take long to name a new General Manager.

Chris Grier has officially been hired as G.M., the team announced today.

The news of Grier’s hiring comes just two days after the Dolphins announced they had fired former G.M. Dennis Hickey. So rather than having a long and detailed coaching search, the Dolphins knew from the outset that Grier was the person they wanted to promote from within.

Grier previously served as the Dolphins’ director of college scouting.

Now the question is who will coach the players Grier acquires. The Dolphins have just begun their coaching search, which will be led by executive V.P. of football operations Mike Tannenbaum.

Photo via Miami Dolphins.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/04/titans-fire-g-m-ruston-webster/

Titans fire G.M. Ruston Webster

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpti5mmqzmguzzwizn2yxmdy3njy3yjm4ymqxy2iwnzjl-e1450013968484.jpeg
AP

The Tennessee Titans fired their head coach during the season, and now they’ve fired their General Manager on the first day of the offseason.

Titans G.M. Ruston Webster has been fired. The team announced the move today, along with the news that Steve Underwood has been permanently promoted to President and CEO.

“Today, I am glad to announce that Steve Underwood will be continuing in his role as our president and chief executive officer on a permanent basis,” said Titans owner Amy Adams Strunk. “I have had ongoing discussions with Steve on this issue for a while, and I feel his leadership is vital in order to move us forward. He has brought much-needed stability to our organization, and I look forward to progress that will be made under his leadership.

“Additionally, I would like to thank Ruston Webster for all of his efforts with our franchise, as he is a man of great character and integrity and someone for whom we I have tremendous respect. Our mission is to become one of the elite franchises in the National Football League, and we have fallen short of this goal in recent years. We are in the search process for our head coaching and general manager positions. We share our fans’ frustration about the team’s recent performance, and we are committed to doing everything we can to return our team to a perennial postseason contender.”

The Titans have confirmed that Mike Mularkey, who finished the season as interim head coach after Ken Whisenhunt was fired, will be given an interview and remains a candidate to become head coach on a permanent basis.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ping-mike-mccoy-but-staff-changes-are-coming/

Chargers keeping Mike McCoy, but staff changes are coming
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 4, 2016

mike-mccoy.jpg
AP

Wherever the Chargers play their home games next year, Mike McCoy will be coaching them.

According to Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune, Chargers officials told McCoy this morning he was safe for next season, though other changes to his staff were likely.

McCoy is entering the final year of his contract, and the combination of a 4-12 season and the team’s own uncertain location made his status reasonable to wonder about, especially considering General Manager Tom Telesco was given an extension.

But the newspaper reports “substantial changes are coming to the coaching staff,” which could happen as soon as today.

McCoy is 22-26 in three seasons, having gone 9-7 in each of his first two seasons. They made the playoffs and beat the Bengals in his rookie year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...aalke-remains-49ers-g-m-will-hire-next-coach/

Jed York: Trent Baalke remains 49ers’ G.M., will hire next coach

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwqxywezmdqwodhkmgnmmjy1ndq2zjvjztjjztlkmzy01-e1440422347929.jpeg
AP

A day after coach Jim Tomsula paid for the 49ers’ disappointing season with his job, owner Jed York said the same fate will not befall General Manager Trent Baalke.

York says Baalke remains the G.M. and will hire the next head coach.

“Trent Baalke will remain the General Manager of the 49ers. Trent understands that I’m not satisfied with the state of this team. Trent’s role is to find the next head coach and continue to build this roster and get us back to championship form. Trent has the skills to do this,” York said.

The question, however, is how sure 49ers fans can be that Baalke really is the man to turn the 49ers around. The team had a lot of success under coach Jim Harbaugh, but York and Baalke decided they couldn’t work for Harbaugh any longer and sent him packing. They then hired Tomsula, whom they could work with, but not win with.

Now the 49ers need to find a coach they can win with. York was born into the family that has owned the team for decades, so he doesn’t have to worry about his job security. But he may have no choice but to fire Baalke if the next coach is as unsuccessful as Tomsula.

Ram65

Legend
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/12/31/...hing-jobs-jay-cutler-peyton-manning-tim-tebow

The Case for Adam Gase
He has succeeded with Tebow, Manning and Cutler. Why one of the sharpest young offensive minds in football will top head-coaching wish lists this winter
by Jenny Vrentas

Very interesting read on Gase. Dare I say he could fix this lack of Rams offense if he was the Rams HC. Thanks for posting PT.

Oh well. Rams need to change the offense some every week.

fancents86

Starter
Only coach I'd like to see as HC ATM is Coughlin. Other than that even if Fisher leaving was an option I'd say we should keep him. Not many good coaches out there ATM. At least fisher can draft, we got that to look forward to.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Coughlin steps down as head coach.
Is that the official word? Forced to resign maybe?
I think he's done a good job overall. It seems to me that the GM(Jerry Reese) hasn't been bringing in the talent.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Is that the official word? Forced to resign maybe?
I think he's done a good job overall. It seems to me that the GM(Jerry Reese) hasn't been bringing in the talent.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/04/report-tom-coughlin-tells-staff-hes-out/

Tom Coughlin steps down as Giants coach
Posted by Josh Alper on January 4, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptrhytkwnwq1mmflyzq2zwqzoge2mmi5mmmwmdc1yzhm.jpeg
AP

The meeting with Giants ownership is done and it appears Tom Coughlin is as well.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Coughlin went from meeting with Giants co-owners John Mara and Steve Tisch to a meeting with his coaching staff and informed them that the team is making a head coaching change. There’s no word on whether that is a firing, resignation or a mutual parting of the ways.

Coughlin’s tenure with the Giants comes to an end after 12 seasons. He had a 102-90 record with the team and won a pair of Super Bowls since being hired to replace Jim Fassel before the 2004 season. Coughlin’s teams made the playoffs in four of his first five years, but they’ve missed the postseason in six of the last seven and have a 19-29 record over the last three seasons.

There will presumably be an official announcement coming from the Giants in short order and Coughlin’s record of success with both the Giants and the Jaguars, who he coached for eight years, could put him on some wish lists for other teams looking for coaches this week.

UPDATE 2:30 p.m. ET: Coughlin has released a statement announcing he is stepping down as the Giants’ coach.

“I met with John Mara and Steve Tisch this afternoon, and I informed them that it is in the best interest of the organization that I step down as head coach. I strongly believe the time is right for me and my family, and as I said, the Giants organization.”

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Jed York: Trent Baalke remains 49ers’ G.M., will hire next coach

Well, I was bummed about the 49ers firing Ron Jeremy, but keeping Trent Baalke as GM is a positive development for the Rams.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Coughlin would be an interesting choice to me but Snead & Fisher are getting that 5th year so new HC talk is pointless...unless some of these available HC's take a year off, and Fisher is let go a year from now which is possible.