The Official Black Monday Thread: Coaches and GM's Hired and Fired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Lots of options if Kroenke fires Fish.

McDaniels over Gase in my mind because he has failed at HC and has an idea what to expect.

I would also interview Haley, who like McDaniels wasn't ready his first go-round.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am almost insane mad after this loss..God WE SUCK SO HARD! and Fisher is going nowhere..Hello mediocrity for as long as he is here

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Will Kroenke hire this guy?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jim Tomsula is gone.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/03/49ers-make-it-official-fire-coach-jim-tomsula/

49ers make it official, fire coach Jim Tomsula
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 3, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwmwmzniymq4njjhmtlkmmrhnge4y2u0mjixnzllywrk1-e1445294887703.jpeg
AP

The 49ers made the expected news official Sunday night, firing coach Jim Tomsula.

Jimmy has been a valuable member of the 49ers organization for the last nine years,” owner Jed York said in a statement released by the team. “We all know he is a man of high character, and his contributions on the field and in our community have always been greatly appreciated. This entire organization is proud and grateful to have worked so closely alongside Jimmy. We all wish him and his family great success in the future.”

They just wish it for him someplace else.

As noted here earlier today, that means General Manager Trent Baalke is still in place, and will be able to take another shot at finding a coach to rebuild there, after a collapse that transcended losses on the field.

After all the offseason retirements and defections and the midseason benching of quarterback Colin Kaepernick, the 49ers looked lost as an organization.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I will miss Tomsula being Head Coach of the 49ers, enter Chip Kelly.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I will miss Tomsula being Head Coach of the 49ers, enter Chip Kelly.
Please hire Kelly as soon as possible so that he can trade off any remaining 9ers with talent.

Then he can take his gimmick offense back to high school....asap.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Lots of options if Kroenke fires Fish.

McDaniels over Gase in my mind because he has failed at HC and has an idea what to expect.

I would also interview Haley, who like McDaniels wasn't ready his first go-round.
They should try to find a coach who's system is a fit for the current personnel. No wait, i'd rather score points and win!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They should try to find a coach who's system is a fit for the current personnel. No wait, i'd rather score points and win!

I think sweating the system is a mistake. If you hire a head coach who ensures you have the knowledge on offense that you need to get the most of QB and talent, they're going to get everyone on the same page in whatever system they run. Plus all the systems today run the same routes and concepts, just with different terminology. I mean it's possible to hire an OC in the same system who overcomplicates things, so in a lot of ways IMO it comes down to are they a great teacher of offense? If so, you're not gonna have confused players. That shows on the field.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gone already...

Fatsula.

Pettine.

FRO

Legend
I know Tom Coughlin hasn't been super successful the last few years in New York, but he may be the guy the Browns need. He was very successful in Jacksonville and won 2 Super Bowls in New York. They need a stable HC that has built teams before. They are going to have a tough time hiring a competent HC with their track record of firing coaches.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know Tom Coughlin hasn't been super successful the last few years in New York, but he may be the guy the Browns need. He was very successful in Jacksonville and won 2 Super Bowls in New York. They need a stable HC that has built teams before. They are going to have a tough time hiring a competent HC with their track record of firing coaches.

I don't know if Coughlin could handle an a$$hat like Haslam sticking his nose in everything. My guess is if he's gone in NY he will retire, but then again old Tom is a guy with more energy than a dude his age should have so you never know.

FRO

Legend
I don't know if Coughlin could handle an a$$hat like Haslam sticking his nose in everything. My guess is if he's gone in NY he will retire, but then again old Tom is a guy with more energy than a dude his age should have so you never know.
You're right, but money speaks.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I seriously hope they rethink Fisher being safe after today's game
out of curiousity, which of the available coaches would be the best fit in StL ? this mess wont disappear until the Rams have an owner that has an ounce of interest in the product on the field. sadly, that may not happen anytime soon.

FRO

Legend
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/01/02/...ets-adam-gase-chip-kelly-tom-coughlin-week-17

I think a couple of things about the coaching carousel

a. As I read Jenny Vrentas’s excellent piece on Chicago Bears offensive coordinator (and soon to be head coach somewhere) Adam Gase, I couldn’t help but think of Chip Kelly and why he failed in Philadelphia.

As many have said over the last couple days in regards to Kelly: The NFL is a people business. Kelly, at least in reports, was painted as a sharp mind but inflexible to a fault, unwilling to adjust to the wants and needs of his millionaire employees. Gase (and you should read the whole piece) is also brilliant. And his success has come as something of a chameleon, a guy who is not only willing to take input from players but also willing to delve into their pasts and custom-fit an offense to them.

If I were an Eagles fan or player, I’d hope Gase is near the top of Philly’s list of candidates.

b. I know Chuck Pagano is a defensive coach who never got enough out of his defense in Indy. But I also think he got a raw deal. Aside from some good talent in the secondary, there was just never a whole lot of explosive talent on the defensive side of the ball to work with, especially after Robert Mathis’s ruptured achilles.

c. Similarly, I hope the Giants hang onto Tom Coughlin. The roster just isn’t good enough. On offense, they are devoid of weapons outside of Odell Beckham. On defense, their one game-changer blew his hand off during the offseason. Up the middle they are terrible, once again (foolishly) relying on Jon Beason to stay healthy and trotting out a couple of safeties who just don’t cut it. Talent-wise they were a six- or seven-win roster. If not for some late-game mismanagement, they might have won nine or 10. And late-game management, while frustrating, is correctable.

d. One more thing on the Colts: In my very unprofessional opinion, if Pagano is indeed out they should check in with Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley. He’s done as well as possible as far as keeping Ben Roethlisberger relatively healthy, designing an offense that gets the ball out of Ben’s hands and minimizing the hits the star quarterback takes.

Andrew Luck holds on to the ball for far too long. Finding a way to keep Luck on the field has to be Indy’s No. 1 priority going forward. Haley face-planted as a head coach in Kansas City, but he won an AFC West title with a truly bad roster (with an assist from a truly bad schedule), and I’m not sure there’s a coach who could have done better with the hand Haley was dealt in K.C.
Todd Haley? If I were a Colts fan I would be heated if they hired Haley. With Luck at QB they will have the opportunity to get their first choice, provided the GM is gone too.