The Official Black Monday Thread: Coaches and GM's Hired and Fired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Coughlin is an odd thing......6 out of the last 7 years he missed the playoffs and the one year he made it they won the SB. He did have a 9 and 10 win season in that span. Actually 2 seasons with 9 wins. I'm not sure he's an upgrade.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Hell, I'm 67 and may not live to see the Rams have a winning record...that sucks!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/04/chargers-fire-offensive-coordinator-frank-reich/

Chargers fire offensive coordinator Frank Reich
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 4, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptcxowi2ntaymzbhytcxntg5odgxnjgwzdc5zwq5mmnl-e1420119941379.jpeg
Getty Images

The Chargers made no secret that changes were coming, even if they didn’t include head coach Mike McCoy.

They’ve started one level below him.

According to Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune, the Chargers have fired offensive coordinator Frank Reich.

Reich has had head coaching interviews in the recent past (Jets and Bills last year).

The Chargers were ninth in the league in total offense this year (371.8 yards per game), but 26th in scoring (20.0 points per game), a difference that didn’t help when it was time for someone to be offered up.

It will be interesting to see if Ken Whisenhunt wants to circle back for another ride, as he was McCoy’s coordinator in 2013, before taking the Tennessee head coaching job.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/04/report-browns-fire-farmers-friends-too/

Report: Browns fire Farmer’s friends, too
Posted by Zac Jackson on January 4, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptmzzmi4nda4mwmwzji1ogezndvinzi4mjy3ngzlmme5-e1441396550405.jpeg
AP

The Browns have fired former general manager Ray Farmer’s top lieutenants, ESPN’s Dianna Marie Russini reported Monday.

Farmer was fired before Sunday’s season finale. Russini tweeted that Bill Kuharich and Morocco Brown were fired Monday.

Kuharich’s title was executive chief of staff. Brown was vice president of player personnel.

Kuharich was Farmer’s first hire after Farmer was promoted to general manager in early 2014 and served as interim general manager when Farmer served a four-game suspension to start the 2015 season. Brown joined the Browns after the 2014 draft.

After firing Farmer and head coach Mike Pettine, Browns owner Jimmy Haslam announced that the team’s general counsel, Sashi Brown, had been promoted to executive vice president of football operations and put in charge of the roster.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
How many HC openings does this add up to?

Not sure what the record is.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
102 - 90...nothing spectacular...but a great coach...anybody see what I'm getting at?????:mrburns::burp:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
After firing Farmer and head coach Mike Pettine, Browns owner Jimmy Haslam announced that the team’s general counsel, Sashi Brown, had been promoted to executive vice president of football operations and put in charge of the roster.

LOL the lawyer is now in charge of the roster.

I wish the NFL would force him to sell.

So do any of you guys recall that the Patriots almost ended up getting bought and moved to STL?

It's a quiz, not a test. :)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

So do any of you guys recall that the Patriots almost ended up getting bought and moved to STL?

Yep, James Orthwein. Not sure if I spelled his last name right without googling.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

A lawyer in charge you say...

Can you say john shaw without getting pissed?

Those poor bastards. At least they have Lebron.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/04/chargers-fire-six-assistant-coaches/

Chargers fire six assistant coaches
Posted by Zac Jackson on January 4, 2016

460803647.jpg
Getty Images

The Chargers fired offensive coordinator Frank Reich Monday, and Monday night brought news that his firing was part of a larger housecleaning by head coach Mike McCoy.

The Chargers issued a press release announcing the dismissal of five other assistant coaches. McCoy was told Monday his job was safe, but it’s likely these changes were part of that deal.

Also gone are offensive line coach Joe D’Alessandris, tight ends coach Pete Metzelaars, wide receivers coach Fred Graves, defensive line coach Don Johnson and assistant offensive line coach Andrew Dees.

Reich, D’Alessandris, Graves and Dees joined the Chargers in 2013, McCoy’s first year as head coach. Johnson came to San Diego in 2009 and Metzelaars joined the Chargers in 2014.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/04/colts-chuck-pagano-agree-to-new-contract/

Colts, Chuck Pagano agree to new contract
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 4, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwq2nmi5odq4y2jjmmywogu0ntm5mmyzyzqyndnjnge31.jpeg
AP

Black Monday’s most stunning news is about a coach who didn’t get fired.

Chuck Pagano will return to the Colts and has agreed to a new contract, the team announced this evening.

That news comes as a total shock. It has been widely believed for months that Pagano would be gone at the end of the season even if the Colts made the playoffs. When the Colts fell short of the postseason, Pagano’s exit seemed to be a mere formality.

But when Black Monday came and there was no announcement of anything other than a meeting between Pagano and Colts owner Jim Irsay, it began to raise questions about whether Pagano had saved his job. And now it’s clear that he has.

Whether Pagano, Irsay and General Manager Ryan Grigson can all work together for the long term remains to be seen. But Pagano will get another shot, and will remain the Colts’ coach.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/04/colts-chuck-pagano-agree-to-new-contract/

Colts, Chuck Pagano agree to new contract
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 4, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwq2nmi5odq4y2jjmmywogu0ntm5mmyzyzqyndnjnge31.jpeg
AP

Black Monday’s most stunning news is about a coach who didn’t get fired.

Chuck Pagano will return to the Colts and has agreed to a new contract, the team announced this evening.

That news comes as a total shock. It has been widely believed for months that Pagano would be gone at the end of the season even if the Colts made the playoffs. When the Colts fell short of the postseason, Pagano’s exit seemed to be a mere formality.

But when Black Monday came and there was no announcement of anything other than a meeting between Pagano and Colts owner Jim Irsay, it began to raise questions about whether Pagano had saved his job. And now it’s clear that he has.

Whether Pagano, Irsay and General Manager Ryan Grigson can all work together for the long term remains to be seen. But Pagano will get another shot, and will remain the Colts’ coach.
Whenever I think of Chuck, I think of a coach crying, and whining about not letting, Robert Quinn wreck the game, pacing up, and down the sidelines, out loud. I don't know, that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence on the sideline, and have you seen his press conferences? And people complain about our coach-speak. Good for him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Fish should be on the phone right now with Whisenhunt. KW won't get a head coaching gig. He's a very good and proven OC, but I know, I know, it's gonna be Boras.