The NFL's 15 most overpaid players

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Uhh, I'm almost positive a 26 year old Tavon Austin could still run a 4.3 40. I think you and @ScotsRam ars missing my point. Which is probably my fault since I'm terrible at explaining things. But without Tavon, this team has nobody to make the safeties even worry about backing up. He might not have a great track record with deep balls but you still have to consider what else he does. He can take a screen pass 60 yards on any given play. He's also a very good RB and any defensive coach will tell his safeties to back off vs big play potential. I'm telling you guys to ignore 2016 and pretend it never happened. It was just a bad situation for everyone.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Retarded.

Jason Witten is NOT a league average tight end. Yeah, he's slower, but the guy is still a GREAT tight end, and a first ballot HOFer

Ram65

Legend

I'm confuse. Help me out here. Tavon had 2 years remaining on his contract and got a 4 year extension that would make it a 6 year deal in total not 5 years. The Rams committed to a 5th year on his rookie contract at $12.268 million for 2017 and had his 2016 base at $2.143 Million. (I incorrectly added his signing bonus which was already paid, in previous post) Here are the new numbers for the 6 years with the new deal.

Tavon Contract.png

This shows yearly cash and totals at the far right end column.
The total of $57,008,777 for 6 years averages out to about 9.5 Million per year for the 6 years.
The Rams were committed 14.411 Million combined for 2016 and 2017 a 7.2 Million average.
With the 4 years @ 42 Million and have an average of 9.5 Million for 6 years.
The 9.5 Million is much more reasonable numbers than your 5 year averages.

We don't know any specifics about the bonuses which makes it hard to comment. I imagine production based which means he played well to earn them.

Looking at this I can only speculate on Demoff's reasoning. Signing bonuses would be carried for a longer time period which could be good or bad. The Rams have him on three one year deals after 2018. After 2018 the Rams can release or trade Tavon without any cap hit. He would have to out play his remaining contract numbers to hold out. The Rams could still trade him at that time or wait him out. Should he get injured, lose a couple of steps the Rams can get out of the deal by releasing him without ramifications. Demoff left him and the Rams in control of Tavon's Rams future.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend

Thanks. I think the Rams got a little ahead of themselves by giving Austin the extension early as they did. Was Fisher nervous with few offensive weapons? I would think so. I don't think the Rams would release Tavon after his 2015 season. That was his best year. I doubt Tavon would have held out as well. Had they not given the extension they would have the 12.286 million as the starting point for a new deal. At that point after his 2015 season I guess a 7.5 to 8 Million a year deal could have been reach for 3 years.

I have a better understanding of contracts now. Others may have too after reading these posts. The way I look at the deal makes me feel better.:) Yes what is done is done. Moving forward Demoff and the Rams have to manage the contracts better. They seem to have been giving too much of player friendly deals that can't continue.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Don't care about Tavon's pay - he's a Swiss Army Knife of a WR thats only been used as a spork up until now - you can't blame him for having poor OCs since he entered the league - he WILL produce this year.

Such a stupid article - Jason Witten, when fit, is, IMO, one of the best TE's in the league and has earned his money, same goes for Pouncey, a solid C, that has had injury issues - thats why I'm all for injury clauses in contracts.

Osweiler & Glennon should be at the top of the list here - so much money for mediocre back-up quality guys. Tru should definitely be on this list, he's got #1 CB money, but his play isn't anywhere there... yet.

Lets just wait and see what this season brings. I think these guys are going make the leap to elite.

Ram65

Legend

4) Do a long term deal before paying the 5th year option.

I'm trying to project what the Rams were thinking. As stated the Rams had little offensive weapons and I don't think they would have let him walk. They had invested a lot of draft capital as well. The Rams kept Barron another over paid contract. Rams would have been better off had they let him walk based on last years production.

Ram65

Legend
Sorry my 4) should have been

4) Do a long term deal before paying the 5th year option after the 4th year season. The deal was signed/announced at the end of Aug 2016. The Rams didn't have to rush the deal and could have waited till after the season.

Your right it should be irrelavant but, I'm not sure Fisher and the Rams were thinking objectively.

I liked Barron a lot in 2015. Barron's contract still seems a bit high for an undersized a 4-3 outside linebacker. He didn't have a $10 Million dollar year in 2016. Seems more like the Rams best out clause comes next year when they can release him and have only 3 Million in dead money. We will see what happens with his play in Wade's defense this year. Rams may have to find cheaper alternatives next year when they have to pay Ogletree. Rams are paying Baron top 10 ISLBer money.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/inside-linebacker/

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't teams have to exercise the 5th year option before season 4?
So Tavon had his final year to go AND the 5th year option picked up when he signed the extension last summer.
Right?