The NFL's 15 most overpaid players

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i refuse to believe mcvay and lafleur won't know how to get the best out of tavon and use him properly in an offense that works. fingers crossed.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
1. Joe Flacco, QB Ravens
2017 Cap hit: $24.55 million
Position rank: 1st

It's been four years since Flacco signed his mega deal after leading the Ravens to a Super Bowl, and he's given Baltimore one above-average season over that time. The front office hasn't given him a whole lot of support, but quarterbacks making that much money are supposed to elevate the players around them. Flacco clearly hasn't.
I'd take that contract to put him in a Rams uni this year....hypothetically speaking.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Austin should be cut. Is it a business or isn't it? Production and cost have to meet to create value somewhere.
Cool so we cut Austin and we don't have any receivers to take the top off the defense. What's your plan Stan?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Not everyone struggled last season my Ram Brother. Quick and Britt had career years.
This statement needs one of these....

* Career year for a WR who's career has been and still is insignificant.

I'll give you Britt. Benny played well too. Still, there's not a whole lot of hyperbole when one says no one played well in 2016.

I don't get to wrapped up in player money etc. They're all making too much in the grand scheme of things IMO.

I think Tavon will have a very good season surrounded by professionals. He had a good season in 2015. He got paid. Doesn't bother me.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
There is no doubt plenty of overpaid players in the NFL..

For our Rams..... some of their top paid money makers can make you take a second and third glance.

CB Trumaine Johnson 2017 $16,742,400 (2018 UFA)

WR Tavon Austin 2017
$14,977,116 ( 2018 $8,000,000 )

LB Mark Barron 2017
$11,000,000 ( 2018 $10,000,000 )

DT Michael Brockers 2017
$11,000,000 ( 2018 $10,750,000 )

OG Rodger Saffold 2017
$6,190,983 ( 2018 $7,500,000 )

8581764_f260.jpg

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I don't see any other 4.2 40 guys on this team do you?
First of all he has never run a 4.2 so I don't understand the reason to exaggerate.

Secondly, what good has his 4.34 speed really done for him or us?

I like him as a return man, occasional running back and as a person to distract the defense.

However he was overdrafted and he's now being overpaid as well.

I hope McVay can get something out of him and prove me wrong but until then I'm not drinking the Tavon Kool-Aid.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
He ran in the 4.2s in college. He's that fast. Also @Soul Surfer i can post a dozen videos of his speed killing defenses but I doubt it will change your mind at this point.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Cool so we cut Austin and we don't have any receivers to take the top off the defense. What's your plan Stan?

I'm being facetious obviously but the guy has to produce. If you or I represented that poor an investment to our employers they would not be keeping us around.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
while Britt had a career year in the same offense

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...ing-who-made-their-quarterbacks-look-the-best

BY SCOTT BARRETT

As the final part of my series on wide receiver efficiency, I wanted to look at WR Rating (the passer rating of a player’s quarterbacks when that player is targeted.) However, since it correlated poorly to volume in the following season, I tried to improve on it by adjusting for quarterback play.

The question I asked myself was this: Whose WR Rating is more impressive, Dez Bryant’s 106.8 or Kenny Britt’s 104.1? At surface level, Bryant’s appears more impressive, but that isn’t the case when factoring in Dallas quarterbacks averaged a 102.5 passer rating while Los Angeles quarterbacks averaged an abysmal 70.5.

When we talk about wide receiver efficiency, it’s not just that “this wide receiver was x efficient on these targets,” but rather, “the connection between this quarterback and this wide receiver was x efficient on these targets.” Clearly, a wide receiver catching passes from Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees has a much greater chance at efficiency than one catching passes from Ryan Fitzpatrick or Brock Osweiler. This statistic (adjusted WR Rating) helps illustrate just how efficient a team’s wide receiver was independent of quarterback play.

Barrett-17.png

Kenny Britt, Cleveland Browns – Britt was the lone bright spot on the Rams offense last season. Britt has minimal target competition heading to Cleveland, and I like his chances of outscoring Corey Coleman, who ranked poorly by a number of different efficiency metrics.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Austin should be cut. Is it a business or isn't it? Production and cost have to meet to create value somewhere.

One of Demoff's ways to take an early hit when it won't hurt as much.

This is what can get missed looking at a single year or two within a contract.

Over the final 4yrs of Tavon's contract, starting next year, it averages $9MM per season.

His deal was front loaded.

$9MM per season with only one more bonus to pay ($5MM) over the final 4 years.... Tavon can be worth that contract.

Let's see what 2017 brings.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
You draft a guy on promise and potential. You don't give him a $42 million extension on the same.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
You draft a guy on promise and potential. You don't give him a $42 million extension on the same.

True.

But, we've seen the Rams stagger their contract extensions and front load deals into windows they have cap space anticipating future deals elsewhere. Done right, this keeps as many good players as possible.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
True.

But, we've seen the Rams stagger their contract extensions and front load deals into windows they have cap space anticipating future deals elsewhere. Done right, this keeps as many good players as possible.
Yeah, but "done right" is the sticky wicket, isn't it? That's a big contract - easier to get out of, but big nonetheless - for a guy coming off a season with roughly 900 total offensive yards. I can see inking him to an extension, but it was too much and too early. I guess it was a way to avoid the 5th-year option at $12 million by buying out the $2 million 4th year, but that did hold a lot of assumption.

Ram65

Legend
This is what can get missed looking at a single year or two within a contract.

Over the final 4yrs of Tavon's contract, starting next year, it averages $9MM per season.

His deal was front loaded.

$9MM per season with only one more bonus to pay ($5MM) over the final 4 years.... Tavon can be worth that contract.

Let's see what 2017 brings.

Please bare with me.

Another over looked part of deal was that Tavon was a top 10 pick.
His 5th year would be 2017 on his original deal which IIRC would have him being paid in the top 5 WR average. Spotac has that figure over 12 Million. They would have had to pay him over 16 Million for 2016 and 2017. As it stands now they are paying him 20.875 Million. That's round 4.5 Million more with the extension. Not that bad and they got options.

POTENTIAL OUT: 2019, 3 YR, $28,875,000; $0 DEAD CAP

Only 5 Million cap hit if cut 2018.

Lower cap numbers and no cap hit if cut in 2020 and 2021.

He did have a 10 TD year and was seemly getting better. The Rams took a little gamble with the extension. They got security that Tavon would be a Ram for years if they wanted him and let him go without much dollar risk later on.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/tavon-austin-12288/

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Not everyone struggled last season my Ram Brother. Quick and Britt had career years.

Tavon is a world class athlete who has yet to produce like the football player we drafted him to be and is going on his 5th year...

Brian Quick's "career year" isn't really saying much. I'll give you Kenny Britt.

Most would say TGII is a better offensive player than either of those WRs, though. And when he struggled, and Tavon struggled, and so did the QBs, TEs, etc...well it tells a differnt story.

Yet to produce? 1000+ yards in 2015. Scored 10 times. What more do you want?