The Luck Of Andrew

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

For those who don't know my thoughts on AL let me say that I'm on record in other venues that he is the only QB in the last 10 years I would have drafted ahead of Sam so understand what I am about to say next.

People like to take shots at Sam for starring down receivers at times like he is the only QB to ever do so and Luck, again last night, was caught doing the same on several throws...some he got away with, others he did not...but a problem with Andrew's game is he's being asked to do too much and its not in his dna to give up on a play which, invariably, leads to disaster and in the playoffs, the end of your season.

Luck has great touch on all levels of his throws and sees the field "pretty" well but still needs work in this area to be sure. To date his best attribute is his "big Ben" abailty to extend plays and allow his receivers to uncover.

I watched him a lot his rookie year and he had a crazy # of dropped ints (lead the league with 10 as I recall) to go along with the 18 he did throw. This year when they had Wayne and more balance he threw a lot less and a lot safer..but once Wayne went down he's began to press and with that, 2 more turnover filled playoff games followed.

I've heard Pete Carroll say (I know right) that if your QB doesn't turn it over and you have a pretty good team then you will be in most every game. Just another reason, along with his arm talent, accuracy and smarts that I love Braford.

As Gil Brandt just said on Sirius; "the colts need to keep building around Andrew and he needs to keep growing as a QB.."

It was comical to hear them trying to explain away Luck's ints...you see when you reach a certain preceived stats all your faults become other peoples faults instead.

And when you don't have that status (Sam) you have what was a very good 7 game stretch completely disregarded by many as they say "the Rams should move on from Bradord because he's not getting better..."

Really?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
This is excellent insight, RFIP. People will go a long way to rationalize their perception once it is set in stone.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My only concern with Sam is durability.

He doesn't have the escapability of Luck or Brees, so he needs a better oline than those two. But, he can make all the throws and capable of mastering this offense.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You should understand, though, that at some point a great majority of Sam Antagonists are only interested in being right about him. Objectivity isn't a factor in those discussions, and they HAVE TO take up positions that are in direct conflict with what they believe ... simply because being right about Sam is the prime objective, and not what Sam will or will not amount to. It's a strange phenomenon.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I said this in the GDT, right now he reminds me of Brett Favre. He'll have the game like he did against the Chiefs and the entire football world will want him as their QB, then he'll have a clunker the next. Brett Favre.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Something else that Luck has had the benefit of is familiarity and comfort. He got his college OC this year for crying out loud. Not to mention his old TE Fleener. So, while he did lose Wayne, he's had some real advantages when it comes to acclimating to the NFL.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I blame Bradford for a grand total of 0 interceptions this year. If recievers could catch or at least bat the ball down instead of up, he has 1 in 7 games. If Stacy (I think?) Blocks and Sam isn't hit while he throws he has 0.

14 TD's to 0 picks (due to poor decisions) in 7 games. That is called elite ball security.

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Last week's Colts game should have had the anti-Bradford rationalizations screaming "Garbage time stats! Garbage time stats!" when in reality, it was a furious and exciting comeback from a huge deficit.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Last week's Colts game should have had the anti-Bradford rationalizations screaming "Garbage time stats! Garbage time stats!" when in reality, it was a furious and exciting comeback from a huge deficit.
Egg.

Zack.

Lee.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You should understand, though, that at some point a great majority of Sam Antagonists are only interested in being right about him. Objectivity isn't a factor in those discussions, and they HAVE TO take up positions that are in direct conflict with what they believe ... simply because being right about Sam is the prime objective, and not what Sam will or will not amount to. It's a strange phenomenon.

I would add to this golden Nugget with yeah its a strange phenomenon but often seen in NFL football. I myself (due to no working brain cells) just fail to understand why they fall into that .....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I would add to this golden Nugget with yeah its a strange phenomenon but often seen in NFL football. I myself (due to no working brain cells) just fail to understand why they fall into that .....
They were weened off the teat too early would be my guess.

Or not soon enough.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Luck is gonna be a great one. Some of the great ones throw a lot of picks - it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

The thing is, everyone has already decided Luck is gonna be great. So everything he does must be great - in case they look stupid.

With Sam Bradford, its been 4 years, and they don't really know what he's doing. Plus, they don't watch the Rams a lot - therefore he's a bust. The conversation must therefore be about how long the Rams stick with him, who they replace him with etc, or else they look stupid.

They cant look at a situation for what it is, because it is quite complex and would take more than a 10 minute discussion on NFL's "Around the League" to resolve and come to the truth. Modern Media has created a monstrous environment where everything must be labelled as "something", right or wrong, because to be indeterminate is too confusing. In turn, this has created a nation of people with the attention spans of goldfish, and who are too lazy to do their own research to come to a conclusion of their own (despite having the greatest research tool in the history of humanity at their fingertips...the internet). They are happy instead to have their opinions made for them by a bunch of talking heads who have only a 2 minute segment of a show to tell you if a guy is good or sucks. As I said, most of the experts wont watch a lot of the Rams. A lot of them will have watched one game all year (The San Fran game at the Dome) where Sam sucked. Therefore, he sucks.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
when in reality, it was a furious and exciting comeback from a huge deficit.

LOL a comeback CAUSED IN GREAT PART by Luck's horrific 3 ints.

Something that always seems to get lost in translation.

Realty is he was bad in both games, yesterday he played against a great coach who made him pay for his mistakes, not Andy Reid.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
For those who don't know my thoughts on AL let me say that I'm on record in other venues that he is the only QB in the last 10 years I would have drafted ahead of Sam so understand what I am about to say next.

People like to take shots at Sam for starring down receivers at times like he is the only QB to ever do so and Luck, again last night, was caught doing the same on several throws...some he got away with, others he did not...but a problem with Andrew's game is he's being asked to do too much and its not in his dna to give up on a play which, invariably, leads to disaster and in the playoffs, the end of your season.

Luck has great touch on all levels of his throws and sees the field "pretty" well but still needs work in this area to be sure. To date his best attribute is his "big Ben" abailty to extend plays and allow his receivers to uncover.

I watched him a lot his rookie year and he had a crazy # of dropped ints (lead the league with 10 as I recall) to go along with the 18 he did throw. This year when they had Wayne and more balance he threw a lot less and a lot safer..but once Wayne went down he's began to press and with that, 2 more turnover filled playoff games followed.

I've heard Pete Carroll say (I know right) that if your QB doesn't turn it over and you have a pretty good team then you will be in most every game. Just another reason, along with his arm talent, accuracy and smarts that I love Braford.

As Gil Brandt just said on Sirius; "the colts need to keep building around Andrew and he needs to keep growing as a QB.."

It was comical to hear them trying to explain away Luck's ints...you see when you reach a certain preceived stats all your faults become other peoples faults instead.

And when you don't have that status (Sam) you have what was a very good 7 game stretch completely disregarded by many as they say "the Rams should move on from Bradord because he's not getting better..."

Really?

Very good post, RFIP. Luck is asked to do too much but he is only in his sophomore season. Tipped his hand on many throws last night but he will get better with more experience. It is completely unfair that he gets a pass in the media just because they all hyped him up like no other QB the past 10 years. Sam doesn't get that luxury and it's completely unfair. Just gotta hope Sam our young, talented, team can grow and continue to build into a contender. I think health is our biggest concern.

iced

Realty is he was bad in both games, yesterday he played against a great coach who made him pay for his mistakes, not Andy Reid.

that's not really fair.

The difference was the Patriots weren't dropping like flies and losing a lot of starters in the middle of the game, including their best player..the chiefs losing charles is akin to the pats losing brady

PhxRam

Same could be said for Farve. Considered an all-time great. Most of his comebacks where because of him.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Luck helped his team get in the playoffs in his 2nd year. I think I'd be pretty happy about that if I were a Colts fan.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What's not fair? Reid did nothing to try and run clock and he was too stupid to take Hilton, their one big play receiver, away.

that's not really fair.

The difference was the Patriots weren't dropping like flies and losing a lot of starters in the middle of the game, including their best player..the chiefs losing charles is akin to the pats losing brady

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Of course it was caused in part by his bad play, and yesterday he was overall quite bad (although some of his throws were really impressive). I agree with you that he's the one QB I'd have taken over Bradford coming out of college in the past however many years, but the KC game was similar to some of Bradford's early games - rough going early, untimely turnovers, turned on the jets late in the game and mounted an impressive comeback to win. Some call Bradford's play lackluster because of "garbage-time" stats, even when he's mounting an impressive comeback. Those same people rave over Luck's ability to come back from big defecits like against KC.

FWIW, I'm in no way bashing Bradford. He played really good football in 2013, up until his injury. I'm more pointing out the incongruous thinking that takes place in the minds of certain "grass is greener" Rams fans.

iced

What's not fair? Reid did nothing to try and run clock and he was too stupid to take Hilton, their one big play receiver, away.

but you can't act like losing charles, flowers, houston, lewis, berry?, etc. didn't have a huge effect on the outcome. indy didn't start scoring til chiefs players started dropping like flies