The ingenious strategy that allows Sean McVay to be an actual coach on the field

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
Seems like a no brain decision for a rookie'ish QB. Not sure why everyone doesn't do it. Even if it's not calling direct audibles you'd think everyone would at least communicate everything they are seeing for anyone not a veteran. Goff is getting direct, real time education during live games. It'll prepare him in the future when, inevitably, Jeff Fisher has the competition committee ban communication after 25 seconds this off season due to j̶e̶a̶l̶o̶u̶s̶y̶ wanting to make things fair.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems like a no brain decision for a rookie'ish QB. Not sure why everyone doesn't do it. Even if it's not calling direct audibles you'd think everyone would at least communicate everything they are seeing for anyone not a veteran. Goff is getting direct, real time education during live games. It'll prepare him in the future when, inevitably, Jeff Fisher has the competition committee ban communication after 25 seconds this off season due to j̶e̶a̶l̶o̶u̶s̶y̶ wanting to make things fair.
even if Jeff had the foresight to do something like this it would go

"ok jared hand off to gurley up the gut "
"coach the corners are 20 yards deep on 3 and 10 how about a slant?? "
" i said hand off to gurley up the gut "
" coach they have 9 in the box "
" gurley up the gut "

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Gruden and Collingsworth suck, I wish they would take these guys off the air.

Scirca

Rookie
People will point to this as proof that Goff isn't good to justify labeling him as a bust last year.

And push the Carson Wentz for the hall of fame narrative, I'm getting so fucking sick of hearing about Carson Wentz. He has beaten nobody except for the Redskins, and he shouldn't have even beaten them that first time, Kirk Cousins got robbed on a horseshit fumble call. I can't wait til the Rams blow out these overrated Eagles.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Peyton Manning's incessant jabbering at the line of scrimmage annoyed me a lot. Omaha, Omaha, etc.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1IZdqPYuts

Now Goff is doing it even more and the homer in me loves it. But at least he's funny. :) Obama, Obama, Ric Flair, Ric Flair.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-qusRmbHHs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbLLyAj7wWw

Wilson, Hoosier, Tupac.

Those are my exact feelings. I hated manning at the line jabbering and moving his arms around theatrically and couldn't watch colts games because of it. Now that Jared is doing it i love it.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The pre-snap reads of the defense are not solely McVay or Goff. They are a team. The offense lines up early so McVay can give his take on the defensive setup. You can confirm this because we rarely snap it early and use a bunch of hard counts to expose potential blitzers quickly in the play clock.

However, Goff is well coached enough to act as an extension of McVay after 15 seconds and gets better at it every week. There were at least 3 occasions where he audibled late and correctly diagnosed where the blitz was coming from.

He still has room to improve though because he outsmarted himself on the intensional grounding play. He saw their was an overload blitz on the right side so he audibled Gurley to pick it up. After the snap, the pressure still got to him so he threw the check down. The only problem was, Gurley was his check down and he had changed his assignment pre-snap to blitz pickup, hahaha.

Definitely a bright young talent overall and he hasn’t neared his ceiling yet.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Peyton Manning's incessant jabbering at the line of scrimmage annoyed me a lot. Omaha, Omaha, etc.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1IZdqPYuts

Now Goff is doing it even more and the homer in me loves it. But at least he's funny. :) Obama, Obama, Ric Flair, Ric Flair.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-qusRmbHHs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbLLyAj7wWw

Wilson, Hoosier, Tupac.

IMG_1296.JPG

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In one of the video clips it looks like McVay is talking to him at the same time Goff his barking out the play sometimes. Just think about that for a second, you have the coach jabbering in your ear, you are looking at the defense, relaying or changing the play, making sure everyone is lined up correctly and making sure to get the snap off in time, all at the same time. Most of the time in 15 sec or less.

Yeah we are in good hands and I hope it is for years. Goff was the right pick now that he is paired with McVay. I hope they both are in HORNS for a long time.

I really don't care what any of these self described experts say (including some on this board), I like what I see and I am enjoying it. If I am wrong I do not care as this is really fun to watch right now. As the calm one @BatteringRambo says I am enjoying this moment period.

bluecoconuts

Legend
The pre-snap reads of the defense are not solely McVay or Goff. They are a team. The offense lines up early so McVay can give his take on the defensive setup. You can confirm this because we rarely snap it early and use a bunch of hard counts to expose potential blitzers quickly in the play clock.

However, Goff is well coached enough to act as an extension of McVay after 15 seconds and gets better at it every week. There were at least 3 occasions where he audibled late and correctly diagnosed where the blitz was coming from.

He still has room to improve though because he outsmarted himself on the intensional grounding play. He saw their was an overload blitz on the right side so he audibled Gurley to pick it up. After the snap, the pressure still got to him so he threw the check down. The only problem was, Gurley was his check down and he had changed his assignment pre-snap to blitz pickup, hahaha.

Definitely a bright young talent overall and he hasn’t neared his ceiling yet.

It's fucking genius to be honest, McVay can say it and Goff can see it in front of him. There's no better way to learn than in a live game, and McVay has learned how to make it a teaching moment as well. Impressive.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember being irritated with timeouts being taken to avoid delay of game penalties in the first Arizona game. Now I think I know why and am ok with it now. It’s a process and clearly they’re getting better at it. Hopefully Goff has improved to the point where he can take it the rest of the way from the 15 second mark now that the cats out of the bag.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
It's going to be a chess match. The next step (which I believe the Vikings already took) is for teams to check out of their own coverage at the 15 second mark when they know the headset is off. This means the Rams will need to mix in a healthy dose of plays designed to catch teams intentionally disguising their looks. I trust Mcvay will be a step ahead of this.
Exactly bro. Was going to post this same message but you got there first! I thought I saw the Saints do it a few times too; they checked out of coverage late and showed different stunts and fake blitzes late near the line of scrimmage to confuse Jared. McVay will have known it was coming and will have planned for it.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
It's freaking genius to be honest, McVay can say it and Goff can see it in front of him. There's no better way to learn than in a live game, and McVay has learned how to make it a teaching moment as well. Impressive.
This is part of whats so impressive about it ; he's getting a coaching session DURING a live game! What a way for him to learn.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

all defenses try not to show their hand until the ball is snapped.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
"We know that communication is going to be at a premium"

You can tell that Goff and Mcvay are also developing a very good relationship.

On a side note. Can we have a vote "Omaha or Turbo"?

I really liked when Omaha was introduced it's very interesting to see how it works in cadence and timing of plays. It's the same word but it isn't necessarily introduced the same way every time.

I see that with Turbo too! And I love it! They are mixing up the cadence and rhythm of the snap count using the same word.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Apparently Chris Simms says McVay/Goff are cheating :rolllaugh: