The ingenious strategy that allows Sean McVay to be an actual coach on the field

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/11/nfl-sean-mcvay-rams-saints-jared-goff-audibles

The ingenious strategy that allows Sean McVay to be an actual coach on the field
By: Steven Ruiz

usatsi_104401061.jpg

The most amazing development in the Rams’ historic offensive turnaround has been the evolution of Jared Goff. The second-year pro, whom many wrote off after a tough rookie season, not only looks like a different guy in the pocket, but he’s also taken command of the offense before the snap after not being very active in the pre-snap phase last season.

Here’s what Tony Romo had to say about Goff during the broadcast of the Rams-Saints game…

“Goff is doing a ton at the line of scrimmage. More than anybody I’ve seen in their second year in a long time — probably since Peyton Manning.”

Did Goff really transform into Peyton Manning over the offseason? Of course not. It’s Sean McVay who’s calling the shots before the snap. Credit goes to the Washington Post’s Mark Bullock for noticing this strategy during a “mic’d up” segment featuring Goff.

View: https://twitter.com/MarkBullockNFL/status/931204751039004674?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fftw.usatoday.com%2F2017%2F11%2Fnfl-sean-mcvay-rams-saints-jared-goff-audibles

View: https://twitter.com/NFLFilms/status/931203908344541185?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fftw.usatoday.com%2F2017%2F11%2Fnfl-sean-mcvay-rams-saints-jared-goff-audibles

McVay gets the Rams lined up quickly, leaving him enough time to assess the defense and call an audible (if necessary) before the play clock hits the 15-second mark. That’s when the headset communication between the coach and quarterback cuts off.

View: https://twitter.com/Cianaf/status/934897076152033280?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fftw.usatoday.com%2F2017%2F11%2Fnfl-sean-mcvay-rams-saints-jared-goff-audibles

We saw a couple of examples of McVay working his pre-snap magic from the sideline against the Saints. Notice how McVay is still making calls with Goff at the line of scrimmage…

(Click link at top of article and scroll down to watch video)

Goff relays McVay’s call to his teammates, and Todd Gurley finds himself wide open over the middle thanks to a great check by the coach.

McVay does it again on the next drive. This time for a touchdown…

(Click link at top of article and scroll down to watch video)

You can see McVay making his initial call, eyeing the defense for a bit then calling in the audible. Goff makes the change at the line before throwing a touchdown pass.

Old NFL coaches, like Bruce Arians for instance, complain that college coaches are doing all the work for quarterbacks when it comes to play-calling, leaving them ill-prepared when they get to the NFL.

“Seeing the guys coming out of the systems now where the coach holds a card up, the players line up, he kicks his foot and they play football,” Arians said, via Pro Football Talk. “The hardest thing for them is to get into a huddle and call a play.

They’re stuttering, they’re stammering, the guys around them don’t believe in them. That’s that leadership thing. That’s the hardest thing for these young quarterbacks who play in these systems…they have to learn how to play quarterback at this level and sometimes that’s overwhelming.”

God forbid NFL coaches actually try to make a quarterback’s job easier. Instead of complaining about the college set-up, the Rams’ 31-year-old head coach found a way to bring it to the NFL and make life for his quarterback so much easier. That’s what good coaches do.

And McVay’s team is scoring more than 30 points a game with this strategy. It will only be a matter of time before other coaches follow suit.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I just posted this clip in another thread :) Awesome clip!

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
It's going to be a chess match. The next step (which I believe the Vikings already took) is for teams to check out of their own coverage at the 15 second mark when they know the headset is off. This means the Rams will need to mix in a healthy dose of plays designed to catch teams intentionally disguising their looks. I trust Mcvay will be a step ahead of this.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was reading this last night. It shows McVays intelligence to use the system to his advantage. Jared is getting coaching on every snap, that alone has accelerated his developement imo as much as anything else this coaching staff has done. I'm just surprised more OCs aren't or haven't done this before.

We're in great hands moving forward.

KayJay

Starter
Who the F*ck wrote this trash? He see's something and communicates for three plays, and suddenly its all McVay? I didn't know McVay was the one making audibles 15 seconds before the play started. I also didn't know McVay was the one throwing the football, waiting for routes to develop or throwing intermediate routes. Didn't Cameron Jordan, the saints top rusher say he's a different quarterback? This why I said earlier this year that people hate to be wrong. Because they can't push their narrative any longer.

The only thing I regret is coming in here and even responding to this garbage. The Rams are the only team people offer a million excuses for why they win, but none when they lose. Why? Because we aren't the butt of everyone's jokes anymore. And that just eats them up inside. The media is ripe with arrogance, and no one likes to admit when their wrong. So they offer backhanded compliments, and excuses. That's fine, but leave our quarterback alone. Go bother Dak Prescott, the next "great one" you're so in love with. Mr. I can't do sh*t without Zeke.

That article was closer to a hit piece, than an actual insightful one.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
We won't be able to do this when we play up in New England again. Headsets mysteriously stop working there for some unknown reason.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
McVay can trust Wade to run the defense so his attention on the sideline can be Goff and the offense. It's really amazing how well Goff (and Case Keenum) have done sans Jeff Fisher.

All that gossip about Goff being a bust is dead and gone.

Ram65

Legend
Hasn't Goff made calls well under the 15 seconds remaining on the play clock?

I thought he gets two plays from McVay run and pass.I thought Goff makes the final call. The Rams seem to run the clock down on most plays. Something to watch.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Did this guy think mcvay was standing on the sideline silent when the rams line up early? Of course he's talking to jared in the headset.

Dumbarse journalists.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Who the F*ck wrote this trash? He see's something and communicates for three plays, and suddenly its all McVay? I didn't know McVay was the one making audibles 15 seconds before the play started. I also didn't know McVay was the one throwing the football, waiting for routes to develop or throwing intermediate routes. Didn't Cameron Jordan, the saints top rusher say he's a different quarterback? This why I said earlier this year that people hate to be wrong. Because they can't push their narrative any longer.

The only thing I regret is coming in here and even responding to this garbage. The Rams are the only team people offer a million excuses for why they win, but none when they lose. Why? Because we aren't the butt of everyone's jokes anymore. And that just eats them up inside. The media is ripe with arrogance, and no one likes to admit when their wrong. So they offer backhanded compliments, and excuses. That's fine, but leave our quarterback alone. Go bother Dak Prescott, the next "great one" you're so in love with. Mr. I can't do sh*t without Zeke.

That article was closer to a hit piece, than an actual insightful one.

Agreed, I thought the same.

Not to mention the mic cuts out at 15 seconds, and teams shift it up pre-snap well after that. Where McVay deserves cred is teaching Jared and coaching him up to the guy we see out there now. It is simply incredible how far Jared has come from what he was last season. Both he and the staff deserve cred there, but I agree it just seems like folks love to take it away from the QB when it comes to him.

It's an unfair bias, no doubt. People trying to maintain the party line of explaining why they all thought Jared was a bust prematurely.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

TexasRam

Legend
Yea and due to new cyborg remote technology Mcvay is literally controlling Goffs mechanical arm to make these pinpoint throws.

(y)

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So those other audibles... the ones made in the last 10 seconds... how does Jared know what to do?

I bet McVay uses the Shining. Or maybe the Force.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
Jared telling Clowny, (or some defensive guy) "I thought you lost a step on film... " LOL!!! :)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Nothing to complain about as long as it is legal. I would call it an accelerated learning curve. Goff is seeing and experiencing it first hand. Great idea for McVay to do things this way. Hold his hands until he can walk, then run.

I am willing to bet he did the same with Cousins, and that is how Kirk went from perennial back up to star. And it's no coincidence that a Washington reporter brought it to light.

This is the future of QB training. It gets them from the Spread offense to being a competent pro.
Belichick did this but took it one step further. When the play clock hit 15 seconds and Brady's mike went dead, a second mike turned on and Brady had coaching from a booth, up to the last second. It helped him develop into the league's best QB. But, it was cheating.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Jared telling Clowny, (or some defensive guy) "I thought you lost a step on film... " LOL!!! :)
It was Brennan Scarlett, and they played together at Cal for a couple years before Scarlett transferred to Stanford for his senior year.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Nothing to complain about as long as it is legal. I would call it an accelerated learning curve. Goff is seeing and experiencing it first hand. Great idea for McVay to do things this way. Hold his hands until he can walk, then run.

I am willing to bet he did the same with Cousins, and that is how Kirk went from perennial back up to star. And it's no coincidence that a Washington reporter brought it to light.

This is the future of QB training. It gets them from the Spread offense to being a competent pro.
Belichick did this but took it one step further. When the play clock hit 15 seconds and Brady's mike went dead, a second mike turned on and Brady had coaching from a booth, up to the last second. It helped him develop into the league's best QB. But, it was cheating.
I did not know that. Man, that team has a culture of bending the rules.