The Horrible Coaching of Sean McVay | Rams @ Bengals (2023)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
It’s my understanding Staff was forced to change the plays away from runs due what the D was presenting. LaFleur said the Bengals weren’t going to let us run.

Having said that, is anyone else taken aback with all the sudden venom toward McVay? It’s everywhere; seems like a brand new thing he’ll have to navigate, and I’m not sure it will end great for us.
And yet Williams ran for an average of 5.8yds per carry...

Just bc they try to stop it doesn't mean they can.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
The sad part is, the Bengals didnt even need to take away the run. They are very poor against the run and we never tested them. They just presented pre-snap looks that discouraged a run call and backed into coverage before/during the snap. Stafford passed so often that they were immediately backpedaling to a zone without hesitating to check a run.

I dont care what team you are. If you dont establish a run game, you will lose the majority of the time. Monday was coaching failure on an elementary level.
Exactly.

I’d actually say the opposite regarding the Bengals D. Their pass rush (& our OL) was taking away the PASS. Every drive was ending due to a their pass rush - via holding penalty, sack or INT.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame

I don't disagree. Imo sometimes they overthink things, when we just need to line the eff up and knock them backwards (like the Eagles do). I thought we'd see that more often this year with our bigger line.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Do not make simple things complicated.
1st and goal from the 3. Hostile crowd, Monday night with a team bent on revenge from their Super Bowl loss.
Ram the ball down their throat, get the TD and THE WIN.
Force the fucking issue. Don,t get cute and try and wow them with your great play calling.
Do not give them a chance to sack you star QB who if he gets hurt, we are done.
If you want to play around slinging the rock, do it with a lead. Better yet, keep running the ball and you know what coach..........
easy pass plays will come as sure as the sun is going to come up tomorrow.
The Rams are not in a situation to mess around.
I want playoffs......this year.
We can do it coach.
Run Forrest run.

muggmeister

Rookie
I know that everyone wants to pile on McVay and he is not blameless. But we got some bad breaks and unfortunate injuries at the wrong time. Personally I think we lost the game when Jackson and Boom went out. But counter that argument McVay could have gone more max protect not perfect rather have more out in the pattern but it would have compensated for Thomas' lack of ability.
Exactly, thank you. This is the same shit that got Stafford killed last year. When the fuck is McVay gonna learn that these piece of shit backups can't perform to the level of our starters? It borderlines the definition of stupidity when you repeat the same actions while expecting different results. YES, you do MAX protect or double team a very good edge rusher (Hendrickson) when your starter goes goes down. And why the hell wasn't Boom moved over there to begin with (before he got hurt)? This is turning into Mad Mike all over again. Always trying to be the smartest guy in the room when sometimes all it takes is to be thoughtful and not an inventive genius.

muggmeister

Rookie
There's like 3 threads on Sean mcvays coaching job and play calling. How is this thread any different?

Anyways, I'll pipe in, lol. Mcvay had a bad game. Everyone is entitled to them every so often. If you remember the rams had a handful of poo games their super bowl season. It's gonna happen but I have faith he'll get it together. My bigger concern is player health.
His "every so often" is becoming more and more common place.

muggmeister

Rookie

Might wanna check your math, 10 carries, 38 yards, 3.8 ave. Caught 2 of 7 targets, thought he was supposed to be our go-to receiving back, with or without Akers?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Might wanna check your math, 10 carries, 38 yards, 3.8 ave. Caught 2 of 7 targets, thought he was supposed to be our go-to receiving back, with or without Akers?

To be fair, on the 5 targets he didn't bring in, Stafford was off on a couple.

And it's a good point about the average, although one thing I've noticed about Kyren is that he rarely gets stuffed in the backfield the way Cam did. Some of that might be play design or Cam facing more fronts that sell out to stop the run, but it always seems like Kyren falls forward even on short gains.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Hmm, I guess I got wrong info. I could have sworn it was 10 for over 50 something.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
It’s my understanding Staff was forced to change the plays away from runs due what the D was presenting. LaFleur said the Bengals weren’t going to let us run.

Having said that, is anyone else taken aback with all the sudden venom toward McVay? It’s everywhere; seems like a brand new thing he’ll have to navigate, and I’m not sure it will end great for us.
I get what you’re saying, and don’t disagree, however, it seems to me that McVay could’ve modified his personnel packages to help his line with some of this and just didn’t for whatever reason.