The Horrible Coaching of Sean McVay | Rams @ Bengals (2023)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

pretty interesting video. it's 3 plays that mcvay botched and sunk the rams on mnf.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF

pretty interesting video. it's 3 plays that mcvay botched and sunk the rams on mnf.

Incorrect, they were already sunk because McVay didn’t want to run the ball. He’s going to get Stafford killed out there if he decides to go with the same play calling and blame it on execution.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I know that everyone wants to pile on McVay and he is not blameless. But we got some bad breaks and unfortunate injuries at the wrong time. Personally I think we lost the game when Jackson and Boom went out. But counter that argument McVay could have gone more max protect not perfect rather have more out in the pattern but it would have compensated for Thomas' lack of ability.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Stafford played poorly as well, but this loss is mostly on McVay. Just running the ball and then going more protection after the LT went down would have taken the pressure off Stafford.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
It’s my understanding Staff was forced to change the plays away from runs due what the D was presenting. LaFleur said the Bengals weren’t going to let us run.

Having said that, is anyone else taken aback with all the sudden venom toward McVay? It’s everywhere; seems like a brand new thing he’ll have to navigate, and I’m not sure it will end great for us.

WestCoastRam

Legend
It’s my understanding Staff was forced to change the plays away from runs due what the D was presenting. LaFleur said the Bengals weren’t going to let us run.

Having said that, is anyone else taken aback with all the sudden venom toward McVay? It’s everywhere; seems like a brand new thing he’ll have to navigate, and I’m not sure it will end great for us.
Ahem... what has McVay ever done for us?

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not that we can afford to give one away, but it's only one bad game. I think we've all seen the potential of this team, and it's pretty good... Let's see what the next few weeks look like.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There is potential for good discussion. However… Let’s not turn this into vent thread 2.0. Thanks, CGI.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is potential for good discussion. However… Let’s not turn this into vent thread 2.0. Thanks, CGI.

It seems that nobody that commented actually watched the video.

The video was about McVay's decision to run the ball on 3rd and 16 from the Rams 25 yard line with the Rams down 7. A nothing play that wasn't needed as the punter couldn't get backed up and taking a sack doesn't hurt the Rams. Wishful thinking but a dpi could also come into play.

Next drive the Rams are 3rd and 19 in the 10 yard line down 7. Mcvay decides to pass the ball where a sack would kill the Rams. Of course Stafford gets sacked and the punter has to kick quickly from the back of the endzone. Naturally the Bengals end up with great field position to kick a fg and making it a two score game. Mcvay screwed the Rams by not playing the percentages at the right time.

Finally the decision not to take a shot at fg before the 2 minute warning with the Rams only having a single timeout left. Once the Rams passed the 2 minute warning without a score the game was virtually over as nobody has managed to get the ball back on an onside kick this season.

That was it. Bonehead decisions that lost the game for the Rams. Apart from all the other stuff mentioned since the game finished.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It seems that nobody that commented actually watched the video.

The video was about McVay's decision to run the ball on 3rd and 16 from the Rams 25 yard line with the Rams down 7. A nothing play that wasn't needed as the punter couldn't get backed up and taking a sack doesn't hurt the Rams. Wishful thinking but a dpi could also come into play.

Next drive the Rams are 3rd and 19 in the 10 yard line down 7. Mcvay decides to pass the ball where a sack would kill the Rams. Of course Stafford gets sacked and the punter has to kick quickly from the back of the endzone. Naturally the Bengals end up with great field position to kick a fg and making it a two score game. Mcvay screwed the Rams by not playing the percentages at the right time.

Finally the decision not to take a shot at fg before the 2 minute warning with the Rams only having a single timeout left. Once the Rams passed the 2 minute warning without a score the game was virtually over as nobody has managed to get the ball back on an onside kick this season.

That was it. Bonehead decisions that lost the game for the Rams. Apart from all the other stuff mentioned since the game finished.

Add me to the list. I haven’t watched the video. I was in mod mode trying to make sure this thread stayed as constructive as possible with such a strong title.

It’s all good, brother. We’re here to talk the team.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Add me to the list. I haven’t watched the video. I was in mod mode trying to make sure this thread stayed as constructive as possible with such a strong title.

It’s all good, brother. We’re here to talk the team.

Yeah, it was more about Mcvay the head coach, not the play caller. These were head coaching decisions that were made to the detriment of the Rams. He has to have his head in the game as a head coach so he can plan for these things ahead of time.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler

The sad part is, the Bengals didnt even need to take away the run. They are very poor against the run and we never tested them. They just presented pre-snap looks that discouraged a run call and backed into coverage before/during the snap. Stafford passed so often that they were immediately backpedaling to a zone without hesitating to check a run.

I dont care what team you are. If you dont establish a run game, you will lose the majority of the time. Monday was coaching failure on an elementary level.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Sometimes you have to run anyway, otherwise completely one dimensional kills you. In this case it will kill our QB…so I don’t buy the 31st ranked run defense wouldn’t let us run. What if John Robinson said that every time a team stacked to box to stop Dickerson? We got bigger on the OL for a reason, start road grading some people. Are you telling me that we were able to run better against the Niners than the Bengals? Doesn’t hold up.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was not a very good coaching job. My head is still bleeding from slamming it on my desk so many times.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
There's like 3 threads on Sean mcvays coaching job and play calling. How is this thread any different?

Anyways, I'll pipe in, lol. Mcvay had a bad game. Everyone is entitled to them every so often. If you remember the rams had a handful of poo games their super bowl season. It's gonna happen but I have faith he'll get it together. My bigger concern is player health.

oldnotdead

Legend
Geez get over it. Coaches like players have bad games Who would you guys rather have coaching the Rams?

IMO the loss had more to do with the point shaving refs which probably pissed Sean off and put him off his game. No way is Tutu out of bounds and no way was the TO called before the snap. Just like when the refs allowed the Niner OL to align illegally and to frequently move before the snap yet never flagged. Too fucking obvious the fix was in.

Sean isn't the problem. The NFL is in the pocket of big gaming money. It's happening in a whole lot of games if you haven't noticed. Even players are calling it rigged.

So we as fans can accept reality or watch ping pong instead. It's not just the NFL but NBA and MLB. Welcome to the new professional sports reality.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think we win that game if the refs aren't making all their mistakes in Cincy's favor. It felt to me like the league didn't want them falling to 0-3.

Re: his conceding calls he has always done that when the offense looks shitty. I don't know what would have happened if Stafford takes shots in those situations, so not gonna get into all that.

My primary annoyance was that he was trying to win a big away game with a major tool missing from his bag. Felt like Anusrumo outcoached him too. Happens at this level.

McVay is his worst critic though so he will come back swinging I am sure.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Plenty of blame to go around. Stafford misfired a number of times. Not running near the goal line was a coaching mistake. Not giving an overmatched left tackle help was another.