The "Here We Go Again" Attitude

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexRamFan

Rookie
It's a losers thing, it spreads like a deadly disease in crowded subway in one of those awful horror movies. You get down and you say "here we go again". And before you know it your 3-13, picking in the top 5 and banking your hopes on the next season only to repeat the process over again.

Unfortunately, I see this look, body language and vibe in this team again and I just do not get it. It turned around so fast. You saw it in Bradfords body language and efforts as the game progressed.

Am I the only one that thought the first couple drives looked o.k.? They weren't great but they were a minor improvement (minus the running game or lack there of). They got a few first downs, moved the chains. Missed an easy TD and settled for a FG that gave them the lead.

However, the interception happens on a horrible 3rd and 1 call and the downspiral begins.

Defense gave in, offense had a horrible look to it almost as if they didnt care.

My point is this...Bradford I would hope would be our leader on the field. Youngsters who come into this system take on the attitude of that leader on the field and in the locker room. But when I watch Bradford go to the sidelines, pick up the photos of the last few defensive coverage schemes, take maybe a 5 second look at the book then hand it back to one of the assitants and shake his head what kind of leader is that? What is he doing to prevent this "here we go again" vibe? What is he teaching the youngsters?

The OC is sitting right next to him, the backup QB is next to him yet they just sit there with blank stares on their face ignoring each other like they both have that deadly disease and it could be contagious. The sad thing is.....THE SCORE IS 7-3 at that time!

Next time you watch the Broncos watch Manning take a look at that picture book. The OC is there, the backup QB is there, the line is there. Manning is pointing stuff out looking for a way to take advantage of the D.

Now, I am not saying Sam is Manning or could be. I am simply pointing out that I believe whoever is the leader on this team is spreading this horrible infectious "here we go again" vibe. I am not trying to single out Sam or say it is him, it might be someone else. Perhaps Sam learned this when he stepped in as a Rookie and it could be fixable if it is him. But until it is fixed, every single thing that goes wrong will continue to spiral into loss after loss after loss. No matter what scheme we run, who our coach is, how many fans show up to cheer or what weapons we have.

I just wish I could do something to fix it!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This is why animated gifs are the devil. We're able to now discern that he's not a leader because we get a cursory look at a 2 second clip of him with a book. Maybe if we saw the other 2 hours, 59 minutes and 58 seconds of his interactions on the sidelines, we might get a better understanding of his attitude last night. But probably not even then.

I've seen Manning in adverse situations like that. I've seen him call out his own center on the sidelines when it wasn't even his center's fault that the game was going south. Let's try not to draw parallels based on an animated gif, because nothing good can come of that and nobody here is a mindreader.

TexRamFan

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
This is why animated gifs are the devil. We're able to now discern that he's not a leader because we get a cursory look at a 2 second clip of him with a book. Maybe if we saw the other 2 hours, 59 minutes and 58 seconds of his interactions on the sidelines, we might get a better understanding of his attitude last night. But probably not even then.

I've seen Manning in adverse situations like that. I've seen him call out his own center on the sidelines when it wasn't even his center's fault that the game was going south. Let's try not to draw parallels based on an animated gif, because nothing good can come of that and nobody here is a mindreader.

In all due respect, this has nothing to do with the animated 2 second gif you are referring to.

This is a culmination of what I pay attention to at games. Its a habit of mine to watch the players especially on offense as they come off the field and take to the bench. I did it at the home opener (the first half the offense didn't seem together, but the second half they started talking more together) I attended and I did it at the Dallas game. The Dallas game was the most telling and got me thinking about it. They just seemed down and beat from the get go. Very little communication. Fisher and Co. convinced me it was just a bad game and I wrote it off.

Last night, they showed the clip on T.V. and it really got me thinking...that's all. I am not the type to make a rash judgement based on a 2 second T.V. gif clip, be a negative Nancy or player basher. Just questioning what I have seen, that's all.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
TexRamFan said:
X said:

In all due respect, this has nothing to do with the animated 2 second gif you are referring to.

This is a culmination of what I pay attention to at games. Its a habit of mine to watch the players especially on offense as they come off the field and take to the bench. I did it at the home opener (the first half the offense didn't seem together, but the second half they started talking more together) I attended and I did it at the Dallas game. The Dallas game was the most telling and got me thinking about it. They just seemed down and beat from the get go. Very little communication. Fisher and Co. convinced me it was just a bad game and I wrote it off.

Last night, they showed the clip on T.V. and it really got me thinking...that's all. I am not the type to make a rash judgement based on a 2 second T.V. gif clip, be a negative Nancy or player basher. Just questioning what I have seen, that's all.
Fair enough.

I just don't put a lot of stock into Bradford's emotional displays on the sidelines in a game that has absolutely zero working for him while the opportunities he does have, he doesn't execute either. A person's personality is a person's personality. Some QBs will freak out on the sidelines, some will look exacerbated, others will sulk. To hope for them to do anything different is unrealistic if that's who they are. I wish I could be much more calm and rational in heated situations, but I lose my mind each and every time without fail. Even when I try to stay calm, it doesn't last long at all. I hate that about myself, but I can't change it. I'm guessing Bradford isn't going to morph into someone like me anymore than I could morph into someone like him.

TexRamFan

Rookie
X said:
TexRamFan said:
X said:

Fair enough.

I just don't put a lot of stock into Bradford's emotional displays on the sidelines in a game that has absolutely zero working for him while the opportunities he does have, he doesn't execute either. A person's personality is a person's personality. Some QBs will freak out on the sidelines, some will look exacerbated, others will sulk. To hope for them to do anything different is unrealistic if that's who they are. I wish I could be much more calm and rational in heated situations, but I lose my mind each and every time without fail. Even when I try to stay calm, it doesn't last long at all. I hate that about myself, but I can't change it. I'm guessing Bradford isn't going to morph into someone like me anymore than I could morph into someone like him.

I agree 100% with everything you touched on.

And I am not asking him to change who he is or how he handles his emotions or personality. And to be honest I have always thought Bradford has been excellent in the fourth quarter of the few close games he has been in. Part of the reason for that may be his way of keeping his emotions in check.

I shouldnt have brought Bradfords name up so much in my post, but being a QB and what many say is the leader of the offense or team and seeing this lack of continuity on the sidelines in the offense game in and game out just got me wondering. My point of my post was not so much on how he handles himself or his emotions, it was more questioning who is the leader of this offense?

Schotty?

Bradford?

One of the veterens on the OLine?

I probably did come off a little harsh (my emotions taking over) and I admit that. But who is gonna step up and get this team together and help right this ship? Because without that, that "here we go again attitude" will keep spreading and resurfacing in games.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
TexRamFan said:
I probably did come off a little harsh (my emotions taking over) and I admit that. But who is gonna step up and get this team together and help right this ship? Because without that, that "here we go again attitude" will keep spreading and resurfacing in games.
Nah. You didn't. I'm in my normal defensive emotional state after a bad game again. You'd think I'd be accustomed to that by now, yeah? FWIW, I was in that "here we go again" mindset by the half, and I hate that feeling. My first instinct and reaction is to make light of the situation as a way to mask the rage in my heart, and it's a nice diversionary tactic, but it only lasts for so long. Come morning, when I have to dig up quotes, news, video, and audio for this forum, it becomes very exhausting and demoralizing. I'm tired of pumping this team up all off-season, and then week in and week out, only to have to be let down by them. It's depressing, and this love affair has been completely one-sided for far too long.

If the Rams were a new woman every year, I'd have already turned gay. :?!:

TexRamFan

Rookie
X said:
FWIW, I was in that "here we go again" mindset by the half, and I hate that feeling. My first instinct and reaction is to make light of the situation as a way to mask the rage in my heart, and it's a nice diversionary tactic, but it only lasts for so long.

My first instict is to drink and drink until I no longer have that "here we go again" mindset or feeling. But since it was a Thursday night and I did not have long to recover I decided against it. Now instead of a hangover and that feeling, I just have that feeling. I almost wish I had a hangover so I had something to mask the "here we go again" feeling. It SUCKS!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:

X, I appreciate your homerism. You are the consummate homer. It's amazing to watch. It an art we should all aspire to.

But the OP's post is a valid concern. We've all seen it, and we're seeing it again. It's a problem, and I don't know if it stems from Sam's personality, or if he is just so frustrated with all that he's been through that he's given up.

We need an intervention from outside ourselves right now. I don't know what that is, or where that should come from, but the personalities inside the Rams building do not have the ability to fix our issues.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Dude wait what?

Sam isn't the problem, replace the quarterback fine, but it doesn't matter.

This team ... they are not worth a decent quarterback.

Free Sam Bradford, let him move on. He will succeed elsewhere. There is no doubt of that in my mind. The haters can hate as he cuts the lambs into pieces every time he plays them.

At the start of the season, we had no run game sure, but we could protect the quarterback well.

Now look at them. Both starting tackles out. We still can't run and now we can't protect the quarterback either. You can have all the skill players in the universe and it won't matter if you can't, you just can't buy them time. Not with play action, not with anything.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Zaphod said:
Free Sam Bradford, let him move on. He will succeed elsewhere. There is no doubt of that in my mind. The haters can hate as he cuts the lambs into pieces every time he plays them.
While I don't endorse the use of the word "lambs", that's a valid point. If Bradford was on a team that could block, with an OC who was able to actually scheme, and he faced our defense, he would absolutely murder us.

iced

X said:

i think this has more to do with Leadership than Gifs.

It's no secret, especially if you listened to the game, that Laurinitias had the Defense fired up and ready to rock..As well as Chris Long. And in between drives, they were walking up and down the side line, pumping up the D...

I think that's the difference - it's obvious we have leadership on D, many question where it comes from on offense.. the players say it's Sam, but I don't see the communication/interaction one should have after struggling like they did... Hell after so many 3 & out's I would have expected the offense to be in other's faces, trying to fix the shit...not just sitting on the bench waiting for the offense to come out again

ramfaninfla

nothin' left to do but SMILE, SMILE, SMILE!!!
Re: The "Here We Go Again" Attitude

TexRamFan said...This is a culmination of what I pay attention to at games. Its a habit of mine to watch the players especially on offense as they come off the field and take to the bench. I did it at the home opener (the first half the offense didn't seem together, but the second half they started talking more together) I attended and I did it at the Dallas game. The Dallas game was the most telling and got me thinking about it. They just seemed down and beat from the get go. Very little communication. Fisher and Co. convinced me it was just a bad game and I wrote it off.

I have too agree 100% with this. I was also there for those 2 game (plus Atlanta also). I'm tired of seeing this team come off the field not pissed! I looked to see how they act on the sidelines after a dropped pass/3 and out/interception/long drive for td/easy scores given up ect....constructive criticism with an attitude would be a welcome site on the sidelines. Somebody anybody please stand up on both sides of the ball and say enough already. :grr:

Graphicker

Starter
What does our attitude towards our team matters? Non of the high praises nor expectations with positive attitude worked.

This isn't a5th grade whose doing bad in school and needs positive reinforcement. These are millionaires being paid a lot of money

to win games. These are elite athletes out there. Our attitude literally means zero as we can't tell them a thing and they don't care about

our opinions. These are grown men putting up a shitty effort week in and out with no hope of finding a solution.

If I were to do this crappy in my job(trucking company-dispatcher) my ass would be in the streets.

There is no sense of urgency or desperation in this team, Sam Bradford looks like he want's a fucking wanna get a way southwest airline commercial. WE SUCK..

What is me going all patty cake going to do for this team? Other than temper my anger, Anger in which I unleash to the people I love the most :lol: :lol: :lol:

TexRamFan

Rookie
iced said:
X said:

i think this has more to do with Leadership than Gifs.

It's no secret, especially if you listened to the game, that Laurinitias had the Defense fired up and ready to rock..As well as Chris Long. And in between drives, they were walking up and down the side line, pumping up the D...

I think that's the difference - it's obvious we have leadership on D, many question where it comes from on offense.. the players say it's Sam, but I don't see the communication/interaction one should have after struggling like they did... Hell after so many 3 & out's I would have expected the offense to be in other's faces, trying to fix the shyte...not just sitting on the bench waiting for the offense to come out again

Did you notice how Mayock said last night that JL55 and Chris Long along with an unknown player on Special Teams all held private player only meetings this week to discuss what is going on, yet he mentioned nothing about the offense? As if they offense didn't even get together? Now he could of just forgot to mention this, but is still makes me wonder.

Along with the tell tale signs of what is going on the sidelines, what really bothers me is the body language of that offense especially in the second half. They were just going through the motions. The 3rd quarter was just miserable. Snap, quick throw, drop or overthrow. Repeat 3 time and punt.

That is what gets to me and I think that has to do with leadership and someone saying "this is enough, let's man up and get this done". Leaders do that in different ways. You can be a silent leader who leads by actions or you can be an emotional leader who expresses frustrations, yells and commands. I don't care what kind of leader you are. But if it is Sam this has to be a concern because no matter how much talent you have and no matter how much you "work on things" at practice, you have no hope turning around a losing franchise without some leadership skills.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I think the fans are already in that mode. Basically very little talk on either of the Rams boards I frequent. There's some venting but I expected to wake up this morning and see the boards exploded with upset fans.

As far as Bradford, it's hard to say what his approach should be. If he yelled at everyone who made a mistake he would be too hoarse to call the plays in the huddle. And in reality, he hasn't earned the right to take the "you better not screw up or I'll kill you" approach. If Peyton does it, guys listen. If Weeden does it, who cares? Bradford's, sadly, more in the Weeden boat.

Last night was a bad night for me for many reasons but most of all it crystallized for me that the Rams are definitely repeating the vicious cycle. Fisher is a re-tread that is past his prime and his coordinators aren't fit to be at the NFL level. So, my hope and faith in this year is dead and I'm expecting the Rams to be picking very early in next year's draft.

Maybe I'll be wrong and things will turn out a lot better than I think but we all know that "feeling". You hope and hope that you're wrong or that you're overreacting but deep down, you know what's coming.

TexRamFan

Rookie
moklerman said:
I think the fans are already in that mode. Basically very little talk on either of the Rams boards I frequent. There's some venting but I expected to wake up this morning and see the boards exploded with upset fans.

As far as Bradford, it's hard to say what his approach should be. If he yelled at everyone who made a mistake he would be too hoarse to call the plays in the huddle. And in reality, he hasn't earned the right to take the "you better not screw up or I'll kill you" approach. If Peyton does it, guys listen. If Weeden does it, who cares? Bradford's, sadly, more in the Weeden boat.

Last night was a bad night for me for many reasons but most of all it crystallized for me that the Rams are definitely repeating the vicious cycle. Fisher is a re-tread that is past his prime and his coordinators aren't fit to be at the NFL level. So, my hope and faith in this year is dead and I'm expecting the Rams to be picking very early in next year's draft.

Maybe I'll be wrong and things will turn out a lot better than I think but we all know that "feeling". You hope and hope that you're wrong or that you're overreacting but deep down, you know what's coming.

I have thought and thought about this and I would love to hear what others think. How come last year, mainly on D because our O sucked for the most part (insert Schotty hatred here), did we not have an official D coordinator and our D seemed to flourish. They were not awesome but they were good and competetive. But they played with passion and intensity. They had an attitude. This year I see none of that. Almost the opposite really.

Is it Fisher lack on influence on the D. You here all the insiders say how he never micro-manages. Did he have more influence on them last year?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
What are Bradford, Clemens and Schott supposed to talk about?

How much the offense isn't working? How it didn't work for Clemens either? Or Sanchez, the fact that Schott's playbook just isn't that good?

What's Bradford supposed to say? Maybe if we run this bland play things'll get better? Or maybe if we run this boring draw Richardson won't run right into a pile and get 1 yard at best, maybe if we call more slants and curls we might catch them sleeping and peel off a 100 yard TD since we're always on the 1 because our ST is full of idiots who apparently were never taught how to block properly or not be beaten by even the most average of gunners. Or maybe he'll ask Schottenheimer why he's just not good in the first place?

Just like you can only blame the coaches for so much, you can only blame the players for so much.

There's not much the offense can do when they're not being utilized properly, nobody's being used to their strengths and we're just trying to force ourselves into being something we're not.

Nobody in our offense is thriving, that falls on the coach. Even in the most abysmal situations something on offense thrives if the OC is good enough. Schottenheimer is quelling everyone.

Givens, Austin, Cook, everyone is being stifled by his general awfulness. He's just not a good OC, never has been, never will be.

Fisher is the only one in the world who ever praised him after the Jets finally told him they had enough of him, he's a relic of the past trying to force his offense into the new world.

I can't knock Bradford for expressing frustration on a playbook that has not only not worked for multiple QBs, but didn't even work for the guy sitting right across from him.

Not even the backup can make something out of this, what makes you think this is a good playbook?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I really get the frustration here. I am just going to say that Sam showed frustration that I really would expect. And IMO, his frustration was that he looked at the same shit that isn't working and is being forced to try to fit a size 12 foot in a size six shoe. He can look at it and know it ain't gonna fit. THAT was obvious. And again IMO - This offense doesn't fit these players. Spread it the fuck out, throw in some changes in tempo, or find someone who will. Pretty clear Sam wanted to throw the playbook on the ground. Maybe that would have brought home the point a bit.

TexRamFan

Rookie
RamFan503 said:
I really get the frustration here. I am just going to say that Sam showed frustration that I really would expect. And IMO, his frustration was that he looked at the same shyte that isn't working and is being forced to try to fit a size 12 foot in a size six shoe. He can look at it and know it ain't gonna fit. THAT was obvious. And again IMO - This offense doesn't fit these players. Spread it the freak out, throw in some changes in tempo, or find someone who will. Pretty clear Sam wanted to throw the playbook on the ground. Maybe that would have brought home the point a bit.

I couldnt have put it much better. Well said.

Although I wish he would pull an Aaron Rodgers and go off on Schotty the way Rodgers did on McCarthy.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
TexRamFan said:
RamFan503 said:
I really get the frustration here. I am just going to say that Sam showed frustration that I really would expect. And IMO, his frustration was that he looked at the same shyte that isn't working and is being forced to try to fit a size 12 foot in a size six shoe. He can look at it and know it ain't gonna fit. THAT was obvious. And again IMO - This offense doesn't fit these players. Spread it the freak out, throw in some changes in tempo, or find someone who will. Pretty clear Sam wanted to throw the playbook on the ground. Maybe that would have brought home the point a bit.

I couldnt have put it much better. Well said.

Although I wish he would pull an Aaron Rodgers and go off on Schotty the way Rodgers did on McCarthy.

Rodgers is a Super Bowl winner and has consistently been in the tops of every QB category since he became the Packers starting QB.

When he says something, it has merit, it has depth, people actually listen.

Sam Bradford doesn't even have half as much, if he went off he'd more than likely be immediately accused of being a diva, not a team player, selfish etc etc.

Unfortunately to be able to act on your frustrations in the NFL you need to have proven something, doesn't matter if you've never been put in the wheel house to prove it.