The Gregg williams file, 'nough said!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

1888749_10152843135128484_1919168489_n.jpg

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Okay, what are his average defense rankings over his career? I think that will tell us how great he actually is.

PhxRam

Williams’ defenses, on average, have ranked:
  • 14th in scoring D
  • 14th in total D
  • 17th in Defensive Passer Rating

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
  • 14th in scoring D
  • 14th in total D

That's decent and since it's an average ya gotta figure some of those year he coached teams with zero pro bowl caliber athletes,I think we have 5 as of now possibly 6. Again I said CALIBER
JJ
Brockers
Ogltree
Quinn
and 1or 2 of
Tru'
McDonald
Long

IMO he can get us and keep us in the top 10 with that talent and some years we'll break the top 5

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • 14th in scoring D
  • 14th in total D

While the numbers don't seem great, I'll say right now...don't judge a book by its cover(not to you, Phx...this is directed generally).

Every knowledgeable fan I've talked to from a team that Williams coordinated spoke very highly of him. The guy is one hell of a hire. He'll get our boys playing up to their potential and we all can agree they have plenty of potential. Guy is a great tactician, he's aggressive(we desperately need this) and he makes players want to run through a wall for him.

I know Matt Bowen, who played safety for him and is now a sports writer, thought the world of the guy.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yeah , I wish we'd have gotten him as our HC back when,but he wanted to be paid,what a concept:eek:

If Kroenke had been the owner,rest assured we'd have landed him and that ladies and germs is why Ram fans young and old should be optimistic.

Psycho_X

Legend
  • 14th in scoring D
  • 14th in total D

Does these averages include his years in Buffalo as a head coach. From what I recall he inherited an awful team that had like bottom of the barrel defenses that probably really screw with his averages heh.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Okay, I've changed my mind. How much did his teams IMPROVE every year that he was there?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He's one of those guys that if he has the right type of players, and they don't have to be superstars they just have to be able to follow orders in the scheme, he can put very good defenses on the field. Not comparing the two guys but it's like Martz, if he has the exact right kind of guys the system works well and if not it doesn't. That's what I get out of Williams history. He has had so-so defenses and some very good ones.

He is also dangerous with his team in the lead. I saw a graphic when he was in NO awhile back that showed some stats that were pretty impressive. As we know he's aggressive and it was proven by the numbers they showed.

jjab360

Legend
It stands to reason that Williams might have more talent to work with on the Rams than he's ever had before.

xander47

Rookie
I'm just wondering if anyone knows how well Williams' defenses do well against running QBs. I've never been a fan of getting too blitz happy against running style QBs.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I'm just wondering if anyone knows how well Williams' defenses do well against running QBs. I've never been a fan of getting too blitz happy against running style QBs.

I believe it will still be Fishers D, but with GW callin the shots. The Rams D has done better than mosr against running QBs and I only expect that to improve with a more aggressive attacking D. The read option will not be an option against the Rams if you want your QB to finish the game.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
I'm expecting that GW will see the film and maybe add a wrinkle but have a "don't fix it if it aint broke" take on the gameplan.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Heck of a SB story if we get there. The irony of Fisher the Rams's coach, the "dirty defense" headline with Williams's face on the cover, Bradford being the comeback player of the year, Brasford shutting the haters up, the youngest team to ever win the big one... oh there's so much more. Juicy!!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here's what I like; he's seen it all.

He talks about adjusting and evolving... That's where his experience kicks in.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Heck of a SB story if we get there. The irony of Fisher the Rams's coach, the "dirty defense" headline with Williams's face on the cover, Bradford being the comeback player of the year, Brasford shutting the haters up, the youngest team to ever win the big one... oh there's so much more. Juicy!!!
I'm not sure if we've ever had another case of a coach facing a team in the Super Bowl and then later becoming coach of that team he faced.

I agree it would be a story... especially if that Super Bowl ended up Rams vs Titans.

That said, I think Bradford could throw for 10,000 yards and 100 TDs and the haters would still be there. For the ones I've seen (not here), it's not about rational reasons anymore.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Know what I am loving, he is coming in to work with a top 15 defense basically. Not a 32nd ranked or a low ranked defense. So instead of taking a really bad defense and bringing it to the middle of the pack, he is coming in to a middle of the pack defense and is gonna be able to fine tune it and raise it to a top 5. We we're a top half defense with Walton running the show, it is going to be so much better now with Williams.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Know what I am loving, he is coming in to work with a top 15 defense basically. Not a 32nd ranked or a low ranked defense. So instead of taking a really bad defense and bringing it to the middle of the pack, he is coming in to a middle of the pack defense and is gonna be able to fine tune it and raise it to a top 5. We we're a top half defense with Walton running the show, it is going to be so much better now with Williams.
No kidding GW will have an IMPACT here.

BTW Rob Ryan got the best job in the NFL that Saints D was legendary before he got there;)