The good, the bad, and the ugly

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
If the momentum carried him in to the EZ, he could have downed it there for a touchback, no?
Yes.
However, and I'm going off of memory here.....couldn't find video of the KO....if memory serves he one foot that hit the goal line. He could have taken another step into the endzone....he was never fully in the endzone....so he would be risking a judgement call from the ref. if he let the ball go he is again risking a bounce that would lead to a dead ball or a touchback.
I don't see another option than the return.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes.
However, and I'm going off of memory here.....couldn't find video of the KO....if memory serves he one foot that hit the goal line. He could have taken another step into the endzone....he was never fully in the endzone....so he would be risking a judgement call from the ref. if he let the ball go he is again risking a bounce that would lead to a dead ball or a touchback.
I don't see another option than the return.
I honestly don't know if that's a rule or an interpretation. But he clearly caught it and the ball and both feet crossed the end zone line. If he takes a knee and Tampa gets a safety, then the crap would really hit the fan
My takeaway on that play was that it was a perfectly place kick and if it could be duplicated, you'd kick it like that every time!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Game certainly could have gone either way. We didn't play a clean game by any stretch but we had a few big plays on both sides of the field to make up for what really was another pretty poor offensive performance.

We will need to play better than this to get a W against Arizona. And I want that W.

fearsomefour

Legend
I honestly don't know if that's a rule or an interpretation. But he clearly caught it and the ball and both feet crossed the end zone line. If he takes a knee and Tampa gets a safety, then the crap would really hit the fan
My takeaway on that play was that it was a perfectly place kick and if it could be duplicated, you'd kick it like that every time!
If both feet were in the endzone he should have downed it.
The momentum of the kick carrying into the endzone is the rule.
It was a great kick that worked because he was playing up to guard against the pooch. So running back 15 yards to fiend the kick....it all worked out.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
image.gif

The RAMS won

image.gif

The RAMS defense looked...bad...

image.gif

This team cannot put a nail in the coffin.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Disagree about Austin being at fault on the kick off.
They were playing for a pooch kick off. He had to retreat to catch the ball and his momentum carried him over the goal line. By not fielding the the ball he would running the risk of a loose ball going to Tampa. It was the only play he had.
Bad call by our coaches, then. With the new rules, teams are well practiced at kicking it high in the air to about the five. Happens in every game, an easy kick. They should've had a guy at each level, not just Tavon at the twenty, stupid.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ask @BonifayRam & @Florida_Ram about that Florida sun....and humidity....the defense looked worn out...The rushers were gassed....I had to watch Aaron Donald on 3 plays to see what the hell he was doing...and he was gassed. As I looked around at the entire defense, guys were huffing and puffing...no excuses, but that's what it looked like to me, the sunshine state took it's toll on the defense...and sorry, when the O puts that many 3 & outs, short drives, back to back out there, that's gonna happen...
I am sure the loss of Eugene Sims very early hurt the rotation plans on that DL. This is not new for DE Sims he has a record.

In spite of what Mojo Ram thinks on this dry heat vs wet heat conversation..... this humid Florida September heat is still dangerous for us big guys like our DL'ers. I was born in southern CA. & know the difference. I spent over a month in UT & AZ Canyon lands RV'ing & playing outside for over a month in July & yes it was Hot but It was wonderful in comparison to what it was like when I returned back to Fl. I will gladly take the western heat any day over this thick steamy hot wet humid deep south stuff:sick:. I would leave this state but the winters & low cost taxes are heaven:love:.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Rams cannot rely upon poor kicking performances each week. The Bucs have got to be sick about that 2nd round trade up for a kicker. They win if he does his job.

And, OMG, if Fisher's awful 2 point conversion decision would have cost this team that game, he should have been fired on the spot, IMO.

Last edited:

Curt760

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Curt760
Defense, bend not break idea never looks good on paper except for maybe points allowed but even that good offensive teams finds ways to score. CBs, I like Hill and hopefully Gaines will come back as good as he was before his injuries. They give up a lot ground and I'm hoping it's just the defensive scheme and if so scheme sucks. I think our cb's can cover given the chance.

fearsomefour

Legend
Bad call by our coaches, then. With the new rules, teams are well practiced at kicking it high in the air to about the five. Happens in every game, an easy kick. They should've had a guy at each level, not just Tavon at the twenty, stupid.
The primary is to protect vs the onside kick.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams cannot rely upon poor kicking performances each week. The Bucs have got to be sick about that 2nd round trade up for a kicker. They win if he does his job.

And, OMG, if Fisher's awful 2 point conversion decision would have cost this team that game, he should have been fired on the spot, IMO.

Now sure if the Bucs win with a FG and extra point that is 4 points, Rams won by 5, although they would have been in position to just kick a FG to win it, but that would've changed the defensive calls as well.

Agree on the two point conversation, not sure the reasoning for going for it at that time.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Now sure if the Bucs win with a FG and extra point that is 4 points, Rams won by 5, although they would have been in position to just kick a FG to win it, but that would've changed the defensive calls as well.

Agree on the two point conversation, not sure the reasoning for going for it at that time.

I don't think anyone understood the 2 point conv. decision on Fishers part. Maybe his math was off? lol

My thinking is he wanted to keep the Defense off the field for as long as possible because they were gassed. I'm pretty sure God saved this team yesterday with the Rain delay, they were done!

ausmurp

Starter
If the momentum carried him in to the EZ, he could have downed it there for a touchback, no?

What?! No. You can only touchback if you catch it in the end zone and don't come out of it. How do you not know this? Same for college football.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
GOOD NEWS!Prediction:Rams 8 QB sacks/10 QB Hurries.Carson Palmer is a 36 year old statue in the pocket, and pressure really gives him problems when it moves him off his spot,and Palmer is not a mobile quarterback.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
What?! No. You can only touchback if you catch it in the end zone and don't come out of it. How do you not know this? Same for college football.
Like most NFL rules it's not that simple:

NFL Rule Book Section 5 SAFETY
Exceptions: It is not a safety: ... (2) If a [player] catches [a] scrimmage kick ... and his original momentum carries him into his end zone where the ball is declared dead in his team’s possession. The ball belongs to the defensive team at the spot where the ball was ... caught ...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
4. The Rams won on the road, outside the West, and after an emotional win against the Hawks.
This is all I need to read.

Wasn't able to watch it but, perhaps that's a blessing in disguise... can't overthink anything.

Big test coming up!

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Did this come up yet in any post-game press conference? Even if Fisher won't answer, I hope some reporter asks it. I honestly can't think of any way to justify it, and I'm one of those people that think teams should go for two every time!