The Fisher won't draft a QB theory

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Heck, if no one else will say it I will, this team has been brought along to make it's splash when the new stadium is built. Has been all along really.

I don't think that's been the strategy. 8 year rebuild?

No.

The Rams want to make a splash in the new stadium, no doubt. But winning now and selling tickets for that stadium would be the splash they want.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I don't think that's been the strategy. 8 year rebuild?

No.

The Rams want to make a splash in the new stadium, no doubt. But winning now and selling tickets for that stadium would be the splash they want.
Not an eight year rebuild, but Kroenke was shopping for land and negotiating for it with an eye towards stability with the current coaching staff with a plan in mind.

But bad things happened to our previous player at the "most important position" right?

I know fans want to upgrade at the media obsessed over quarterback slot, but it doesn't mean they'll placate.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Heck, if no one else will say it I will, this team has been brought along to make it's splash when the new stadium is built. Has been all along really.

i think they wanted to win bad. then sam got injured twice which put a huge spanner in the works, especially in 2014 which should have been the break out year. they tried to fix it last season with foles. i would have preferred they stuck with sam and brought in competition but that's the route they took. huge failure but who was to know foles would end up producing the worst season by a starting qb in the history of the league. and here we are now with the rams seemingly stagnant. all we can do is hope for the best.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do see a lot of commonality among the posts here when it comes to Stan. His number one objective remains transparently clear; to make a lot of money. An obvious comment, yes, as this is the objective of all owners. But it seems a little bit different with Stan.

Aside from the move to LA, his is attempt to capture international markets by sending the team abroad more than any other team speaks to this. The timing of "Hardknocks" does as well. It's all about capturing the largest market and sales with Stan. Would be tough to argue otherwise and most everyone seems to agree.

Stan obviously stands behinds his coaches more than most owners. I wasn't aware of the Arsenal situation (so thanks) and one could argue Fisher wouldn't be given this upcoming year in many markets. I just think Stan is giving the regime the "on the field results" pass as the transition comes to fruition.

Personally, I think the field results are going to become increasingly important to Stan real soon. Not because of us fans on the forum boards, but because of the "splash" CGI and others reference. If you want to capture maximum market share in a new venue, produce a fascinating (and winning) product, right?

So coming full circle, what are the new fans going to be excited about if the Rams have a mediocre year (say 9-7) with our current stable of QB's at the helm going into their second season in LA? No doubt the fans will still come to the game as the product is new, but there is also no doubt that bringing back Fisher and that group of QB's is not the best way to "sell" or "market" a fascinating (and perhaps winning) product. Heck, at that juncture we would be hard pressed to find a modern-history example of a coach returning with such futility (and I'm a Snisher supporter); and he wouldn't have addressed the most important position on the field after 6 years at the helm. Even for Stan, that's hard to market to a new fan base.

I'm repeating myself, but it's why I think the regime must address a long-term, upside QB that can provide some hope and marketability....despite the opinions of all of us "forum GM's" and what we think in terms of the ability of the current crop of QB's on the roster or the potential of those in the draft.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm repeating myself, but it's why I think the regime must address a long-term, upside QB that can provide some hope and marketability....despite the opinions of all of us "forum GM's" and what we think in terms of the ability of the current crop of QB's on the roster or the potential of those in the draft.
IMO, that marketability and excitement is only going to come if they move up to the top and take Wentz or Goff. I don't think the needle moves much if they let a QB fall to them, even if it's Paxton Lynch. Certainly won't matter if it's Connor Cook. You can generate just as much excitement and anticipation with the fan base if you take the top receiver, and the needle moves more if you take two. And ultimately, the record matters most. If they are indeed smarter than us, and have evaluated Sean Mannion correctly, then this draft, and how they attacked it, won't matter all that much in the long term.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Rams only have six picks in this draft. Moving up to draft a QB and lose one or two for a guy that wouldn't be in the top 20 in any other draft and then sit on the bench for a year when they already have a 3rd rounder from last year sitting on the bench doesn't make much sense. I'm not happy with the Rams QB situation, but resigned to that fact they're going to go with what they have. Keenum to start, find out what they have in Mannion and see if they can resurrect Foles career.
I'd still draft a QB this year, as next yr's crop don't look so good right now.... but, I would NOT pay a ransom to move up in this draft for one. we NEED every pick we have right now.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I get people being down on Foles but to completely write off our two young Qbs seems knee jerk at best and down right foolish at the worst.
You're going to have to give someone time to develop if you want a new QB to be successful.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
IMO, that marketability and excitement is only going to come if they move up to the top and take Wentz or Goff. I don't think the needle moves much if they let a QB fall to them, even if it's Paxton Lynch. Certainly won't matter if it's Connor Cook. You can generate just as much excitement and anticipation with the fan base if you take the top receiver, and the needle moves more if you take two. And ultimately, the record matters most. If they are indeed smarter than us, and have evaluated Sean Mannion correctly, then this draft, and how they attacked it, won't matter all that much in the long term.

***My apologies if this quote thing didn't work; pretty sure I don't know what I'm doing!

X- Interesting take. We differ on Lynch. IMO, it has to be a top 3 QB. None of the others will generate much of anything in terms of anticipation/marketability or excitement. I include Lynch not because I like him, but because he's widely regarded as not being ready this year and as having as high a ceiling as any other QB in the class. Fans and management alike could watch Keenum/Mannion for a year or two knowing they are developing a potential franchise QB (Rams QB development jokes inserted here, of course). That's exciting. More exciting than a WR that does or does not pan out. Even if the WR does pan out, we potentially win a few more games (perhaps propelling us to the playoffs on the backs of great D/ST), but still leaves a hole moving forward at the most important position.

QB's and WR's in Round 1 have similar bust rates over time, yet franchise QB's have far more value IMO.....including their marketability.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we need to do everything we can to nab a QB in this Draft. I Honestly think Fishers job is safe at least until we move into stans new playground (barring a 16-0 1-15 debacle) .. so do the trade for the guy you want .. let rookie take his lumps manage draft (less picks due to trade) and free agency (make a few splashes to stay competitive ) and by the time the move to the new home is done and dusted we will have a young QB with some experience hopefully the core of our team intact and ready to push on for playoffs and superbowls