The Film Room: Todd Gurley and Tavon Austin vs the Steelers, Cardinals, & Packers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This guy gets it. He sees what many of us see, which is an offense that is really close, and that we need a better go to receiver.

Thanks for posting @TheDYVKX

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I hate about this video is that he shows us what Fisher and Ciggi refuse to grasp, give TA the damn ball. HE's your go to guy, NOT Cook.

Even this guy seems clueless to the fact that coaching isn't giving him the ball more, he's just making more out of it. 3 games with 5 touches, same as last season, we lost all 3. 2 games with more than 5 touches, we won both.

70 plays against GB and TA gets 5? FIVE?! Our most explosive WR got the ball 7% of the plays?!

Let's try Gurley 50% and TA 20% and see what happens.

on 3rd downs, how about a little stedman "good hands" bailey ?? i cannot believe that cook bailed on his route. did he play after that?? should've grabbed some pine for that nonsense. a good day will be when that contract is off the rams' books. sad thing is, who was the guy wearing #89 vs the seahawks ??

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Foles has the second least interceptions amongst all QBs with over 500 passes and more throw aways than any QB this season.

How much smarter do you expect him to play?

Maybe it's because he's the second most hit QB this season? Possibly?

Who is the most hit you might ask? Wilson, a SB QB last two seasons. How's he doing with his new sucky o-line?
yes I expect him to work hard and get a lot smarter. are you not listening to what everyone else is saying? it's not just the interceptions. he needs to get rid of the ball faster, have better awareness and we've all seen plenty of replays of Foles not going through his reads and not scoping the field and on many occasions not seeing open receivers and thrown to ones in coverage instead. he's admitted himself he's got to improve. why are you making it your mission in life to correct and defend every little comment anyone here makes about Foles. sorry it's getting ridiculous.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I thought Tre Mason was pretty fast too. Shouldn't he be able to make both of these run schemes work too? Or is he simply not a cutback runner, or does he simply have to get more used to it?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I thought Tre Mason was pretty fast too. Shouldn't he be able to make both of these run schemes work too? Or is he simply not a cutback runner, or does he simply have to get more used to it?

I think Mason would do well running for us. His problem is he's not Gurley and he's always going to look second fiddle. Good news for him is that he could easily IMO steal Cunningham's touches with some work on his game in regards to passing. Pass blocking, developing a feel for screens, route running. He could actually extend his career somewhat by not getting pounded 30 times a game and get 10 touches instead. If I was him I'd watch me some Marshall film or maybe some Amp Lee as well. 3rd down/backup backs get rings too.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler

Mason is definitely quick but he lacks Gurley's burst and top speed. The biggest difference though is two things: 1. Gurley has way better vision to see developing holes and cut-back lanes and 2. Gurley is better at making that first guy miss. It doesn't take perfect blocking for TG to turn it into a big run.

RamzFanz

Damnit
on 3rd downs, how about a little stedman "good hands" bailey ?? i cannot believe that cook bailed on his route. did he play after that?? should've grabbed some pine for that nonsense. a good day will be when that contract is off the rams' books. sad thing is, who was the guy wearing #89 vs the seahawks ??

Bailey is another receiver that gets too few looks.

We've entered a pattern of 3rd down drops to Cook in the first half and 3rd down conversions to Bailey in the second. Why not just start with the winner?

Oh, Cook didn't bail I'm being told, Foles just misses by 5 yards on short throws all the time because he sucks. His second lowest INTs for QBs with over 500 passes record is just a lucky fluke it seems.

RamzFanz

Damnit
yes I expect him to work hard and get a lot smarter. are you not listening to what everyone else is saying? it's not just the interceptions. he needs to get rid of the ball faster, have better awareness and we've all seen plenty of replays of Foles not going through his reads and not scoping the field and on many occasions not seeing open receivers and thrown to ones in coverage instead. he's admitted himself he's got to improve. why are you making it your mission in life to correct and defend every little comment anyone here makes about Foles. sorry it's getting ridiculous.

No, I'm not listening to what everyone else is saying. Not only is it not just the INTs, it's not the INTs at all, unless you think he is capable of throwing as few as the only QB with less, Aaron Rodgers.

I defend Foles because his line won't. :icare:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I've followed this guy for some time because he puts out awesome informational Xs and Os videos. Today he did one on the Rams. It's a great watch and he has high praise for Gurley, Tavon, and Cignetti on our new run game.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2w-SULm2B8

I really liked this ^ Video, and loved the way he breaks down the elements of the run/offensive Plays! Great Stuff!(y)(y):D

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Mason is definitely quick but he lacks Gurley's burst and top speed. The biggest difference though is two things: 1. Gurley has way better vision to see developing holes and cut-back lanes and 2. Gurley is better at making that first guy miss. It doesn't take perfect blocking for TG to turn it into a big run.

When Mason gets going I think he as very good speed and vision. He is not equal to Gurley but he can move the ball affectively.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
No, I'm not listening to what everyone else is saying. Not only is it not just the INTs, it's not the INTs at all, unless you think he is capable of throwing as few as the only QB with less, Aaron Rodgers.

I defend Foles because his line won't. :icare:
his line actually gave him decent pass protection those first 3 games. it was run blocking that was the problem. then in game 4 he started getting consistent pressure and we saw how he handled it. there's more to a QBs game than just interception and completion numbers. good QBs adjust under pressure, how do you think all the other QBs the Rams have played the last 2 years do it? I'm not asking him to be perfect but 4 INTs and how he handled pressure is a very worrying sign

Last edited:

Athos

Legend
Harsh words for Shotty. :ROFLMAO::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh:

And Cook. :deadhorse:

Those play designs with Gurley and Austin on the field at the same time are just deadly. And that's with an O-Line severely underperforming.

If we could just pass block worth a fucking damn....the D's job would be easier.

Still though, we need that ONE WR who can make plays when you need them most. Put a thick beast like Treadwell in this O......or an Alshon. :yess:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
A thoroughly enjoyable video. Thanks for posting.

I now can better understand and appreciate the dilemma the opposing D's face.

With Austin and Gurley alone, the D must pick it's poison on every play.

And a single hesitation, much less a mistake, can cost 40 yards or even a TD.

Can't wait until our OL fully gels.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
his line actually gave him decent pass protection those first 3 games. it was run blocking that was the problem. then in game 4 he started getting consistent pressure and we saw how he handled it. there's more to a QBs game than just interception and completion numbers. good QBs adjust under pressure, how do you think all the other QBs the Rams have played the last 2 years do it? I'm not asking him to be perfect but 4 INTs and how he handled pressure is a very worrying sign
If the zebras called that penalty on Matthews, I doubt there would have been as much pressure on Foles. As it was, GB's pass rush was in Foles' face all game, and it made a difference.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Was Bailey the one that was wide open in the back of the end zone on the INT to Kendricks?

Don't pretend like Cook wouldn't have dropped that pass anyway.

RamzFanz

Damnit

Foles needs to be protected. We knew that. He's not Wilson. BUT, watch the first games again and see how many times he avoided pressure moving in the pocket.

Dude is neither perfect nor great, but can be exceptional for the Rams if they give him average protection or better. It's like getting TA the ball in space or making holes for Gurley.

I'm not saying he didn't make mistakes but we know who he is and the Rams let him down.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
We have Tavon, Gurley on offense, and Donald on defense there's no excuse for us to be 2-3! And no I'm not being sarcastic!!!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Was Bailey the one that was wide open in the back of the end zone on the INT to Kendricks?

It was Kenny Britt. But there was also a safety there, too. So it's not a easy TD like the guy in the video said. The only thing easy was seeing him (Kenny) break out from above on tape, and saying Nick Foles should've thrown it to him.

And actually, the dude in the video is wrong. The more I watch that play, Nick Foles *did not* "lock" onto Lance Kendricks. You can literally see Nick's head look left first, then go back towards the right. I think its simply just a bad throw. And being a hypocrite here, Nick should have thrown it to Tavon or Benny Cunningham. And even further, it wasn't even that bad of a throw. The thing bounced off Lance and into the defender's hands. Not like he threw it right to the defender. I can see why they called that play.