The Eric Dickerson trade turns 27

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Two different eras.

Two different runners.

There is no winner in a debate between those two, IMO.
I wasn't trying to start that debate over again, just stating MY personal preference.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I wasn't trying to start that debate over again, just stating MY personal preference.

No worries!

2001_a_space_odyssey_hello_dave.jpg

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Two different eras.

Two different runners.

There is no winner in a debate between those two, IMO.
but it is kinda fun to think what ED might have done in the gsot offense.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
but it is kinda fun to think what ED might have done in the gsot offense.

He was such a pure runner, he would have been equally successful rushing the ball.

But; Faulk was the better fit for that Offense. He was almost as good a receiver as runner.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
He was such a pure runner, he would have been equally successful rushing the ball.

But; Faulk was the better fit for that Offense. He was almost as good a receiver as runner.
I just don't think they would have needed a pass threat out of the backfield with ED as the RB. Can you imagine 2000-plus yds of run-production in that offense? How would anyone defend that?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I just don't think they would have needed a pass threat out of the backfield with ED as the RB. Can you imagine 2000-plus yds of run-production in that offense? How would anyone defend that?
Thing is he wouldn't get that many touches and ED's production was not only him it was the fact the team was polished at getting him to the second level, Martz would not have had as much emphasis on that as Ed's coaches did.
The major reason Martz was fired at Det. and Chi. and SF was because he wouldn't run the ball.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Thing is he wouldn't get that many touches and ED's production was not only him it was the fact the team was polished at getting him to the second level, Martz would not have had as much emphasis on that as Ed's coaches did.

The major reason Martz was fired at Det. and Chi. and SF was because he wouldn't run the ball.
even if he gave ED 15-20 touches a game, it would still have been incredible. From a quick look, it appears ED avg'd approx 25 carries per game during his career.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/6418/eric-dickerson

And having a quick look at 1999-2001, the GSOT ran the ball approx 25-27 times per game.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?season=2001&team=STL&seasonType=

So, I'd going to conclude that while ED might have not had the yardage he had in Anaheim, he still would have had massive production.

And as far as the reasons for firing Martz, I've never bought the public line. But then, you probably already knew that.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Add to that his notoriously prickly personality and his feuds with higher-ups. Like Jim Harbaugh, Martz was known not only for his coaching ability but that everywhere he went he wore out his welcome over time. Love the man but that's his rep. I would hire him as OC on a one-year contract and then renew it each season until the inevitable happened.

69superbowl

Rookie
Thanks for that great Dickerson video PT. The Rams are timelessly wonderful at shooting themselves in the foot.

Also, the "42" sticker on their helmets that year was for CB Kirk Collins. He died of cancer. RIP Kirk Collins.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Add to that his notoriously prickly personality and his feuds with higher-ups. Like Jim Harbaugh, Martz was known not only for his coaching ability but that everywhere he went he wore out his welcome over time. Love the man but that's his rep. I would hire him as OC on a one-year contract and then renew it each season until the inevitable happened.
I don't buy into the rep, otherwise people like MF would have dropped hints that confirms it. The GSOT players have never said anything that I've heard that confirms the rep.