The Eric Dickerson trade turns 27

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/31/the-eric-dickerson-trade-turns-27/

The Eric Dickerson trade turns 27
Posted by Mike Wilkening on October 31, 2014

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwyznzmzothhmzyzmjrhmtnhntmwotljzwm4mwm5owrm-e1414810760683.jpeg
Getty Images

Friday is the 27th anniversary of the Los Angeles Rams trading Eric Dickerson to the Indianapolis Colts, something Dickerson himself pointed out this afternoon.
----------------------------------------------
Eric Dickerson ✔ @EricDickerson
27 years ago today I was traded to the @Colts
----------------------------------------------
This was no small trade. According to NFL records, it involved the fourth-most players/picks in league history. The deal also looped in a third team, the Buffalo Bills.

All three clubs came away with their own presumed pot of gold.

The Colts got Dickerson, in his prime at age 27 and the league’s leading rusher the previous season.

The Bills received linebacker Cornelius Bennett, the second overall pick in the 1987 draft.
------------------------------------------------
Cornelius Bennett ✔ @realcbennett97

@EricDickerson 27yrs ago I was traded from the colts to the Bills! Lol
-------------------------------------------------
The Rams got a bushel of draft picks — three first-rounders and three second-rounders. They also received tailbacks Greg Bell and Owen Gill.

Dickerson, for his part, rushed for nearly 4,000 yards in his first three seasons in Indianapolis, including 1987, when the Colts made the postseason. In his lone playoff game with the franchise, Dickerson racked up 115 combined yards and a caught a TD pass, but Indianapolis fell 38-21 to Cleveland. In all, Dickerson would play 61 games for the Colts before being dealt to Oakland in 1992.

Bennett, meanwhile, was a five-time Pro Bowler for Buffalo, a key part of a club that made four straight Super Bowls.

So what about the Rams’ draft pick haul? As it turns out, they drafted just one Pro Bowler — tailback Gaston Green. And Green’s Pro Bowl season came with Denver, not Los Angeles. The veteran Bell, though, was a starter on the Rams’ 1988 and 1989 postseason entrants.

But the Herschel Walker trade it was not for the Los Angeles Rams, who would, in time, move to St. Louis. Dickerson, in time, would become a Hall of Famer. The Hoosier Dome, where Dickerson played his home games in Indianapolis, is gone, and no NFL team plays on Astroturf anymore.

Well, so not all change is bad, but the days of teams getting together to construct 10-player/pick deals are probably gone. And that’s no fun.

Well, at least we have Twitter.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The trade should have never been made, but I believe Dickerson wanted it. He couldn't get what he wanted, and it seemed, at the time he wasn't happy in L.A., At least that's the way I remember it!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And if the Rams had taken Chris Spielman over Fred Strickland how much better would that trade look? Oh well before those draft choices the guy who advised John Robinson, John Math had actually done a good job with drafting with guys like Kevin Greene for example, but in the end, Dickerson should have never been traded and this in itself underscores the regime of Georgia Frontiere and John Shaw.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The trade should have never been made, but I believe Dickerson wanted it. He couldn't get what he wanted, and it seemed, at the time he wasn't happy in L.A., At least that's the way I remember it!

NFL network did "A Football Life" feature on Eric D within the past two weeks. You remember it pretty accurately ,but I totally disagree that the Rams shouldn't have dealt him considering what they got in return. What they did with what they got makes the trade look worse, that was enough compensation to IMO persuade me to trade anyone .

As an aside in that feature, the Indy fans booed Dickerson unmercifully ,even when he broke a record there ,largely because he continued to agitate for more money in Indy and wasn't shy about going to the press to make his case.
I recommend watching it if you get the chance , the stories about the recruiting abuses were worth it, A&M bought him a Trans Am ,he drove it to SMU and refused to give it back,Texas threatened him with never being able to work in that state if he didn't sign with them.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Worst Ram day of my life.

I remember seeing ED in a Colt uniform and my mind just couldn't compute what I was looking at. For a few minutes my mind was telling me that somebody is dressed in a very good Dickerson costume for Halloween. I'm totally serious about that. Every Halloween since then I'm reminded of that nightmare.

Please allow me a moment here to express my most sincere feelings... Fuck "that" woman and shaw forever. FUCK THEM.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
NFL network did "A Football Life" feature on Eric D within the past two weeks. You remember it pretty accurately ,but I totally disagree that the Rams shouldn't have dealt him considering what they got in return. What they did with what they got makes the trade look worse, that was enough compensation to IMO persuade me to trade anyone .

As an aside in that feature, the Indy fans booed Dickerson unmercifully ,even when he broke a record there ,largely because he continued to agitate for more money in Indy and wasn't shy about going to the press to make his case.
I recommend watching it if you get the chance , the stories about the recruiting abuses were worth it, A&M bought him a Trans Am ,he drove it to SMU and refused to give it back,Texas threatened him with never being able to work in that state if he didn't sign with them.
Thanks, I check it out next chance I have!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I remember seeing ED in a Colt uniform and my mind just couldn't compute what I was looking at. For a few minutes my mind was telling me that somebody is dressed in a very good Dickerson costume for Halloween. I'm totally serious about that. Every Halloween since then I'm reminded of that nightmare.

Please allow me a moment here to express my most sincere feelings... freak "that" woman and shaw forever. freak THEM.
Your a bit MILD in your contempt for "Those People" in my humble opinion!!!(y)(y)

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Your a bit MILD in your contempt for "Those People" in my humble opinion!!!(y)(y)

Hahahahaha

I'll tell you this... that POS shaw would not be in a good place if he were ever to be in a place where he was alone with me. :mad:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Bills were the winners on that deal.

the Colts seem to have issues when it comes to trades involving running backs first Dickerson then Faulk and recently Richardson. Three really bad deals for them.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
I remember being very upset over that trade and to this day I think it was a bad move.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Hahahahaha

I'll tell you this... that POS shaw would not be in a good place if he were ever to be in a place where he was alone with me. :mad:
Say "Hello" for me too, should the opportunity occur!;)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If the Rams used the extra picks wisely it would have been a great trade because Eric didnt want to be there anymore.

But the incompetence of that regime doomed it from the start.

Good thing that Jim Everett was handsome or Georgia would never have okayed that trade, the late80s Rams offered some memorable moments....too bad they had to include USFL refugee William Fuller in that deal. He was a very good DL and could have helped greatly.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Three first round picks and three second round picks??? Heck yeah, they screwed up their picks. If you're gonna trade one of the best ever, you gotta know you're gonna hit on those picks or you gave him up for peanuts. That's on them, not a bad trade. But heck, I never watched Dickerson.

jap

Legend

Please allow me a moment here to express my most sincere feelings... freak "that" woman and shaw forever. freak THEM.

It was a crying shame at the time---hell! it's a crying shame right now!!! Eric "the Great" Dickerson was unquestionably the best running back in the NFL (even with a young Barry Sanders at Detroit) and arguably the best player in the NFL. It was true at the time that Eric's contract had not been completed yet, but it was also true he had grossly outplayed his contract and deserved more money. 1808 yards in his rookie season and an NFL record 2105 yards in his sophomore campaign---show the man the money already!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
what's with the relationship between colts & rams? first, the owners trade franchises, then ED, and later MF.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
But heck, I never watched Dickerson.

every one of the all-time great running backs has something different and unique about them........ when you talk about the top guys in the history of the sport they each had things that made them different and better and everybody else in their era........ you should get on YouTube and check out some highlight film you'll be very entertained...... Ed was probably the only running back I can remember who could run right over a linebacker than outrun everybody in the secondary and be in the end zone with the guys trailing him by 10 yards

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Best pure runner I've seen - ever.

What is so cool about Dickerson... You can ignore the uniform and just watch him run and he looks like no other. Truly a unique style. Big. Fast. Upright. Long strides.

Thing of beauty.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Best pure runner I've seen - ever.

What is so cool about Dickerson... You can ignore the uniform and just watch him run and he looks like no other. Truly a unique style. Big. Fast. Upright. Long strides.

Thing of beauty.
I liked Dickerson, But, given a choice I'd still Take Faulk over him!