The cheering of Schuab injury, Rams chime in.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Andre Johnson: Cheering Matt Schaub's injury not right

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League Editor
Published: Oct. 13, 2013 at 06:45 p.m.
Updated: Oct. 13, 2013 at 07:37 p.m.

The Houston Texans thought last week's blowout loss in San Francisco was rock bottom. They had no clue.

Matt Schaub hurt his ankle during an ugly 38-13 loss to the St. Louis Rams. The ugliest, most memorable moment came courtesy of the home crowd.

After booing Schaub during the game, Texans fans cheered when Schaub went down with an injury. Backup quarterback T.J. Yates also got a rousing ovation when he entered the game.

"No class," Andre Johnson said of his home crowd after the game, via NFL Network's Jeff Darlington. "It's bad when members of the other team are saying that's messed up. No class."

Speaking of which ...

Chris Long
✔ @JOEL9ONE
-If you were at Reliant stadium and cheered Matt's injury, you are a poor representation of your fan base and a bad example to young fans.

It has not been a proud week for the Texans fan base. From the apparent harassment of Schaub at his home to this booing, this could stick with the fanbase as a black mark for a while.

"It wasn't all of the fans but those are the same people when you're out somewhere with your family and you tell them that they can't have an autograph right now. Those are the same people who tell you that you are rude. No class," Johnson said. "It just shows what they are all about.

"You don't cheer about nobody being injured. I don't care who it is. Guys lay their bodies on the line out thereon that field and some guys get injuries and it affects them their whole lives."

Johnson is right. It's not all of the fans, but it's enough to get upset about. It's hard to blame him for his anger.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Whoa!

Pretty strong reaction from André Johnson. Could be interesting on Monday.

But agree... at the time I commented in the game day thread its was lame! Shame on those "fans".

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I saw Chris Long's tweet, and I honestly thought he should've just kept it to himself.

But after seeing Brian Cushing, Arian Foster, and the original Texan himself Andre Johnson say that...glad Chris did as well.

Gonna be a shit storm in Houston tomorrow.

jjab360

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
Whoa!

Pretty strong reaction from André Johnson. Could be interesting on Monday.

But agree... at the time I commented in the game day thread its was lame! Shame on those "fans".
I thought it was a completely appropriate reaction. Cheering any injury is sick, the players need to let the people in the stands know that that's not ok.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I was at the game when Bulger got dinged and came out and yeah some Rams fans cheered. So idiots everywhere.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The thing is the Texan's woes as of late are not all on Schaub just like the Ram's were not all on Bradford. Some fans are so shallow it is embarrassing. Not to mention cheering someone's injury is just plain heartless and classless.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I've never really been a fan of booing players for poor performance. But I've done my share of cheering when a player gets replaced. In a way I liken that situation to what happened yesterday. I'm sure some people were cheering the change of personnel, not the injury itself.

...but either way, I understand how the players view this the way they do. It is pretty disrespectful and barbaric.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I'm glad Long stepped up - the NFL is still a fraternity of highly paid competitors who are all also part of the same union, a brotherhood. Most of these guys know that "fans" :sick: will turn on you in a heartbeat. The essence of what I took from his comments is that it could very easily be any player and they should all be aware of that possibility.
Denounce the behavior now as an act of solidarity - I applaud him :brava:

Psycho_X

Legend
Nothing against Yates but I laughed my ass off when Tree took it to the house for 98 yards after that cheer session. Obviously he wouldn't show emotion but if I was Matt Schaub I'd be giving a mental middle finger to the entire crowd the entire trip Ogletree took to the endzone lol.

Karma is a beotch.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Psycho_X said:
Nothing against Yates but I laughed my ass off when Tree took it to the house for 98 yards after that cheer session. Obviously he wouldn't show emotion but if I was Matt Schaub I'd be giving a mental middle finger to the entire crowd the entire trip Ogletree took to the endzone lol.

Karma is a beotch.

:lmao: No doubt.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Psycho_X said:

Karma is a beotch.

Yep was just about to post this. I feel bad for the kid, but not for the fans that he played bad.

They get what they got, then they had the gall to start cheering for Schaub when it looked like he was gonna come back in. I'm glad the players told them to fuck off basically.

What a bunch of wishy washy scrubs.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Selassie I said:
"Houston,,, YOU have a Problem"

When a city has one of the largest number of thriving strip clubs, where guys pay good money to get dry humped, you are going to have some frustrated men walking around. :lol:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
FWIW the WHOLE thing is an overreaction to an overreaction.

No it's not polite to cheer when a guy gets hurt in a football game but it IS OK to do it when a guy gets KO'd in a boxing match ?
Can someone please explain the rules to me?

I BTW wouldn't do what those fans did and I don't like that they did, but these guys go out and play a game with mayhem on their minds and get their panties in a twist when the lines get blurred, gimme a break.

BTW did anyone happen to hear that KC broke the decibel record formerly held by Seattle ?

Whip people into a frenzy accept all the accolades and cheers and get yer itty bitty feelins hurt when someone steps over an imaginary line ?

Meh much ado bout nuthin, ya can't expect people you deliberately whip into a frenzy to always stop where you think "proper decorum" lies, again I don't condone nor would I participate in that sort of thing ,but I ain't gonna go holier than thou about it either.

There is far worse FAR worse fan behavior to address and there is a certain culpability that comes from the profit gleaned from that sort of unbridled emotion.
Yeah I think fan behavior is out of hand,but on a hierarchy this ranks nothing worse than average poor sportsmanship.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
RamsSince1969 said:
Selassie I said:
"Houston,,, YOU have a Problem"

When a city has one of the largest number of thriving strip clubs, where guys pay good money to get dry humped, you are going to have some frustrated men walking around. :lol:
I knew I had this game circled on my calendar for a reason :hahaha: :shhhhh:

bskrilla

Starter
Thordaddy said:

No it's not polite to cheer when a guy gets hurt in a football game but it IS OK to do it when a guy gets KO'd in a boxing match ?

I don't think the two situations are analogous. I think the equivalent of a boxer knocking out the other would be a DB laying the lead on a WR or a RB. It is perfectly acceptable to cheer in that situation assuming it was a clean hit.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Thordaddy said:

Gladly, one sport is about watching a guy get knocked out another is watching a guy play football. One sport where the entire purpose is to knock a guy out and the other is to get more points than the other person. Besides they're cheering for their own guy getting knocked out, nothing like somebody against another fighter cheering. It'd be like cheering the guy you bet on getting knocked out.

Not at all synonymous. It's like wondering why a guy in the military is treated like a hero, but a serial killer is derided.