The Case For 12 Wins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MAXWELL

UDFA
1) Coaching - Most of us who follow the NFL know that coaching plays a bigger role in game outcomes in the NFL more than any other sport, and it isn't even close. Next to a great QB, good to great coaching is the single most important factor in a team's success. Not just teaching, but leading, inspiring, talent evaluation, game planning, and game adjustments. We might just be going from among the worst at each of these (with the exception of loyalty, I suppose) to among the best. Certainly, offensively and defensively it might not be a small upgrade, but a seismic one at the single biggest determinate of success, next to...

2) QB - Let's not get it twisted. Jared Goff might be the real deal. He might not, of course, but he also might. Deep insight, I know. The story always seems to be, yeah, he had the worst offensive coaching, protection, and weapons in the league, more or less, but wow, he sure did struggle when he played. Um...Well....You see.....Read that again, dummies! Now, will the protection magically become top tier? No. But if it is decent, and if the Whitworth domino really takes effect and the coaching really improves thing, and Goff's second year really brings maturity and understanding, well, hey, second year's for good QBs can be a beautiful thing. Why not Goff, I ask? Really, why not Goff? Well, that brings us to...

3) Weapons - Gurley is fine. I have no questions about him. None. Can you imagine Tavon contributing to the passing game because we finally have a real offensive mind? Imagine!!! Higbee? Why not? Look, it is not going to be the '85 Dolphins, but it might be good enough to get out of the bottom third of the league, especially if #1 & #2 above are legit. Which leaves us with...

4) Defense - Again, coaching. Oh, and ridiculous talent all over the place. And if you add a glimpse of hope that the offense will actually score more than once and not go three and out every other time in order to highlight Hekker's brilliance, they may actually play with more of a purpose for 60 entire minutes.

Again, I say with a HUGE upgrade in coaching across the board (not only realistic, but expected), a legit jump from Goff (very possible, if not necessarily a given), and a dominate defense (with that front 7 - 6 first round talents and a 2nd rounder!!!! maybe the best player in football!!! - why not?), I say 12 wins is within the realm of dreams and reality.

5) For those still doubting this, I refer you back to 1999. And in this case we don't even need to rely on an out of the blue former stock boy, we can just count on the best QB from his draft class fulfilling his potential.

Now, it is time to watch the Giants start their path back to the World Series.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Recently Broncos coach Vance Joseph said it was a combination of culture, talent and coaching that wins games in the NFL. It's a sentiment shared by many.

Rams have brought in new coaches and they are trying to instill a new culture, but they need another infusion of talent, and still lack the depth and playmakers that true contenders have.

While they may be building a program that results in 12-4 seasons, a one year turnaround is just too much to expect from this group.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
This team is not getting 12 wins. I'm optimistic for the coming season... but just look at the rosters that have put up 12+ wins recently. They were far more talented and complete than this Rams roster. We have way too many holes still to think 12 wins is feasible.

I just want the Rams to be playing in games that matter after the half way point of the season, for once.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While they may be building a program that results in 12-4 seasons, a one year turnaround is just too much to expect from this group.

Well... I guess if Goff were the next Kurt Warner... Hey... it could happen!!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Case for 12 wins"
Yeah baby! ~Case Keenum

Ram65

Legend
Recently Broncos coach Vance Joseph said it was a combination of culture, talent and coaching that wins games in the NFL. It's a sentiment shared by many.

Rams have brought in new coaches and they are trying to instill a new culture, but they need another infusion of talent, and still lack the depth and playmakers that true contenders have.

I like the culture, talent and coaching quote. McVay is turning things around with culture and infusing new talent. Of course he and the new coaching staff are a big upgrade. While a 12-4 turnaround could happen soon I won't be expecting it in year one either.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
This team is not getting 12 wins. I'm optimistic for the coming season... but just look at the rosters that have put up 12+ wins recently. They were far more talented and complete than this Rams roster. We have way too many holes still to think 12 wins is feasible.

I just want the Rams to be playing in games that matter after the half way point of the season, for once.

Nobody thought we were a 4 win team last year. Everyone was predicting playoffs for us but with mediocre coaching and a losing culture we had players regress, and we lost.

If coaching truly made that big of a difference, then we don't truly know what our holes are. It's entirely possible that under this staff a player like TruJo looks like a scrub while a player like Mike Thomas looks like a star. We don't really know. It's all speculation at this point.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The only two reasons I can think of;
It has happened before.
We are overdue.

Other than that I'm thinking about 7-9.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
While a 12-4 turnaround could happen soon I won't be expecting it in year one either.

The reality of this ever happening (12-4) in 2017 is beyond my fantasy thinking... Never say never but be for real.

Like you said Ram65.. Maybe it happens sooner than later but in 2017 the Rams will be very fortunate to get 9 wins.

When fans post possibilities of 10 or more wins after their NFL team is coming of a 4-12 season combined with a new change in their coaching regime, it is more of a lucky guess of fortune than a believable educated prediction.

We have all read these similar type of positive thinking posts under the Fisher regime and now that McVay and Wade are on board, this will surface a few more times going into the 2017 season. I'm sure some will bring up the 4-12 1998 Rams that pulled off the 13-3 miracle in 1999 to justify their thinking..

logo.jpg

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Still too early for me to have any kind of blind optimism, we haven't even had the draft. Let's at least see them practice together.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Hell, I would think it to be a true victory and a great season if we won seven games and were close and competitive in most of the rest of them.

MAXWELL

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The reality of this ever happening (12-4) in 2017 is beyond my fantasy thinking... Never say never but be for real.

Like you said Ram65.. Maybe it happens sooner than later but in 2017 the Rams will be very fortunate to get 9 wins.

When fans post possibilities of 10 or more wins after their NFL team is coming of a 4-12 season combined with a new change in their coaching regime, it is more of a lucky guess of fortune than a believable educated prediction.

We have all read these similar type of positive thinking posts under the Fisher regime and now that McVay and Wade are on board, this will surface a few more times going into the 2017 season. I'm sure some will bring up the 4-12 1998 Rams that pulled off the 13-3 miracle in 1999 to justify their thinking..

logo.jpg

I am sure some will bring up that miracle. Dummies. Oh, wait, the stinking post you didn't read brought it up! And the miracles were not that hard to see in retrospect. One was a HUGE coaching change in Martz and what that did for an offense that already had weapons in Bruce and drafting Holt and trading for Marshall. This is the same for the Rams now, except for defense. Bringing in Wade with Donald and Quinn and Brockers and Ogletree.

Again, if you think a new coaching staff is a hinderance, you just have a lot of learning to do. It is a HUGE deal.

And, again, this assumes a big leap for a great QB from year one to two. Certainly no guarantee, but not even remotely impossible. It is like buying a lottery ticket and hoping to win back your $1. Probably won't, but you might. And Goff could take a HUGE leap. So, again, this is going from a horrible coaching staff to a great one (on both sides of the ball) and going from one of the worst QB situations to a great one (assuming potential is filled and a second year leap is taken).

Again, again (lots of agains), if you are blinded by Fisher predictions of the past, you belong on TST with all of the other psychologically damaged folk. Of course it is ridiculous to think the Rams will win 12 games. But it is April, so what the hell, why not? Nobody else is posting anything because there is nothing to post.

You all are welcome. And for the TST-mindset amongst you, I suggest you seek help. 3k is a sick, sick man, and not someone you want to emulate. Cheers!

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
So our may or may not be the real deal QB is supposed to lead us to 12 wins this year? How about he actually wins ONE SINGLE GAME first?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'd be happy with being competitive week in and week out in 2017. Its hard to expect too much in the first year in a new system on both sides of the ball plus Goff still figuring things out. I just want to see us going in the right direction. In 2018 though, I expect real results.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see 6 wins...New coaches, new schemes, rookies starting......too many moving parts for a winning season, imo.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Can we have entertaining, competitive football? I can worry about the record in year 2 and 3. 6-7 wins, close games and significant progression from Goff and I'll be happy as Larry with 2017.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
QB - Let's not get it twisted. Jared Goff might be the real deal. He might not, of course, but he also might. Deep insight, I know. The story always seems to be, yeah, he had the worst offensive coaching, protection, and weapons in the league, more or less, but wow, he sure did struggle when he played.
Well, until we see this guy....win a game...this is all just...a post stating why we'll win 12 games...With not one shred of proof anything will change beside the coaches.
3k is a sick, sick man, and not someone you want to emulate.
Actually, 3K is a fan that's tired of bullshit. Not sure how long you've been a fan, but he's been around awhile...Loves college football too, and is quite intelligent. Think he's a math guy....If you're the maxwell from tst, pretty sure I've read something you've said too.

To show you I believe you're just talking...Post one thing 3K, ole Joe McAtee has written, that you can prove is some silly sick stupid shit? It's his opinion....not written in stone or blood.

So our may or may not be the real deal QB is supposed to lead us to 12 wins this year? How about he actually wins ONE SINGLE GAME first?
Man....I mean...can we at least get to OTA's...then camp?

I still remember a drill...some 4:00 drill. Offense has the ball and is trying to score against the defense. And Case gets all the way to the redzone..but is stopped. Jared gets his turn, and can barely complete a pass...Constant checkdowns...Until I see a different guy...and this is the guy I saw in August....and again in December/January....Same Goff....All of our weapons can't be terrible....Hell, everyone that leaves signs a contract...with good offenses too.