The Blame Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
After listening to XM,watching the NFL Network ,ESPN and all the rest of the talking heads pronounce Manning a substandard "playoff QB" I must say,bullshit.

One of the things these putzs consistently avail themselves in retrospect is jettisoning WHY they made their picks the way they did BEFORE the game. ALMOST TO A MAN the "experts" predicted a Bronco win because "now Manning finally had a top flight defense" to go into the playoffs with, he (Manning) throws 3 TD passes, against a defense that was designed to prevent anything long .Then the "defense he finally had " proceeds to cough up twice their season average in points and indeed twice what they'd surrendered TO the same Ravens team three weeks earlier, AND THAT IS MANNINGS FAULT?

Some of you know I went to watch the Broncos in pre -season at their scrimmage,I got to see close comparison of Osweiler,Caleb Hanie and Manning , there is no doubt Mannings arm isn't elite anymore he drove the ball very comparably to his backups. On the other hand the accuracy differential was astounding.

For me the real difference was Flacco his arm strength was something the Denver DB's consistently misjudged especially the added length he got FROM throwing at altitude.Whether it's FG kicking the way HR's carry out of Coors Field how pitchers curve ball won't break in the rarefied air or the 5 extra yards a QB gets out of his throws , things CHANGE at a mile high,JMO THAT was the story of that game,the Denver DB's never really adjusted to the extraordinary speed and distance of Flacco's throws.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
No one ever blames the D. It's always on the damn QB.

You said Peyton, but the same shit is already being done to Matt Ryan. It's not all on hi.

Or Sam vs. Minnesota, is it his fault Adrian Peterson ran 200+ yards? According to #PDlogic, it is.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Manning also threw some TERRIBLE passes in that game, including the pick 6. Manning's record in the postseason is what it is, and it ain't good. Is it all his fault? Of course not, but he clearly benefited from a regular season schedule that included 2 games EACH against the likes of the Chargers, Raiders and Chefs. He benefited from a similarly easy reg. season schedule for most of his tenure in the AFC South. He simply does not play as well in the playoffs against better competition.

No one will debate that Manning is one of the most accurate and intelligent QBs that the league has ever seen. First ballot HOF, without question. That said, his post season record (even at home) is absolutely a valid topic for debate when discussing his career.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The defense cost Denver the win. Hands down, without a doubt, they failed over and over again at key points in the game.

This is what pisses me off in QB discussions... ITS A TEAM GAME!

If ever there was a team loss it was Denver losing to the Ravens last weekend!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, 9-11 in the playoffs with eight 1-and-done games has to be indicative of *something*. I don't know what though. His playoff numbers aren't all that far off from his regular season numbers, but the sample size of playoff games, comparatively speaking, skews things a bit. I don't think it's him though. Can't be just him. It's never *all* about the QB in my book. I mean, does this mean Andrew Luck is continuing on with the legacy? Or does it mean that defenses, special teams, and running games should shoulder some of the blame in losses?

Angry Ram

Faceplant said:
Manning also threw some TERRIBLE passes in that game, including the pick 6. Manning's record in the postseason is what it is, and it ain't good. Is it all his fault? Of course not, but he clearly benefited from a regular season schedule that included 2 games EACH against the likes of the Chargers, Raiders and Chefs. He benefited from a similarly easy reg. season schedule for most of his tenure in the AFC South. He simply does not play as well in the playoffs against better competition.

No one will debate that Manning is one of the most accurate and intelligent QBs that the league has ever seen. First ballot HOF, without question. That said, his post season record (even at home) is absolutely a valid topic for debate when discussing his career.

It wasn't totally a bad throw, it was tipped off the WR and landed right into the defender's hands.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
Well, 9-11 in the playoffs with eight 1-and-done games has to be indicative of *something*. I don't know what though. His playoff numbers aren't all that far off from his regular season numbers, but the sample size of playoff games, comparatively speaking, skews things a bit. I don't think it's him though. Can't be just him. It's never *all* about the QB in my book. I mean, does this mean Andrew Luck is continuing on with the legacy? Or does it mean that defenses, special teams, and running games should shoulder some of the blame in losses?

IMO - Peyton led some pretty suspect teams to the playoffs. I think first and foremost is that those teams simply really weren't as good as the competition. I'm not even a huge PM fan. I just always felt like the Colts were the weaker TEAM in most of the playoff games they were in. If anything, they were in the playoffs because of superior QB play. Unfortunately for him, the team aspect really shows up in the playoffs.

I have to admit that I didn't watch the Baltimore game but judging by how the scoring went, I'd have to say that the D had their worst outing of the year. Aparently Peyton didn't help the cause as much as usual but the D made Flacco look like a perennial all pro while allowing Rice to do what he does.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[rp3]http://c.espnradio.com/audio/1324532/vanpeltaudio_2013-01-14-131732.mp3[/rp3]

svpr_90.jpg

Scott Van Pelt talks about the Broncos' loss, another tough postseason defeat for Peyton Manning
and how a crushing loss like this can stick with a fan base for years.

Angry Ram

Does anyone in the media realize the difference b/w what Denver did and what Atlanta did?

Denver's situation: 31 ticks, 2 TOs...tied.

Atlanta's situation: 31 ticks, 2 TOs...down 2 points. Falcons HAD to throw to actually win the damn game.

Denver could've tried, but it was probably safer b/c of FP and what not.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
RamFan503 said:
IMO - Peyton led some pretty suspect teams to the playoffs. I think first and foremost is that those teams simply really weren't as good as the competition. I'm not even a huge PM fan. I just always felt like the Colts were the weaker TEAM in most of the playoff games they were in. If anything, they were in the playoffs because of superior QB play. Unfortunately for him, the team aspect really shows up in the playoffs.

I have to admit that I didn't watch the Baltimore game but judging by how the scoring went, I'd have to say that the D had their worst outing of the year. Aparently Peyton didn't help the cause as much as usual but the D made Flacco look like a perennial all pro while allowing Rice to do what he does.

Couldn't have said it better.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I would point out that Peyton's HCs (Dungy and Fox) have been perpetually conservative. Especially Fox. When you have the lead, sometimes you should go for the kill. Fox put his trust in his defense on a bad day, rather than a veteran QB who's been through the playoff grinder more than anyone on that team, including Fox.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ram Quixote said:
I would point out that Peyton's HCs (Dungy and Fox) have been perpetually conservative. Especially Fox. When you have the lead, sometimes you should go for the kill. Fox put his trust in his defense on a bad day, rather than a veteran QB who's been through the playoff grinder more than anyone on that team, including Fox.

Yuck. For some reason that brought back memories of Martz in that double overtime playoff game.....that will not be mentioned again.....sorry everybody. :amped: :grr: :evil: :sick:

And who EVER would have thought Martz would EVER be conservative??? Still scratching my head over that one.....

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Angry Ram said:
It wasn't totally a bad throw, it was tipped off the WR and landed right into the defender's hands.

I would argue that the pic he threw, across his body to the middle of the feild in OT was a TERRIBLE throw....or as Charles Barkley would say...TURRRRRRBL!!

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CGI_Ram said:
RamFan503 said:

Couldn't have said it better.

The Bronco defense yielded a season average of 17 points,so they underperformed there, they got ONE sack when they had been leagues leaders in that regard, Manning averaged 2,3 TD passes per game, had three in that game. SO by the numbers he had an above average game , and BTW his RB's were the third and fourth string since their second string guy got hurt early.

Yeah I agree that he took some poor teams into the playoffs perrenialy but when the playoffs came around and the defenses were better than his , he lost.

I'm not really a huge fan of Manning ,I am a Bronco fan and expected a team that could win a playoff game with Tim Tebow HAD TO be better in the playoffs with Manning and IMO Manning had them in the lead , just a seriously inoportune moment for the Denver defense to take the week off.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Thor,,, your thread title keeps reminding me of ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvbRwgadw80[/youtube]

If you watch American Horror Story on Weds nights, you'll recognize this version of the old song. Bunch of freaks in an insane asylum.

Anyway,,, back to your sane discussions... Sorry if I interrupted :hehe:

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Awesome show^^^. Unbelievable second season!!!

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Selassie I said:

If you watch American Horror Story on Weds nights, you'll recognize this version of the old song. Bunch of freaks in an insane asylum.

I thought that was the owners box of the Whiners for a minute.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Chuck Chuck bo buck banana fanna fo ,uh well.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Selassie I said:

That's nuts. I just added it to my Netflix list. How far are they into season 2?