The "Battle for LA"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
You bring up a good possibility for the Chargers Loyal. London may be their best option, or even Mexico city.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
None from me either, he's despicable.

The NFL has a habit of breaking it's word, it's own rules, and contracts don't mean much either. I'm not saying that the Raiders WILL move I'm saying that it leaves the possibility open. If the Chargers do move back it'll take something monumental because Spanos is poised to make a lot of money when the new stadium opens.

I don't know how good of a market Las Vegas is going to be, I can't figure it. There is less competition but also football fans who already have a team since it's a transplant area and there are less than 2MIL people in the metro area. It could be tricky and Davis may decide LA is better with a built in fan base.
Changing the NFL's decision in allowing the Raiders to move to Vegas, breaking it's deal with stadium building partners in Las Vegas..where a brand new venue for the NFL is part of the deal, looks reaaaaly bad. Couple that with the cratering of the Chargers in LA, I can't imagine it could get much worse for the owners.

It seems that selling the Chargers to an owner with deep pockets and building a new stadium in San Diego and the Raiders in a premiere destination city (Las Vegas)would be the best move and the least embarrassment for the NFL. jmo

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It seems that selling the Chargers to an owner with deep pockets and building a new stadium in San Diego and the Raiders in a premiere destination city (Las Vegas)would be the best move and the least embarrassment for the NFL. jmo

That would be the best thing but Spanos has said the team is staying in his family and he won't sell.

The NFL can't force an owner to sell like the NBA can, so I'm not sure this scenario will play out.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That would be the best thing but Spanos has said the team is staying in his family and he won't sell.

The NFL can't force an owner to sell like the NBA can, so I'm not sure this scenario will play out.
If they make little money, the pressure will mount. If the embarrassment when among NFL owner peers is too strong because he is degrading "The Shield"....pressure will mount....I guess if he's pig headed about this we will see.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Spanos is charged a hefty fine if he sells the team after relocation. It is a penalty designed to prevent owners from inflating team value right before selling. Maybe a buyer would agree to pay the fine on top of the franchise price knowing sports teams are seeing exponential growth in worth lately.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Spanos is charged a hefty fine if he sells the team after relocation. It is a penalty designed to prevent owners from inflating team value right before selling. Maybe a buyer would agree to pay the fine on top of the franchise price knowing sports teams are seeing exponential growth in worth lately.
Or the owners waive the penalty, because right now I don't know if the Chargers value is all that much more than being San Diego

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Other NFL moves have involved at least plausible outs in stadium contracts - I realize some are bitter about the Rams move, but there WAS an out for it.

Vegas has just started building the stadium. There is a contract, and money has been spent. With the Raiders' history I doubt that Vegas left an easy out for them.

Plus while the Rams had pressure on them to get the Chargers' lease done quickly - I doubt there would be any pressure on the Rams to give the Raiders a favorable lease at this stage. I think "gouging" would be the term. So the Raiders would have to give up a very favorable contract for a bad one. Don't see it happening.

I could see the NFL trying to find a buyer for the Chargers, and subsidizing the sale by increasing the stadium subsidy for San Diego, while also making it clear to Spanos that anything the NFL can legally do to chip away at the Chargers revenues would be done. Poor start time, poor schedule within the rules, prime time game routinely is Sunday night followed by a Thursday game, etc

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If they make little money, the pressure will mount. If the embarrassment when among NFL owner peers is too strong because he is degrading "The Shield"....pressure will mount....I guess if he's pig headed about this we will see.

The thing is though he moved because he will make a lot more money in LA when the new stadium opens.

It's too bad the NFL doesn't have the bylaw the NBA has. Spanos is the type of owner I loathe.

Or the owners waive the penalty, because right now I don't know if the Chargers value is all that much more than being San Diego

The owners won't want to give up that cash in pocket, but a new owner may decide to pay more to cover the cost.

What is the penalty.......I don't have a clue what it is.

And the relocation has to be figured in..........that's being paid over ten years.

Other NFL moves have involved at least plausible outs in stadium contracts - I realize some are bitter about the Rams move, but there WAS an out for it.

Cleveland has no out at all, they walked on a lease. That's why Modell was forced to leave behind the history, logos and colors. The city sued him and he wasn't sure he could win so he bailed rather than fighting and spending money.

The Oilers played as lame ducks until the lease expired.

Davis moved the Raiders and I think he still had a lease. There was a lot of litigation as you remember. I don't even know how much cheddar the attorney made but probably a lifetimes worth. I don't recall the situation about moving back to Oakland but I remember Davis sued the NFL over something after he returned to that town from LA.

I think Bidwell broke a lease to leave STL.

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else. It's been a mixed bag for moves.

NBA moves if you follow that sport have been somewhat the same.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Raiders are a national brand so Vegas is going to be a brilliant move for them. Every weekend the I-15 is packed with SoCal people going for the weekend. They will draw consistently from SoCal, Vegas, and visiting teams and pack in the crowds.

Spanos is just garbage. The Padres got a stadium built downtown while Spanos blundered his way through failed attempts because he and his broke @$$ family had zero resources or clout in the community. Now in LA it's a damn train wreck.

Spanos right now is thinking Sam Darnold. I'll bet they tank for him too in an effort to win over some USC faithful and get some buzz.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nah, Spanos is screwed. The Chargers will keep on barely losing, except for the game against the winless Browns, which they will win, missing out on Darnold, and again getting this year's equivalent of Ryan Leaf.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Raiders are a national brand so Vegas is going to be a brilliant move for them. Every weekend the I-15 is packed with SoCal people going for the weekend. They will draw consistently from SoCal, Vegas, and visiting teams and pack in the crowds.

This would be one of the factors that would make a guy lean towards LA. Money aside, there is a real chance that the crowd ends up packed with fans of the opposing teams who will "make a weekend of it" and go to Sin City and play around and then go see their team. It's a "boys weekend" every game, a road trip. And with brokers having access to so many tickets that won't be an issue.

They will pull Raiders fans from LA no doubt, and being new to town people will want to go to games.

It's a tough call. Some posters have said that the move to LV is set in stone and if that's the case good, because I don't want the Raiders in LA. I just don't like their fans.

Personally if there were 4 teams in LA, or 5 teams or whatever it makes no difference to me I am a Rams fan and it doesn't matter if the Chargers or anyone else are playing on Sundays when the Rams are on the road. I simply don't feel bothered by that. But with the Raiders there is something about their fans that is cringe worthy. I just don't like them.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It will be interesting to see the attendance for this Rams Seahawks game. Is LA ready to come watch or do they need more proof?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It will be interesting to see the attendance for this Rams Seahawks game. Is LA ready to come watch or do they need more proof?
Boy, if they don't show up with the team being 3-1, leading the division and having beaten DAL... boy, if that's not enough, they are one tough crowd!!
(and shame on them).

bluecoconuts

Legend
You bring up a good possibility for the Chargers Loyal. London may be their best option, or even Mexico city.

Send them to St Louis, they deserve a team, they'll love them, St Louis gets more lightning than San Diego ever will, and it'll help grow that rivalry with KC. Plus all four teams are pretty close to each other in terms of their latitude (at least until the Raiders go to Vegas), so that's kind of neat I guess.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The thing is though he moved because he will make a lot more money in LA when the new stadium opens.

It's too bad the NFL doesn't have the bylaw the NBA has. Spanos is the type of owner I loathe.

The owners won't want to give up that cash in pocket, but a new owner may decide to pay more to cover the cost.

What is the penalty.......I don't have a clue what it is.

And the relocation has to be figured in..........that's being paid over ten years.

Cleveland has no out at all, they walked on a lease. That's why Modell was forced to leave behind the history, logos and colors. The city sued him and he wasn't sure he could win so he bailed rather than fighting and spending money.

The Oilers played as lame ducks until the lease expired.

Davis moved the Raiders and I think he still had a lease. There was a lot of litigation as you remember. I don't even know how much cheddar the attorney made but probably a lifetimes worth. I don't recall the situation about moving back to Oakland but I remember Davis sued the NFL over something after he returned to that town from LA.

I think Bidwell broke a lease to leave STL.

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else. It's been a mixed bag for moves.

NBA moves if you follow that sport have been somewhat the same.

I believe the fee was 20% of the franchise value if sold in the first 5 years and 10% if sold in the first 10 years after relocation. That's a pretty ridiculous fee.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I believe the fee was 20% of the franchise value if sold in the first 5 years and 10% if sold in the first 10 years after relocation. That's a pretty ridiculous fee.

Spanos is too much of a pig for money to pay that kind of fee.

But we also know the NFL will change rules minute to minute to meet and satisfy the agenda or task at hand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Spanos is too much of a pig for money to pay that kind of fee.

But we also know the NFL will change rules minute to minute to meet and satisfy the agenda or task at hand.

What I don't understand with the owners is why they aren't in favor of new blood. It took new blood in the form of Kroenke to solve LA in a legitimate plan that transformed a rundown Inglewood. Look at what Jones did for Dallas, or Allen with the Shehawks. Granted not all of them are winning (ahem Dolphins) but it has to be a boon to the league to load up the ownership footprint with the elite rich, who as a group are going to be more capable of assisting in stadium problem solving moving forward.

Stadiums are always going to be a problem. The "Heirloom Owners" like Spanos and his brood, or the Raiders and Davis don't really add much to the equation. They're hungry mouths.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
It's not a battle. This is simply the Rams taking the Chargers out back, beating them into a pulp, kicking their dicks so far up that they become vaginas, and then slaughtering them like cattle.

Yeah but wouldn't that be a personal foul?