TexasRam's O-line Grades - Game 1 Da Bears.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
Hey all,

Below are my grades for week 1 after rewinding the tape and watching each snap of each lineman.

First off let me say overall an excellent job by our starting 5. There were only 26 passing attempts and more than a few were quick passes. For the drop backs that took some time to develop while in the pocket our guys held up exceptionally well. No huge push in the run game but Da Bears front and linebackers plugged holes real well.

I didn’t see any drop-backs where any lineman missed an assignment or was immediately beat. There was a 2 second count on each pass.

Brian Allen did have two snaps where he gave up pressure and was beat after the initial block but that is all. I’ll show the snapshots below.

My Unbiased Grades:

Whitworth - B+ - Overall solid game containing Quinn. Not sure how much Quinn has left but Big Whit handled him well. Whit had 1 inside move from The DE that he lost but Stafford got the ball out. Whit also got pushed aside on a run block one time. Other then that, very solid. He appears about 85% of his prime young self. Which is still really good.

Edwards - B - not much to say besides very solid. Not a whole lot of push in the run game, but decent job overall. Solid pass pro.

Allen - B minus -Allen really was solid besides those two breakdowns in pass pro. On the sack near the end zone, Whit and Edwards guys were pushing the pocket as well - but Allen’s man was running free. Big difference. He fell to the ground and was beat 2x in this game. But again Hicks and Co. are very talented - so he gets a B minus overall. Allen was pretty good in the run game. He missed a few linebackers but was great on the combo blocks and was assignment sound. Several solid 2nd level blocks.

Corbett - B - Overall real solid. Had the Big block on the Hendo TD run. Had some mauling moments and pretty solid in pass pro.

Havenstein - A minus - Had one of his best games. Played Mack near perfect in pass pro and was stonewalling guys in the run game as normal. You have to really give him credit in this game because he handled Mack one on one nearly every snap without help. Mack has been dropping off as of last year but he’s still a force.

Brian Allen pics below. His only two pass pro snaps in which he got beat.

0E249040-904A-4980-BEA9-E7E0255E80E2.jpeg

D3B303D7-A3F5-4D79-91CF-C7A025B0B3B1.jpeg

And as promised.......I changed my Avatar since Allen had held up against Hicks and Co. without giving up a sack or TFL. It wasn't a perfect game but good enough to have faith in him going forward. Good job Allen.

Go Rams!!!

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Great analyses as always @TexasRam and I concur across the board, I was really impressed as the OL came together at the end of the game and provided the holes for Henderson to close out the game, that was nice to see as the rest of the game they struggled to get the run game consistently going.

As to Brian Allen, I came away pleased as his snaps were consistent and accurate plus he was communicating well across the line. Again, new OL Coach Kevin Carberry seems to be more of a passing protection type of OL Coach opposed to the running game, but overall I was pleased with the units performance against one of the better defensive lines.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Can't complain about the overall line play. Bears are stout up front. The line did a good job most the night.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Fun read thx.

I am definitely impressed with Carberry. His lines produced in preseason vs better competition. And the first game was solid but also the OL took over the game late.

Lastly it seemed like the Bears' game plan was to roll up tight and load it up in the box like teams have been doing the past couple years and they paid for that. If you play the 2021 Rams and key heavy on the run this QB will BBQ your ass over the top.

So maybe that late game run surge was the Bears respecting the pass, idk. Either way a 20 point win margin in game one is a great start. :startstruck:

Malibu

Pro Bowler
The line to be very effective with the sharp Stafford putting them situations is mixing up run pass ratio better

Psycho_X

Legend
Lastly it seemed like the Bears' game plan was to roll up tight and load it up in the box like teams have been doing the past couple years and they paid for that. If you play the 2021 Rams and key heavy on the run this QB will BBQ your ass over the top.
Aye, was very nice to see our ability to counter it finally. Was kind of poetic to be playing the team that created the blueprint in 2018 to stop us with our new look offense. We didn't have any jet sweeps or crazy wr screens at all yesterday... was good to not see either of those plays for a whole game. A few nice TE screens and Woods running out of the backfield was a welcome variety on those old type of plays. Offense just feels innovative again and they barely had to scratch that surface I think.

Tano

Legend
I would have liked to see a couple fake jet sweeps just to keep the defense honest.

Bring in Tutu on a couple plays to run the fake jet sweeps.

Never know the one time we might give it to him.

But that is just nitpicking by me. Otherwise, there were just a couple bad plays by the offense.

Can't really get better than that.

fearsomefour

Legend
Havenstein made Mack a non factor.
Allen was solid enough for me to stop obsessively watching him by mid second quarter.
Having a good solid Center makes a huge difference for this team. Hopefully he can maintain.
The combo blocks inside worked pretty well.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I would have liked to see a couple fake jet sweeps just to keep the defense honest.
I also noticed the lack of any jet-sweep-action. However, it reminded me of last year's Bears' game.

Rams were up 24-3 in the middle of the fourth quarter, and ran Woods on a jet-sweep. Tackled behind the line, fumbled, ball recovered by Chicago and returned for a touchdown. Maybe no jet-sweeps against the Bears is a good thing.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keep in mind that this is Brian Allen's what, 7th start of his career? I'm really impressed with him. And he hasn't played football in 2 years. Just amazing.

I'm still baffled at how many people wanted us to cut or trade Big Rob.

Tano

Legend
I also noticed the lack of any jet-sweep-action. However, it reminded me of last year's Bears' game.

Rams were up 24-3 in the middle of the fourth quarter, and ran Woods on a jet-sweep. Tackled behind the line, fumbled, ball recovered by Chicago and returned for a touchdown. Maybe no jet-sweeps against the Bears is a good thing.
Yeah but if they were fake then no fumble lol

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think someone ran a jet sweep. But we definitely didn't run many. It was a game of seven and I want to say it was woods. Or maybe that kind of run isn't considered a jet sweep?

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I've defended Havenstein endlessly. Many want him gone because of his contract, but he is a proven NFL RT that is still in his prime. The game is won and lost in the trenches. It's the one spot I actually do not mind overpaying. You don't get rid of those guy without a capable replacement. I am not convinced the Rams have a capable replacement. Havenstein has his warts. But most non-elite players do. Big Rob is going to have to be a big piece going forward. He shined in pass pro last night vs. Mack, but it's actually as a run blocker where he really excels! Hats off to Havenstein!

Ram65

Legend
Glad the O line got good grades.

Havenstein looks quicker getting back in his stance on the pass against Mack.

Ram65

Legend
I think someone ran a jet sweep. But we definitely didn't run many. It was a game of seven and I want to say it was woods. Or maybe that kind of run isn't considered a jet sweep?
IIRC it was D Jackson for little gain.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Maybe I might want to take the below information into consideration on just how healthy Mack was last night & did Hav get the best that Mack usually brings?