Teams To Interview Raheem Morris For HC Vacancies

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What? He hasn’t called you yet? Was on the phone with him for hours!

You mean The Mcjoy phone that circles around the bung. WanWA

Pure Joy - it comes in black & it’s Blue after using.Need to read the label.

The name for it is The Ram-Hem!

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod

Pure Joy - it comes in black & it’s Blue after using.Need to read the label.

I’m not really sure what any of that means but…right on brother!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I couldn't count how many Fire Morris comments I saw on Twitter in 2021. Some here too. While a lot of us were frustrated with the cushions the DB's gave resulting in easy pitch and catch first downs, by the end of the game the opponents score was nowhere near what we thought it would be.

And the defense during the Superbowl run was really good. The only reason Tampa and Brady came back to tie the score was all the fumbles. If those didn't happen it woulda been a blowout. I know we'd get a couple nice comp picks if he's hired as coach somewhere. But all in all, I'd rather keep him as our DC for the Superbowl run.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would be fine with him staying with the Rams. It hasn’t been great at times. It’s been very good at times. A coach is only as good as his players.

Remember that during the playoff run in 2021 the Rams shored up a huge weakness when they signed Von Miller. It stopped teams from running on the outside so successfully.

Then they signed Eric Weddle. He picked up the defensive concepts instantly. He was the coach on the field that the defensive backfield lacked.

That defense played great. I think, with a few better players, Raheem can create a similarly dominant defense. He just needs a great edge, a great DB, or two.

Ellard80

Legend
Raheem has probably done his best coaching this year - taking a defense with not much elite nfl experience or talent and being competitive.

He certainly has the experience and steady persona to be a head coach.

But I'd be surprised if he gets hired this year - Our defense was like 20th in yards and 19th in scoring.

We know how remarkable that is given the holes in the secondary especially.

But some other fan base or stakeholders that will be behind hires will have a tough time understanding the nuances.

It will be tough, I think.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Pure Joy - it comes in black & it’s Blue after using. Need to read the label.

1704816051955.png

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Harbaugh is the new Chargers coach but you have to interview multiple to cover your requirements.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Guessing the Panthers owner will want an OC type to develop Young. Chargers just hired a DC type so they'll probably be thinking the same given that their QB has underwhelmed. Washington drafts 2 overall and will likely be taking a young QB so that's probably 3 of 3 leaning strongly toward OC background.

Raiders and Falcons are both the least unbiased jobs I'd think, in terms of offense being favored. Raiders because they just fired McDaniels and got a boost from a no-nonsense interim coach who got the roster to fight. And the Falcons because they just did the offensive genius thing and might be wondering what would have been had they opted for Raheem's strength in leadership.

Would be nice to see the Falcons put out an interview list with his name on it of course. And we should see more jobs as teams are eliminated going forward, but pickings feel tight with 3 hot coordinators plus Harbaugh. Also I don't see why anyone would want to hire Vrabel but he might also bogart a job. Hopefully there's two or three more coming in the playoffs.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I'm just puzzled with Morris, he seems like a really good leader, and would make a good head coach, in my opinion.

I just can't get why he used to give up those 15 yard cushions on every play. The only time that defense worked was in goal to go situations where if they were playing 15 yards off, they would be standing behind the goal posts.

He's done a great job with a bunch of kids this year, so I'd almost hate to see him leave. If he hadn't changed schemes this year, I would be all in favor of getting rid of him.

Tano

Legend
Because it wasn't true?
Well 15 yards is an exaggeration but he would have his CBs at minimum 7 yards back at the start of the play and drop back after the hike to at minimum 10 yards on the majority of the plays against some teams (Arizona and New Orleans were the biggest culprits last year).

The only time he didn't do that was the Carolina game and the first 3 quarters of the Tampa game last year.

He would give up 5 yard passes frequently on first and second down when the other team passed on those downs.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Well 15 yards is an exaggeration
Then why do people say it?

Why don't they look at the film? What is wrong with the truth? Start from there and then get into the details.
I've seen you recently post that the Rams played fairly tight coverages in the Tampa game ... when it is just not true.

I think people got frustrated and then would exaggerate, get angry, and not want the facts.

Not saying that is you, but I saw those kinds of comments from people. Some even going over the line (not saying you) by saying Morris was stupid and scared.

I think if people really wanted to know they could find the facts.

here is an example, back you you saying that Rams bade Brady "fairly tight" -- well that is a vague term and can be a misnomer, but will work with it.

Here are stills of all the snaps --- and circled is how many times the Rams were showing press. It was no more earlier -- you can divide by 1st half and 2nd half or 1st 3 Qs vs 4th-- but slice it how you want but what you think happened didn't happen

What did happen is yeah, they played off and "off means 8-10 yards (not 15) and it cost them the game ... there are specific details of that last drive, but that's a convo for another time.

But what you must also consider is that if the Rams can get 10 yards after a defensive stop then they win. And what was explained by Jourdan is there was a connection between the coverage to the offense last year.

To have proper discussions critics cannot continue to make accusations without any proof just "what they saw and remember" when they have the ability to see the film - but choose not to.

THEN you can get to a place of "I don't like it" and not this annoying (not saying you) "They played 15 yards off and that is WHY they lost". Opinions are fine, but opinions backed by evidence are more meaningful, IMO

But, see for yourself.

1st Q (2).jpg
2nd Q.jpg
3rd Q.jpg
4th Q.jpg

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rah has such an impact on this team that the tangential affect of his possible loss will be tough to measure and maybe even tougher to overcome. He has grown as a DC before our eyes and in my opinion is a top 5 DC as it stands.

He would be missed and I can only hope he is replaced by someone capable of continuing the growth of our young D. If he does get hired I hope it is sooner rather than later so we get the next one signed and allow him to put his stamp on the draft an free agency player acquisitions.
You had me at tangential

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
He seriously was giving up 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 7 almost every time. Not this year, but the last few. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that's not a good strategy.

shake-n-bake

Rookie
I hope he gets an opportunity. Reality is most of the games we lost this year were due to an offense that was bad a times. Look at the Cincinnati/Green Bay/ even the first whiner game. We were in all games. The offense either could not score or turned the ball over constantly or in bad momentum times. And the defense ended up playing 70% of the game and get tired. Happens to all other 31 teams.

Some who seem to hate him think defense should pitch a shut out all the time but never give that same hate to the offense when they muster 20 or less points. This is not 90s NFL. The best teams are averaging 24+ points. We didn't do that until after the bye.

Also know the previous DC is such a darling for some on this board. He went over to the Chargers and consistently had a 30+ ranked defense with a bunch of pro bowl talent. And why is that? To me it is adjustments. Each year an offense defense and players are studied by your opposition to find out how do I attack this scheme or player next year. It is also up to the coaches to self evaluate to determine how others will attack them next time. The reason Raheem can keep our defense going and not bottom 30 is he knows how to do that. Even with a bunch of pups who are still trying to find their way in the NFL. Staley didn't. He had one good year with the Rams. Teams got tape they evaluated how to attack it and Staley has yet to adjust years later.

Be careful what you wish for

Last edited:

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
He seriously was giving up 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 7 almost every time. Not this year, but the last few. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that's not a good strategy.
I agree it's not rocket science but it's also not something that is best judged from the couch. I get that people got mad and didn't like it -- it's frustrating.

But in fairness ... the results were there. I think it goes too far to imply that Morris isn't smart. Maybe you didn't mean it that way but you are suggesting you understand it's a bad strategy and he doesn't.

It seems like it was a good strategy. I see a Lombardi trophy

2024-01-10_0-40-58.jpg

And Staley did the same thing. And still does, well, did. And teams still do. It's not like this stuff is made up on the fly to frustrate fans. There is a little bit of theory, knowledge, and preparation that goes into this stuff. No, not rocket science but it's far more complex than we fans understand.

2020--and there are tons of examples...this was found on 1st 3rd and medium of this game ...
2024-01-10_0-55-11.jpg