Tavon May Not Play This Week.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm actually ok with tavon sitting down. I want to see what coop brings to the table. If they even use him that is.
I think they'll at least use him on PR - no? I think we'll see him lined up in the slot. But with both BQ and KB out wide, I don't think he'll see much time out there except for when they run trips. It will be interesting to see though. I'd also like to see Thomas get a few targets.

DthOn2Legs

Rookie
How much does it matter that the guy who ranks 85th in receiving yards won't play? Do the math...on average, nearly every team has three players who are putting up better stats than him. I say it's a good thing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eh, if he's injured, sit him. We can see what the young WRs can do.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they'll at least use him on PR - no? I think we'll see him lined up in the slot. But with both BQ and KB out wide, I don't think he'll see much time out there except for when they run trips. It will be interesting to see though. I'd also like to see Thomas get a few targets.

Yea, Cooper will return punts. I think we'll also see him in the slot, like you said. Will be interesting. He's a bigger, more physical guy than Tavon. Has a larger catch radius too.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yea, Cooper will return punts. I think we'll also see him in the slot, like you said. Will be interesting. He's a bigger, more physical guy than Tavon. Has a larger catch radius too.
Yeah - I'm kind of excited to see him play. I also think it will be interesting to see the combination of he and Goff. Something tells me that might end up being a pretty good combo. What do you think Jrry? Could Coop be a more physical Amendola for Goff? I like the idea of having a guy the QB can count on to move the sticks when the D is not giving you much else.

You watched him quite a bit in college - no?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah - I'm kind of excited to see him play. I also think it will be interesting to see the combination of he and Goff. Something tells me that might end up being a pretty good combo. What do you think Jrry? Could Coop be a more physical Amendola for Goff? I like the idea of having a guy the QB can count on to move the sticks when the D is not giving you much else.

You watched him quite a bit in college - no?

More or less. He's not really Danny (as you pointed out). But he can play that role. That's just not Tavon's role. People look at his size and think slot. But that's not his game. You need a guy in the slot who specializes at working through, catching the ball in, and reading coverage in traffic. That's not Tavon's game. He's a guy you want in the open-field, not traffic.

As for Pharoh vs. Danny, Danny was a quicker guy. Pharoh is a thicker, stronger guy. I'd say Pharoh is more like Davone Bess (in Miami), Patrick Crayton, or Jerricho Cotchery. Basically, he's a strong, tough, sure-handed kid who should do well out of the slot if he develops as a route runner.

FRO

Legend
More or less. He's not really Danny (as you pointed out). But he can play that role. That's just not Tavon's role. People look at his size and think slot. But that's not his game. You need a guy in the slot who specializes at working through, catching the ball in, and reading coverage in traffic. That's not Tavon's game. He's a guy you want in the open-field, not traffic.

As for Pharoh vs. Danny, Danny was a quicker guy. Pharoh is a thicker, stronger guy. I'd say Pharoh is more like Davone Bess (in Miami), Patrick Crayton, or Jerricho Cotchery. Basically, he's a strong, tough, sure-handed kid who should do well out of the slot if he develops as a route runner.
Which is my biggest disappointment with Tavon. I thought he could be Wes Welker with 4.2 speed. With his ability to stop and start I thought he would develop into a deadly short/intermediate route runner. His game just hasn't developed to where I thought it would. He is more or less a good gadget player that is capable of making big plays, but doesn't give you consistent plays.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
PR for sure. I think he can be a better slot receiver than tavon as @jrry32 pointed out. Let's hope he doesn't muff any punts as rookies tend to do.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Thanks. I was talking about Pharoh. And I will admit that I don't know much about the games of the guys you mentioned. I know the names but I'd be lying if I said I have really watched them to any extent. I know Danny was very quick and had pretty good hands. It doesn't seem that Pharoh (in the limited targets he's had so far) looks like he plays too much slower - maybe not as quick in and out of cuts. He seems to round off rather than cut. Not quite as shifty. I'd like to see more of him though.

I agree that Tavon is not a slot guy. I think he can be used over the middle or on crossing routes but I don't see that starting from the slot position unless he is crossing the field on pick plays or such. He's not the guy you want to have to be hitting in coverage.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which is my biggest disappointment with Tavon. I thought he could be Wes Welker with 4.2 speed. With his ability to stop and start I thought he would develop into a deadly short/intermediate route runner. His game just hasn't developed to where I thought it would. He is more or less a good gadget player that is capable of making big plays, but doesn't give you consistent plays.

He's a guy who could be really good. But he needs the perfect opportunity.

Basically, he needs to be in an offense with a very accurate QB that schemes WRs open and has other WRs who can take coverage away from him. He needs 1-on-1 opportunities against man coverage in the open-field.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks. I was talking about Pharoh. And I will admit that I don't know much about the games of the guys you mentioned. I know the names but I'd be lying if I said I have really watched them to any extent. I know Danny was very quick and had pretty good hands. It doesn't seem that Pharoh (in the limited targets he's had so far) looks like he plays too much slower - maybe not as quick in and out of cuts. He seems to round off rather than cut. Not quite as shifty. I'd like to see more of him though.

I agree that Tavon is not a slot guy. I think he can be used over the middle or on crossing routes but I don't see that starting from the slot position unless he is crossing the field on pick plays or such. He's not the guy you want to have to be hitting in coverage.

Those guys were all more or less how you described Pharoh. In the 5'11" to 6'1" 195 to 210 pound range. Played out of the slot. Not the quickest in and out of breaks but strong, tough, physical, and very good at coming down with balls in traffic. Basically, chain-moving possession WRs.

FRO

Legend
He's a guy who could be really good. But he needs the perfect opportunity.

Basically, he needs to be in an offense with a very accurate QB that schemes WRs open and has other WRs who can take coverage away from him. He needs 1-on-1 opportunities against man coverage in the open-field.
Like the Patriots. They always seem to have a guy wide open. Once in the open field he is deadly. Getting him there is the task, a task the Rams have failed.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like the Patriots. They always seem to have a guy wide open. Once in the open field he is deadly. Getting him there is the task, a task the Rams have failed.

Nah. Not the Patriots. Packers make a lot of sense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This doesn't bother me in the least. He hasn't done squat in this offense really, and Coop has far better hands and body control going up for the ball. Looking forward to seeing what the young, hungry wideout can do in this offense.

Also hoping that Higbee's gonna start factoring in here down the stretch. That would be nice as well.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Brady has a bum knee? :dizzy: He's gonna be a statue back there, ready for the pummeling. :yess: I don't care if Rams loose, as long as the Rams D knocks him on his cheating azz all day long.:mrburnsevil: I want to see someone knock the snot out of his arrogant azz. :deadhorse:

…..

Legend
Being last in the league in scoring, with a visibly painful offense to watch, Tavons absence cant have too much of a negative impact. Especially considering his targets have dramatically decreased the last 4 games.

Will be interesting to see what direction they go with this. Naturally you'd assume Cooper will get a few extra reps, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he got none and Higbee ended up getting some extra looks. They can also line up Gurley out wide to take on the inevitable 2 or 3 WR screens we try to deploy each game. I'm pretty sure Marquez has Tavons route trees down as well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Could be wrong,but I don't think Tavon has been focusing enough on his route running and hands during the off season.

I just take the positive out of it. It gives Cooper a chance to play & create compition.It's not like The Rams are going to the playoffs. Experience is good.
--I'm upset on the contract extension The Rams have to Tavon Austin. I was upset when The Rams traded up to get a smallish WR as well.I believe it set The Rams back a little. Snead was always so good at trading back & trusting there board.
Same with Greg Robinson. Why not trade back ?? The Rams needed WR & OL help. They could have drafted both by trading around. Then again Fisher wanted Johnny Football as well. Lucky to have Aaron Donald.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow. A whole week without a jet sweep, or is Cooper going to do that as well.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah, count me among the majority that won't miss Tavon at all, at least for one game.

I'm encouraged by the glimpse of our future that Goff provided early on last week.

I wanna see what Goff can do with Cooper, Higbee, and maybe even Thomas.

What do we have to lose by giving these rookies a few targets? It's not as if a playoff slot is at stake.

I'm of the belief that Goff will increasingly be able to elevate the play of our various receivers. And that certainly includes Britt and Quick, BTW.

Let's turn these rookies loose and just let them play, dammit!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Don't get the Tavon bashing. No he's not gonna be the 1000+ yard receiver and we need to stop putting that expectation on him. He's a multi-offensive weapon and you have to count all facets of his game to determine his worth.